CYTOTOXIC EFFECT OF PEPTIDE FUNCTIONALIZED SILVER NANOPARTICLES SYNTHESIZED FROM ALOIN ON BREAST CANCER CELL LINE
Objective: The aim of the present study is to synthesize the silver (Ag) nanoparticle using Aloin with a focus on its antibacterial, antioxidant, and anticancer activity.
Methods: The silver nanoparticles were synthesized using Aloin and were determined by UV-Visible spectrum. It was further characterized by scanning electron microscope (SEM), zeta potential, and dynamic light scattering (DLS). The Fourier transform infrared analysis was also carried out for the Aloin.
Results: The UV-Visible absorption spectrum of the synthesized silver nanoparticles has shown the absorption peak at 439nm which proves the formation of silver nanoparticles in the solution. The SEM analysis revealed that the Ag nanoparticles were spherical in shape. The IR spectra showed that there are 6 functional groups are present in Aloin extract. The synthesized nanoparticles are found to be highly stable with an average particle size of 130.7nm which was confirmed by zeta potential and DLS analysis. The synthesized nanoparticles had a good antibacterial and antioxidant activity. It shows a very good cytotoxic effect against breast cancer cell line.
Conclusion: The present study suggests that the synthesis route is free from the requirements such as high energy, extended preparation time, and special equipments and thus can be used for large-scale synthesis in food industries for food preservation and these Ag nanoparticles can be used for its therapeutic purposes for developing a new drug against cancer.
2. Prabhu S, Poulose EK. Silver nanoparticles: Mechanism of antimicrobial action, synthesis, medical applications and toxicity effects. Int Nano Lett 2012;2:1-10.
3. Atherton P. Aloe vera revisited. Br J Phytother 1998;4:76-83.
4. Shelton RM. Aloe vera Its chemical and therapeutic properties. Int J Dermatol 1991;30:679-83.
5. Atherton P. The Essential Aloe vera: The Actions and the Evidence. 2nd ed. Oxford: Mill Enterprises; 1997.
6. Nounagnon MS, Dah-Nouvlessounon D, N’tcha C, Legba B, Baba-moussa F, Adjanohoun A, et al. Phytochemistry and biological activities of Crateva adansonii extracts. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:62-7.
7. Choudhary RS, Bhamare NB, Mahure BV. Bioreduction of silver nanoparticles using different plant extracts and its bioactivity against E. coli and A. niger. IOSR J Agric Vet Sci 2014;7:7-11.
8. Zhang XF, Liu ZG, Shen W, Gurunathan S. Silver nanoparticles: Synthesis, characterization, properties, applications, and therapeutic approaches. Int J Mol Sci 2016;17:E1534.
9. Narsih, Kumalaningsih S, Wignyanto, Wijana S. Identification of aloin and saponin and chemical composition of volatile constituents from Aloe vera (L.) Peel. J Agric Food Tech 2012;2:79-84.
10. Duman O, Tunc S. Electro kinetic and rheological properties of Na-bentonite in some electrolyte solutions. Microporous Mesoporous Mater 2009;117:331-8.
11. Tomaszewska E, Soliwoda K, Kadziola K, Tkacz-Szczesna B, Celichowski G, Cichomski M, et al. Detection limits of DLS and UV-Vis spectroscopy in characterization of poly disperse nanoparticles colloids. J Nanomater 2013;2013:1-10.
12. Hajipour MJ, Fromm KM, Ashkarran AA, Jimenez de Aberasturi D, de Larramendi IR, Rojo T, et al. Antibacterial properties of nanoparticles. Trends Biotechnol 2012;30:499-511.
13. Sathisha AD, Lingaraju HB, Prasad KS. Evaluation of antioxidant activity of medicinal plant extracts produced for commercial purpose. E J Chem 2011;8:882-6.
14. Arya P. Antioxidant, phytochemical and antibacterial action of Himalayan medicinal herbs Peristrophe bicalyculata Leaves extract against respiratory tract pathogens. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:16 21.
15. Sharma R, Chandan G, Chahal A, Saini RV. Antioxidant and anticancer activity of methanolic extract from Stephania elegans. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:245-9.
16. Lalitha V, Korah MC, Sengottuvel S, Sivakumar T. Antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of resveratrol and Vitamin-C combination on streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:455 8.
17. Chahal A, Saini AK, Chhillar AK, Saini RV. Natural antioxidants as defence system against cancer. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:1-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.