GAS CHROMATOGRAPHY-MASS SPECTROSCOPIC ANALYSIS OF BLACK PLUM SEED (SYZYGIUM CUMINI) EXTRACT IN HEXANE
Objective: Black plum seed has unique medicinal value and used as antidiabetics, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory.
Methods: Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) analysis of the extracts of black plum seed obtained using solvent extraction with hexane as a solvent is used to attempt the identification of prominent components.
Results: Black plum seed extract is obtained by solvent extraction technique using Soxhlet extractor. A total of 10 compounds are predicted in black plum seed extract by GC-MS analysis.
Conclusion: The work presented relates to the study of GC-MS analysis of the extract of black plum seed obtained using solvent extraction with hexane as a solvent. Of ten compounds of black plum seed extract, five compounds are known to have antimicrobial properties.
2. Banerjee A, Nabasree D, De B. In vitro study of antioxidant activity of Syzygium cumini fruit. Food Chem 2005;90:727-33.
3. Veigasa JM, Narayan MS, Laxman PM, Neelwarne B. Chemical nature, stability and bioefficacies of anthocyanins from fruit peel of Syzygium cumini Skeels. Food Chem 2007;105:619-27.
4. Derwich E, Benziane Z, Chabir R, Taouil R. In vitro antibacterial and GC/MS analysis of the essential oil, extract of leaves of Rosmarinus officinalis grown in morocco. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:89-95.
5. Vijayanand P, Rao LJ, Narasimham P. Volatile flavour components of jamun fruit (Syzygium cumini L). Flavour Fragr J 2018;33:
6. Jampani C, Aduja N, Raghavarao KS. Purification of anthocyanins from jamun (Syzygium cumini L.) employing adsorption. Sep Purif Technol 2014;125:170-8.
7. Arun R, Prakash MV, Abraham SK, Premkumar K. Role of Syzygium cumini seed extract in the chemoprevention of in vivo genomic damage and oxidative stress. J Ethnopharmacol 2011;134:329-33.
8. Shinde J, Taldone T, Barletta M, Kunaparaju N, Hu B, Kumar S, et al. Alpha-glucosidase inhibitory activity of Syzygium cumini (Linn.) skeels seed kernel in vitro and in goto-kakizaki (GK) rats. Carbohydr Res 2008;343:1278-81.
9. Painuli S, Rai N, Kumar N. GC-MS analysis of methanolic extract of leaves of rhododendron campanulatum. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:299-303.
10. Moghal MM, Pradhan V, Ladniya V. Fatty acid composition of oil extracted from freshwater edible crab (Barytelphusa cunicularis). Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2015;6:542-7.
11. Basaar O, Saeedi AA, Fatema S, Mohsin M, Farooqui M. Supercritical fluid extraction of oil from freshwater edible crab (Barytelphusa cunicularis). J Med Chem Drug Disc 2015;2015:285-9.
12. Moghal MM, Pradhan V, Ladniya V. Supercritical fluid extraction of oil from freshwater edible crab (Barytelphusa cunicularis). Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2016;7:1182-6.
13. Pradhan V, Moghal MM, Ladniya V, Fatema S. Supercritical fluid extraction: Applications to biological system. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2015;6:371-8.
14. Ladniya V, Pradhan V, Moghal MM. Fatty acid composition of oil extracted from magur fish (Clarias batrachus). J Med Chem Drug Discov 2016;1:504-10.
15. Moghal MM, Ladniya V, Pradhan V. Gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy analysis of oil extracted from freshwater edible crab (Barytelphusa cunicularis). Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2016;7:1840-7.
16. Ladniya V, Moghal MM, Pradhan V. Fatty acid composition of oil extracted from surmai fish (Scomberomorus commerson) from Marathwada region. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2017;8:299-304.
17. Abubakar MN, Majinda RR. GC-MS analysis and preliminary antimicrobial activity of Albizia adianthifolia (Schumach) and Pterocarpus angolensis (DC). Medicines (Basel) 2016;3:E3.
18. Jayashree I, Geetha DH, Rajeswari M. Gc-Ms analysis of bioactive constituents of Glochidion ellipticum WT. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6:2546-50.
19. Parthipan B, Suky MG, Mohan VR. GC-MS analysis of phytocomponents in Pleiospermium alatum (Wall. ex Wight & Arn.) Swingle, (Rutaceae). J Pharmacogn Phytochem 2015;4:216-22.
20. Hussein HM. Analysis of trace heavy metals and volatile chemical compounds of Lepidium sativum using atomic absorption spectroscopy, gas chromatography-mass spectrometric and fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2016;7:2529-55.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.