DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF HERBAL ANTIAGING CREAM FORMULATION CONTAINING ANNONA SQUAMOSA LEAF EXTRACT
Objective: The aim of this research article is to develop and evaluate herbal antiaging cream using Annona squamosa leaf extract because of its antioxidant potential.
Method: Free radical scavenging activity of Annona squamosa aqueous was determined by DPPH method. 0.5 ml of each solution of concentration of sample was added to 3 ml of 0.004% ethanolic DPPH free radical solution. After 30 minutes the absorbance of the preparations were taken at 517 nm by a UV spectrophotometer which was compared with the corresponding absorbance of standard ascorbic acid. The qualitative phytochemical analysis of Annona squamosa (custard apple) leaf extract shows the presence of flavonoids, tannins, alkaloids and phenols and absence of terpenoids and steroids
Results: Formulation A3 shows good DPPH scavenging activity as compare to formulation A1 and A2 and ascorbic acid. Formulation A3 is stable for 3 months.
Conclusion: Due to high antioxidant values of Annona squamosa it is concluded that it is possible to develop anti-aging cream using aqueous extract of Annona squamosa leaf.
2. Poljsak B, Glavan U, Dahmane R. Skin cancer, free radicals and antioxidants. Int J Cancer Res Prev 2011;4:193-217.
3. Ortolan MC, Simoes ML, Baroni ER, Auersvald A, Auersvald LA, Rodrigues M, et al. Influence of aging on the skin quality of white-skinned women: The role of collagen, elastic material density, and vascularisation. Rev Bras Cir Plást 2013;28:41-8.
4. Wickens AP. Ageing and the free radical theory. Respir Physiol 2001;128:379-91.
5. Kabel AM. Free radicals and antioxidants: Role of enzymes and nutrition. World J Nutri Health 2014;2:35-8.
6. Herrling T, Jung K, Fuchs J. The important role of melanin as protector against free radicals in skin. SOFW J Cosmet 2007;9:26-32.
7. Ganceviciene R, Liakou AI, Theodoridis A, Makrantonaki E, Zouboulis CC. Skin anti-aging strategies. Dermatoendocrinol 2012;4:308-19.
8. Veeru P, Mishra PK, Mishra M. Screening of medicinal plant extracts for antioxidant activity. J Med Plant Res 2009;3:608-12.
9. Uwa LM. The anti-aging efficacy of antioxidants. Curr Trends Biomed Eng Biosci 2017;7:1-3.
10. Khare N, Khare PP, Yadav G. Recent advances in anti-aging-a review. Global J Pharmacol 2015;9:267-71.
11. Makarova K, Zawada K, Wagner D, Skowyra J. Optimization of antioxidant properties of creams with berry extracts by artificial neural networks. Acta Phys Pol 2017;132:44-51.
12. Dua D, Srivastava NS. A study on antioxidant and anti-aging properties of few medicinal plants. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;8:344-7.
13. Kalidindi N, Thimmaiah NV, Jagadeesh NV, Nandeep R, Swetha S, Kalidindi B, et al. Antifungal and antioxidant activities of organic and aqueous extracts of Annona squamosa Linn. Leaves. J Food Drug Anal 2015;23:795-802.
14. Shirwaikar A, Rajendran K, Kumar CD. In vitro antioxidant studies of Annona squamosa Linn. Leaves. Indian J Exp Biol 2004;42:803-7.
15. Surendra G, Male A, Ratala RN. DPPH Free radical scavenging activity of Annona squamosa Linn leaf extracts. Int J Pharm Biol Sci 2016;11:4-6.
16. Krishnan RD, Kumar MV, Varma RS, Babu UV, Dhanabal SP. Design and development of polyherbal based cream formulation with anti-skin ageing benefits. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8:4147-58.
17. Kaleem M, Asif M, Ahmed QU, Bano B. Antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of Annona squamosa extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Singapore Med J 2006;47:670-5.
18. Gupta RK, Kesari AN, Watal G, Murthy PS, Chandra R, Maithal K, et al. Hypoglycaemic and antidiabetic effect of aqueous extract of leaves of Annona squamosa (L.)in experimental animal. Curr Sci 2005;88:1244-54.
19. Rahman MH, Alam MB, Hossain MS, Jha MK, Islam A. Antioxidant, analgesic and toxic potentiality of methanolic extract of Stephania japonica (thunb.) Miers. Leaf. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:38-41.
20. Mhatre J, Nagaral S, Kulkarni S. Formulation and evaluation of antibacterial activity of a herbal ointment prepared from crude extracts of Aegle marmelos, (bael). Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:575-9.
21. Sivaraj R, Balakrishnan A, Thenmozhi M, Venckatesh R. Preliminary phytochemical analysis of Aegle marmelos, Ruta graveolens, Opuntia dellini, Euphorbia royleana and Euphorbia antiquorum. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2011;2:132-6.
22. Khatri P, Rana JS, Jamdagni P, Sindhu A. Phytochemical screening, GC-Ms and FT-IR analysis of methanolic extract leaves of Elettaria cardamomum. Int J Res Granthaalayah 2017;5:213-24.
23. Tariq AL, Reyaz. AL. Phytochemical analysis of Camellia sinensis Leaves. Int J Drug Dev Res 2012;4:311-6.
24. Inamdar P, Desai S, Patel D, Meshram D. Phytochemical screening and in vitro antifungal activity of Camellia sinensis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:148-50.
25. Rao PK, Khaliq K, Kharat SS, Sagare P, Patil SK. Preparation and evaluation o/w cream for skin psoriasis. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2010;1:1-11.
26. Mishra AP, Saklani S, Milella L, Tiwari P. Formulation and evaluation of herbal antioxidant face cream of Nardostachys jatamansi collected from Indian Himalayan region. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2014;4:S679-82.
27. Ali A, Akhtar N, Khan HM. Assessment of physical stability and antioxidant activity of polysiloxane polyalkyl polyether copolymer-based creams. J Chem 2013;1:1-7.
28. Naithani V, Singhal AK, Bangar OP, Chaudhary M. Comparative evaluation of antioxidant activity of acnano and it’s comparison with two commercial anti-acne drugs. J Pharm Res 2011;4:4646-9.
29. Maha HL, Sinaga KR. Formulation and evaluation of miconazole nitrate nanoemulsion and cream. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:319-21.
30. Akhtar N, Khan BA, Haji M, Khan S, Ahmad M, Rasool F, et al. Evaluation of various functional skin parameters using a topical cream of Calendula officinalis extract. Afr J Pharm Pharmacol 2011;5:199-206.
31. Mangilal T, Patnaik KS, Sunder RS, Bai SA. Preparation and evaluation of poly herbal anti-aging cream by using different synthetic polymers. Int J Herb Med 2017;5:92-5.
32. Kumara DK, Satyanarayana T, Kumar CH, Moulabi SK, Pullarao B, Gavamma A, et al. Formulation and evaluation of herbal vanishing cream containing Punica granatum. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2016;6:4938-44.
33. Himaja N. Formulation and evaluation of herbal cream from Azadirachta indica ethanolic extract. Int J Res Drug Pharm Sci 2017;1:23-4.
34. Gupta N, Dubey A, Prasad P, Roy A. Formulation and evaluation of herbal fairness cream comprising hydroalcoholic extracts of Pleurotus ostreatus, Glycyrrhiza glabra and Camellia sinensis. U K J Pharm Biosci 2015;3:40-5.
35. Kumar KK, Sasikanth K, Sabareesh M, Dorababu N. Formulation and evaluation of diacerein cream. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2011;4:93-8.
36. Singh M, Sharma S, Khokra SL, Sahu RK, Jangde R. Preparation and evaluation of herbal cosmetic cream. Pharmacologyonline 2011;2:1258-64.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.