PHYTOCHEMICAL SCREENING AND GAS CHROMATOGRAPHY-MASS SPECTROSCOPY ANALYSIS OF BIOACTIVE COMPOUNDS AND BIOSYNTHESIS OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES USING SPROUT EXTRACTS OF VIGNA RADIATA L. AND THEIR ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITY
Objectives: The present study was aimed to investigate the facile synthesis of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) using the green gram sprout extract (GGSE) of Vigna radiata L. and also in vitro studies of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities.
Methods: Gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy techniques have been used for the qualitative and quantitative evaluation of the phytochemicals present in the green gram seedlings. The antioxidant activity of AgNPs and GGSE was analyzed using the 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) assay. In vitro antibacterial activity was performed using the agar well diffusion method.
Results: The presence of various secondary metabolites such as flavonoids, steroids, terpenoids, alkaloids, amino acids, polyphenol, glycoside, and protein was found in samples. The major chemical compounds of V. radiata were n-hexadecanoic acid, stigmasterol, caffeine, hexadecanoic acid, cholest-5-en-3-ol (3.beta.)-, and cyclopentane. The percentage of DPPH activity was enhanced on increasing the concentration of AgNPs. In vitro antibacterial effect of the diverse concentrations of AgNPs was investigated against each Gram-negative (Klebsiella aerogenes, and Escherichia coli) and Gram-positive (Bacillus substilis and Staphylococcus aureus) bacterial strains.
Conclusion: The result suggests that biosynthesized AgNPs have good antibacterial and antioxidant activity and might be a potential for the bioactive components.
2. Mie R, Samsudin MW, Din LB, Ahmad A, Ibrahim N, Adnan SN, et al. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles with antibacterial activity using the lichen Parmotrema praesorediosum. Int J Nanomedicine 2014;9:121-7.
3. Starowicz M, Stypu?a B, Bana? J. Electrochemical synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Electrochem Commun 2006;8:227-30.
4. Talebi J, Halladj R, Askari S. Sonochemical synthesis of silver nanoparticles in Y-zeolite substrate. J Mater Sci 2010;45:3318-24.
5. Temgire MK, Joshi SS. Optical and structural studies of silver nanoparticles. Radiat Phys Chem 2004;71:1039-44.
6. Siamaki AR, Abd El Rahman SK, Abdelsayed V, El-Shall MS, Gupton BF. Microwave-assisted synthesis of palladium nanoparticles supported on graphene: A highly active and recyclable catalyst for carbon–carbon cross-coupling reactions. J Catal 2011;279:1-11.
7. Bae DS, Kim J, Bang JH, Kim SW, Han, KS, Lee JK, et al. Synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles by a reverse micelle process. Met Mater Int 2005;11:291-4.
8. Ankamwar B, Damle C, Ahmad A, Sastry M. Biosynthesis of gold and silver nanoparticles using Emblica officinalis fruit extract, their phase transfer and transmetallation in an organic solution. J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2005;5:1665-71.
9. Jin R, Cao Y, Mirkin CA, Kelly KL, Schatz GC, Zheng JG. Photo induced conversion of silver nanospheres to nanoprisms. Science 2001;294:1901-3.
10. Kathiravan V, Ravi S, Ashokkumar S. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles from melia dubia leaf extract and their in vitro anticancer activity. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2014;130:116-21.
11. Ponarulselvam S, Panneerselvam C, Murugan K, Aarthi N, Kalimuthu K, Thangamani S, et al. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using leaves of Catharanthus roseus linn. G. Don and their antiplasmodial activities. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:574-80.
12. Das R, Gang S, Nath SS. Preparation and antibacterial activity of silver nanoparticles. J Biomater Nanobiotechnol 2011;2:472-5.
13. Ajitha B, Reddy YA, Reddy PS. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Momordica charantia leaf broth: Evaluation of their innate antimicrobial and catalytic activities. J Photochem Photobiol B 2015;146:1-9.
14. Sulaiman GM, Mohammed WH, Marzoog TR, Al-Amiery AA, Kadhum AA, Mohamad AB, et al. Green synthesis, antimicrobial and cytotoxic effects of silver nanoparticles using Eucalyptus chapmaniana leaves extract. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3:58-63.
15. Krishnaraj C, Jagan EG, Rajasekar S, Selvakumar P, Kalaichelvan PT, Mohan N, et al. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Acalypha indica leaf extracts and its antibacterial activity against water borne pathogens. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2010;76:50-6.
16. Supraja S, Ali SM, Chakravarthy N, Priya AJ, Sagadevan E, Kasinathan MK, et al. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles from Cynodon dactylon leaf extract. Int J Chem Tech 2013;5:271-7.
17. Manivasagan P, Venkatesan J, Senthilkumar K, Sivakumar S, Kim K. Biosynthesis, antimicrobial and cytotoxic effect of silver nanoparticles using a novel Nocardiopsis sp. MBRC-1. Res Biomed 2013;8:1-9.
18. Robertson DG. Metabonomics in toxicology: A review. Toxicol Sci 2005;85:809-22.
19. Fernie AR, Trethewey RN, Krotzky AJ, Willmitzer L. Metabolite profiling: From diagnostics to systems biology. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 2004;5:763-9.
20. Kell DB, Brown M, Davey HM, Dunn WB, Spasic I, Oliver SG, et al. Metabolic footprinting and systems biology: The medium is the message. Nat Rev Microbiol 2005;3:557-65.
21. Konovalova O, Gergel E, Herhel V. GC-MS analysis of bioactive components of Shepherdia argentea (Pursh.). Nutt Ukranian Flora Pharm Innov J 2013;2:7-12.
22. Kalaivani CS, Sathish SS, Janakiraman N, Johnson M. GC-MS studies on Andrographis paniculata (Burm. f.) Wall. Ex nees-a medicinally important plant. Int J Med Arom Plants 2012;2:69-74.
23. Venkataraman B, Samuel LA, Saradhi MP, Rao BN, Vamsi N, Krishna A. Antibacterial, antioxidant activity and GC-MS analysis of Eupaturium odoratum. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:99-106.
24. Senthilkumar SR, Sivakumar T. Studies on the greengram (Vigna radiata L.) sprout assisted synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their antimicrobial activities. Int J Nanomat Biostruct 2014;4:52-7.
25. Al-Owaisi M, Al-Hadiwi N, Khan SA. GC-MS analysis, determination of total phenolics, flavonoid content and free radical scavenging activities of various crude extracts of Moringa peregrina (Forssk.) fiori leaves. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2014;4:964-70.
26. Sheel R, Nisha K, Kumar J. Preliminary phytochemical screening of methanolic extract of Clerodendron infortunatum. IOSR J Appl Chem 2014;7:10-3.
27. Govindappa M, Channabasava R, Kumar KS, Pushpalatha KC. Antioxidant activity and phytochemical screening of crude endophytes extracts of Tabebuia argentea Bur. & K. Sch. Am J Plant Sci 2013;4:1641-52.
28. Gudikandula K, Maringanti SC. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by chemical and biological methods and their antimicrobial properties. J Exp Nanosci 2016;11:714-21.
29. Vanaja M, Gnanajobitha G, Paulkumar K. Phytosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by Cissus quadrangularis: Influence of physicochemical factors. J Nanostruct Chem 2013;3:17-25.
30. Kumar B, Smita K, Cumbal L, Debut A. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using andean blackberry fruit extract. Saudi J Biol Sci 2017;24:45-50.
31. Ebbo AA, Mammam M, Suleiman MM, Ahmed A, Bello A. Preliminary phytochemical screening of Diospyros mespiliformis. Anat Physiol 2014;4:2161.
32. Oluwaniyi OO, Adegoke HI, Adesuji ET, Alabi AB, Bodede SO, Labulo AH, et al. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using aqueous leaf extracts of Thevetia peruviana Juss and its antimicrobial activities. Appl Nanosci 2016;6:903-12.
33. Anand T, Gokulakrishnan K. Phytochemical analysis of Hybanthus enneaspermus using UV, FTIR and GC-MS. IOSR J Pharm 2012;2:520 4.
34. Sagbo IJ, Afolayan AJ, Bradley G. Antioxidant antibacterial and phytochemical properties of two medicinal plants against the wound infecting bacteria. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2017;7:817-25.
35. Kokila T, Ramesh PS, Geetha D. Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles from cavendish banana peel extract and its antibacterial and free radical scavenging assay: A novel biological approach. Appl Nanosci 2015;5:911-20.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.