EOSINOPHILIC VARIANT OF CLEAR CELL RENAL CELL CARCINOMA - A DIAGNOSTIC DILEMMA
Introduction: Eosinophilic variant of clear cell renal cell carcinoma is an important entity to diagnose since it is aggressive and is associated with poor prognosis.
Case Report: A 75-year-old patient presented with pain abdomen. The magnetic resonance imaging showed a mass in the kidney. The differential diagnosis given was renal cell carcinoma and hydatid cyst. Nephrectomy was done and the specimen was sent for histopathology. The specimen showed a gray-brown lesion with extensive areas of hemorrhage and necrosis. On microscopy, the tumor cells were arranged in nests. The cells had abundant eosinophilic granular cytoplasm. The differential diagnosis on morphology was chromophobe renal cell carcinoma and oncocytoma with extensive inflammation. However, immunohistochemistry (IHC) proved the diagnosis of eosinophilic variant of clear cell renal cell carcinoma.
Conclusion: Hence, IHC is an essential adjunct to morphology in diagnosing renal neoplasms.
2. Grignon DJ, Che M. Clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Clin Lab Med 2005; 25:305-16.
3. Yang XJ, Takahashi M, Schafernak KT, Tretiakova MS, Sugimura J, Vogelzang NJ, et al. Does ‘granular cell’ renal cell carcinoma exist? Molecular and histological reclassification. Histopathology 2007; 50:678-80.
4. Upton MP, Parker RA, Youmans A, McDermott DF, Atkins MB. Histologic predictors of renal cell carcinoma response to interleukin-2- based therapy. J Immunother 2005;28:488-95.
5. Geramizadeh B, Ravanshad M, Rahsaz M. Useful markers for differential diagnosis of oncocytoma, chromophobe renal cell carcinoma and conventional renal cell carcinoma. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2008;51:167-71.
6. Wang HY, Mills SE. KIT and RCC are useful in distinguishing chromophobe renal cell carcinoma from the granular variant of clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol 2005;29:640-6.
7. Kryvenko ON, Jorda M, Argani P, Epstein JI. Diagnostic approach to eosinophilic renal neoplasms. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014;138:1531-41.
8. Kryvenko ON, Roquero L, Gupta NS, Lee MW, Epstein JI. Low-grade clear cell renal cell carcinoma mimicking hemangioma of the kidney: A series of 4 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2013;137:251-4.
9. Kumar A. Finger metastases in renal cell carcinoma: A case report. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:4-6.
10. Eosinophilic Variant of Clear Cell Renal Cell Carcinoma. Pathologyoutlines.com. Available from: http://www.pathologyoutlines. com/topic/kidneytumormalignantcelleosinophilic.html.
11. Deepika KS, Navya KR, Muthuraman MS, Natesan R, Raj CD, Pemaiah B. Evaluation of in vitro anticancer potential of ethanolic extract and its different fractions of Caesalpinia bonduc (L) roxb seeds. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:311-4.
12. Minakshi G, Dahiya J, Marwaha RK, Dureja H. Therapies in cancer treatment: An overview. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:1-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.