COLD ANTIBODY-MEDIATED AUTOIMMUNE HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA IN A PATIENT WITH OVERLAP SYNDROME OF SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS WITH SJOGREN’S SYNDROME
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a systemic autoimmune disorder commonly seen in females characterized by multisystem inflammation with the production of an array of antibodies. Hematological disturbances are common in SLE specifically autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) which results from the development of autoantibodies directed against antigens on the surface of patient’s own red blood cells. Here, we present a rare case of a 50-year-old female patient presenting with cold antibody-mediated AIHA.
2. Giannouli S, Voulgarelis M, Ziakas PD, Tzioufas AG. Anaemia in systemic lupus erythematosus: From pathophysiology to clinical assessment. Ann Rheum Dis 2006;65:144-8.
3. Srinivasan N, Oswal A, Garg S, Nahar J, Gosmonova A, Nahar R, et al. Cold agglutinin induced hemolysis in a newly diagnosed systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Med Sci 2010;339:270-3.
4. Kotani T, Takeuchi T, Kawasaki Y, Hirano S, Tabushi Y, Kagitani M, et al. Successful treatment of cold agglutinin disease with anti-CD20 antibody (rituximab) in a patient with systemic lupus erythematosus. Lupus 2006;15:683-5.
5. Gupta N, Sharma S, Seth T, Mishra P, Mahapatra M, Kumar S, et al. Rituximab in steroid refractory autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Indian J Pediatr 2012;79:803-5.
6. Glaser M, Glaser A, Skalicky M. Long lasting remission by rituximab in a patient with primary cold agglutinin autoimmune hemolyticanemia. Wien Klin Wochenschr 2011;2013:680-3.
7. Peñalver FJ, Alvarez-Larrán A, Díez-Martin JL, Gallur L, Jarque I, Caballero D, et al. Rituximab is an effective and safe therapeutic alternative in adults with refractory and severe autoimmune hemolytic anemia. Ann Hematol 2010;89:1073-80.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.