EFFICACY OF ORMELOXIFENE IN MANAGEMENT OF DYSFUNCTIONAL UTERINE BLEEDING
Objective: The objective was to evaluate the efficacy of ormeloxifene in dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) with respect to bleeding pattern and improvement in hemoglobin (Hb).
Methods: This was an interventional study on 99 patients of DUB visiting the gynecology outpatient department over 1 year using semi-structured pro forma. After voluntary participation of patients, tablet ormeloxifene was given at the dose of 30 mg biweekly for 2 months. In case of a therapeutic response as informed by the patient, the dose was reduced to 30 mg weekly for a further period of 4 months. All patients were treated for 6 months. Type, amount, and duration of bleeding, frequency of menstrual cycle, passage of clots, and impact on Hb were assessed.
Result and Observations: Menorrhagia was the main type of bleeding. 36â€“40 years of age group was the most common. After the intervention, 76.8% of women achieved a duration of bleeding of 4â€“5 days, and in 87% of women, menstrual cycle became regular. Passage of clots was reduced by 71.83%. Mean Hb concentration of study participants increased by 0.5 g/dl at the end of the study.
Conclusion: Ormeloxifene is effective alternative and appears to be a promising option for the medical management of DUB.
2. Annigeri C, Katti T, Karaddi S. Histopathological spectrum of endometrium in dysfuctional uterine bleeding with respect to age, parity and bleeding pattern. BMR Med 2014;1:1-12.
3. Butler WJ. Normal and abnormal uterine bleeding. In: Rock AJ, Jones HW, editors. TeLindeâ€™s Operative Gynaecology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2003. p. 461.
4. Chen BH, Guidice LC. Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. West J Med 1998;169:280-4.
5. Awwad JT, Toth TL, Schiff I. Abnormal uterine bleeding in the perimenopause. Int J Fertil 1993;38:261.
6. Goldstein SR, Nanavati N. Selective oestrogen receptor modulator levormeloxifene in the treatment of osteoporosis. Am J Obstetr Gynaecol 2002;187:521.
7. Yadav VK. Centchroman: A better alternative for hormonal oral Contraceptive pills. Int J Pharm BioSci 2011;2:587-92.
8. Lai J. Clinical pharmacokinetics and interaction of centchroman - A mini review. Contraception 2010;81:275-80.
9. Zaidi D, Singh N, Ahmed IZ, Sharma R, Balapure A. Ant proliferative effects of curcumin plus centchroman in MCF-7 and MDA MB-231 cells. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:2212-16.
10. Hebbar S. Epilepsy and oral hormonal contraception-Indian perspective. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:1-6.
11. Mandal D, Parmanik S, Surana S, Hazra A, Mandal S, Maity TK. Comparative study of low-dose oral contraceptive pill and ormeloxifene in the treatment of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Int J Health Allied Sci 2014;3:225-31.
12. Shabab F, Jain S, Jain J, Jain U. Ormeloxifene: Boon to perimenopausal dysfunctional uterine bleeding (DUB) women in avoiding hysterectomies. Int J Med Sci Educ 2014;1:21-9.
13. Agarwal N, Singh S. the efficacy and safety of ormeloxifene in dysfunctional uterine bleeding. J Pharm Biol Sci 2013;5:18-21.
14. Grover S, Chhabra A, Bindu S. a study of ormeloxifene in case of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Int J Med and Dent Sci 2013;2:162-9.
15. Komaram R, Palla J, Chintada GS. A study of efficacy of ormeloxifene in the pharmacological management of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. J Clin Diag Res 2013;7:2534-6.
16. Godha Z, MOhsin Z, Hakim S, Waseem S. Comparative study of ormeloxifene and medroxyprogesterone acetate in abnormal uterine bleeding. J Obstetr Gynecol India 2016;66:S395-9.
17. Soniya P, Verma A, Verma P, Gupta R, Sharma B. Role of ormeloxifene in management of abnormal uterine bleeding. Sch J App Med Sci 2017;5:796-9.
18. Singh HO, Singh A, Dhole TN, Nain S. Effect of ormeloxifene for management of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Biochem Physiol 2015;4:174.
19. Bhattacharyya TK, Banerji A. Efficacy of selective estrogen receptor modulator: Ormeloxifene in management of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. South Asian Fed Obstetr Gynecol 2010;2:207-11.
20. Jacob KJ, Mini, Deepak AV. A comparative study on the effectiveness of ormeloxifene versus norethisterone in the management of perimenopausal dysfunctional uterine bleeding. IAIM 2015;2:87-92.
21. Ahmed SB, Mogri S, Barala S. Role of ormeloxifene in the management of dysfunctional uterine bleeding: A prospective study. Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol 2016;5:4373-6.
22. Dhananjay BS, Nanda SK. Role of sevista in the management of dysfunctional uterine bleeding. J Clin Diag Res 2013;7:132-4.
23. Khan SA, Manzoor M, Abdullah A, Banoo A. Efficacy and safety of ormeloxifene in the management of dysfunction uterine bleeding. J Dent Med Sci 2014;13:39-42.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.