VERNONIA CINEREA (NEICHITTI KEERAI) REGENERATES PROXIMAL TUBULES IN CISPLATININDUCED RENAL DAMAGE IN MICE
Objective: The aim of the study was to evaluate whether Vernonia cinerea (VC) regenerates the proximal renal tubular cells in cisplatin-induced necrosis in male Swiss albino mice.
Methods: The crude aqueous extract (CAE) of VC was fractionated from non-polar to polar using different solvents. Mice were injected a single dose of cisplatin (15 mg/kg) on day 1, which took 5 days to cause maximal renal damage. From day 6, CAE and all fractions were orally administered (200, 300, and 400 mg/kg) for 5 continuous days. On day 11, blood was collected to estimate urea and creatinine. Kidney was collected for histology and grading was done.
Results: Cisplatin induced proximal renal tubular damage (grade 5) in corticomedullary junction, characterized by necrosis, proximal tubular dilatation, inflammation and vasodilation. Aqueous fraction (AF) did not show any regeneration; whereas, 400 mg/kg dose of CAE and butanol fraction (BF) showed a significant reduction (p<0.001) in proximal tubular damage (Grade 3) and 50â€“75% regeneration of proximal tubular epithelial cells.
Conclusion: This is the first study to demonstrate the regenerative potential of Neichitti kashayam (CAE of VC) and its BF in cisplatin-induced proximal tubular damage in kidney. Further study is warranted to find out the dose regimen for complete regeneration, lead compounds, and molecular mechanism.
2. Santoso JT, Lucci JA, Coleman RL, Schafer I, Hannigan EV. Saline, mannitol, and furosemide hydration in acute cisplatin nephrotoxicity: A randomized trial. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2003;52:13-8.
3. Taguchi T, Nazneen A, Abid MR, Razzaque MS. Cisplatin-associated nephrotoxicity and pathological events. Contrib Nephrol 2005;148:107-21.
4. Adikay S, Sravanthi U. Alleviation of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in albino rats by roots of Catunaregam uliginosa. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:147-51.
5. Singh RK, Gautam RK, Karchuli MS. Evaluation of nephroprotective activity of Mentha arvensis in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:188-91.
6. Anusuya1 N, Durgadevi P, Dhinek A, Mythily S. Nephroprotective effect of ethanolic extract of garlic (Allium sativum l.) on cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity in male wistar rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:97-100.
7. Sushma M, Prasad KV, Bai DJ, Vijay R, Rao VU. Prophylactic and curative effect of ethanolic extract of Bassia malabarica bark against cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:143-6.
8. Varier PS. Indian Medicinal Plants. Vol. 5. Chennai: Orietnal Longman Private Ltd.; 2004. p. 358-60.
9. Kirtikar KR, Basu BD. Indian Medicinal Plants-II. New India, New Connaught Place, Dehradun: International Book Distributors; 1978. p. 13, 232.
10. Iwalewa EO, Iwalewa OJ, Adeboye JO. Analgesic, antipyretic, anti-inflammatory effects of methanol, chloroform and ether extracts of Vernonia cinerea less leaf. J Ethnopharmacol 2003;86:229-34.
11. Gupta M, Mazumder UK, Manikandan L, Bhattacharya S, Haldar PK, Roy S, et al. Evaluation of antipyretic potential of Vernonia cinerea extract in rats. Phytother Res 2003;17:804-6.
12. Latha LY, Darah I, Jain K, Sasidharan S. Effects of Vernonia cinerea less methanol extract on growth and morphogenesis of Candida albicans. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2011;15:543-9.
13. Ganesh P, Kumar KV, Kumar HS. Antidiarrhoeal activity of methanolic extract of Vernonia cinerea (L.) Less on female albino rats. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:211-3.
14. Kumar PP, Kuttan G. Vernonia cinerea L. Scavenges free radicals and regulates nitric oxide and proinflammatory cytokines profile in carrageenan induced paw edema model. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 2009;31:94-102.
15. Pillai CK. Siddha Materia Medica-Vegetable Kingdom. Vol. 1. India: Rathna Nayakar and Sons; 2006. p. 472-3.
16. Sreedevi A, Bharathi K, Prasad KV. Effect of Vernonia cinerea aerial parts against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Pharmacol Online 2011;2:548-55.
17. Ciarimboli G, Deuster D, Knief A, Sperling M, Holtkamp M, Edemier B, et al. Organic cation transporter 2 mediates cisplatin-induced oto-and nephrotoxicity and is a target for protective interventions. Am J Pathol 2010;176:1169-80.
18. Lee S, Kim W, Moon SO, Sung MJ, Kim DH, Kang KP, et al. Rosiglitazone ameliorates cisplatin-induced renal injury in mice. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006;21:2096-105.
19. Ali M, Mruthunjaya K, Nandini C, Nabeel K, Manjula SN. Chemoprotective effect of noni (Morinda citrifolia L.) fruit juice against cisplatin-induced Nephrotoxicity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:105-10.
20. Talukdar A, Kalita RD, Gohain N, Saikia K, Kalita MC. Nephroprotective activity of the ethnomedicinal plants Caesalpinia bonduc and Momordica dioica from NE India against cisplatin induced chemotherapeutic toxicity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:96-103.
21. Nishadh A, Gokilaveni C, Selvi A, Mahalakshmi R. Antioxidant activities of ethanolic extract of Vernonia cinerea in carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic damage in rats. Int J Curr Res 2013;5:1441-4.
22. Laosim T, Chuchawankul S, Tencomnao T. Immunomodulatory effect of hexane extract of Vernonia cinerea Less. Trunk on human peripheral blood mononuclear cells. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3:188-95.
23. Haque A, Hassan M, Das A, Begam B, Ali Y, Moshed H. Phytochemical investigation of Vernonia cinerea (Family: Asteracae). J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:79-83.