IN VITRO STUDY OF ANTIMICROBIAL AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITIES OF OXALIC ACID-DERIVED BIOACTIVE CHELATING AGENT
Objective: The aim of this study is to evaluate the biological potentials of sodium cadmium oxalate dihydrate complex prepared by a single diffusion method in the silica gel medium.
Methods: The present complex was derived by the oxalic acid using a single diffusion method in gel medium and tested for single-crystal X-ray diffraction, ultraviolet-visible (UV) spectrum (190–500 mm), and solubility (distilled water at 20–29°C) studies. Antioxidant activity was determined by 2, 2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl assay, and antimicrobial activity was measured by agar well diffusion method.
Results: The present chelating complex was successfully synthesized by gel technique. The solubility of sodium cadmium oxalate dihydrate was moderately good for deionized warm water. The UV spectral studies confirmed the chelating O-H, Na-O, and C-O bonds of the newly synthesized complex for the optical and biological properties.
Conclusions: The metal-oxygen and oxygen-hydrogen bonds of the present newly synthesized sample much improved its optical, antimicrobial, and antioxidant activities and find its applications in the field of pharmaceutical and biomedical applications.
2. Atheer AM, Abdulqader MA, Jafaar MM. Studying of transition metal complexes containing oxalate ion with antibacterial activity. Int J Sci Eng Res 2015;6:855-67.
3. Williams AA, Macri RV, Gandour RD. Antimicrobial activity of long-chain, water-soluble, dendritictri carboxylate amphiphiles. J Antimicrob Chemother 2007;59:451-8.
4. Schuster P. The Hydrogen Bond—Recent Development in Theory and Experiment. Vol. 89. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Company; 1977. p. 348-9.
5. Dhanaraj PV, Rajesh NP, Vinitha G, Bhagavannarayana G. Crystal structure and characterization of a novel organic optical crystal: 2-aminopyridinium trichloro acetate. Mater Res Bull 2011;46:726-31.
6. Joseyphus RS, Nair MS. Antibacterial and antifungal studies on some schiff base complexes of zinc (II). Mycobiology 2008;36:93-8.
7. Thangadurai TD, Natarajan K. Mixed ligand complexes of ruthenium (II) containing ?, ?-Unsaturated-?-ketoamines and their antibacterial activity. Transit Metal Chem 2001;26:500-4.
8. Montazerozohori M, Yadegari S, Naghiha A. Synthesis, characterization, electrochemical behaviour and antibacterial/antifungal activities of [Cd (L) X2] complexes with a new schiff base ligand. Serb Chem Soc 2014;79:793-804.
9. Patil NR, Gadagil S, Performance of chrom agar medium and conventional methods for detection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:136-9.
10. Duddu MK, Guntuku G. Isolation, screening, and characterization of antibiotic producing actinomycetes from Kapuluppada plastic waste dumping yard, Visakhapatnam. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:221-9.
11. Raj AM. Optimized growth and characterization of cadmium oxalate single crystals in silica gel. Solid State Sci 2008;10:557-62.
12. Gilli G, Gilli P. Towards an unified hydrogen-bond theory. J Mol Struct 2000;552:1-15.
13. Zhong RQ. A novel 3D micro porous metal-organic framework of cadmium (II) oxalate with diamondoid network. Inorg Chem Commun 2008;11:951-3.
14. Selasteen FD, Raj SA, Moses A. Synthesis and characterization in vitro antimicrobial and cytotoxicity testing of oxalic acid-derived cadmium chelating agents. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:80-6.
15. Ambujam K, Rajarajan K, Joseph P. Growth and characterization of a novel NLO crystal bis-glycine hydrogen chloride. J Cryst Growth 2006;286:440-4.
16. Abou-Hussein AA, Nelly HM, Linert W. Synthesis, + solvatochromism, and antimicrobial activities of new binuclear copper (II) mixed-ligand complexes in a ternary system with ?-diketones and diamine ligands. J Coord Chem 2011;64:2592-605.
17. Kumar SS, Athimoolam S, Sridhar B. Hydrogen bonding motifs, spectral characterization, theoretical computations and anticancer studies on chloride salt of 6- mercaptopurine: An assembly of corrugated lamina shows enhanced solubility. J Mol Struct 2015;1098:332-41.
18. Selvarani M, Prema P. Evaluation of antibacterial efficacy of chemically synthesized copper and zerovalent iron nanoparticles. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:223-7.
19. Kalainila P, Ravindran E, Renganathan S. Green synthesis of copper nanoparticle from Passiflora foetida leaf extract and its antibacterial activity. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:69-73.
20. Abu-Hussein AA, Linert W. Redox, thermodynamic and spectroscopic of some transition metal complexes containing heterocyclic Schiff base ligands. Spectro chim Acta Part A 2009;74:214-23.
21. Tweedy BG. Plant extracts with metal ions as potential antimicrobial agents. Phytopathology 1964;55:910-8.
22. Madhavi K, Ramya GS. Synthesis, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of ethyl 2-(2-cyano-3-(substituted phenyl) acrylamido)-4, 5-dimethylthiophene-3-carboxylates. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:95-100.
23. Budhwani S, Sharma S, Kalyane N. Synthesis of aryl (5- substituted benzofuran-2-yl) carbamate derivatives as antimicrobial agents. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:377-81.
24. Zahid H, Chohan M. Ni (II), Cu (II) And Zn (II) metal chelates with some thiazole derived schiff-bases. Their synthesis, characterization and bactericidal properties. J Metal-Based Drugs 1999;6:75-80.
25. Arunachalam GA, Ramachandramoorthy T, Padmavathy S, Rani SA. Green synthesis and evaluation of biological impact of Zn (II), Cd(II) and Hg(II) complexes with phenylacetylurea and butanoate ion ligands. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:91-4.
26. Dharmaraja J, Subbaraj P, Esakkidurai T, Shobana S. Coordination behavior and bio-potent aspects of Ni (II) with 2-aminobenzamide and some amino acid mixed ligands – part II: Synthesis, spectral, morphological, pharmacological and DNA interaction studies. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2014;132:604-14.
27. Jadon SC, Gupta N, Singh RV. Synthetic and biochemical studies of some hydrazine carbodithioic acid derivatives of dioxomolybdenum (VI). Ind J Chem 1995;34A:733-6.
28. Hu F, Lu R, Huang B, Liang M. Free radical scavenging activity of extracts prepared from fresh leaves of selected Chinese medicinal plants. Fitoterapia 2004;75:14-23.
29. Wu D, Cederbaum AI. Alcohol, oxidative stress, and free radical damage. Alcohol Res Health 2003;27:277-84.
30. Biradar VD, Mruthyunjayaswamy BH. Synthesis characterization and antimicrobial activity studies of some transition metal complexes derived from 3-chloro-N’-[(1E)-(2-hydroxy phenyl) methylene]-6-methoxy-1-benzothiophene-2-carbohydrazide. Sci World Journal 2013;2013:451629.
31. Kapoor D, Rattan A, Kaur S, Bhardwaj R. Influence of cadmium on ant oxidative defence system, photosynthesis, level of osmolytes and ions uptake in Brassica juncea. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:204-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.