DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF RP-HPLC METHOD FOR THE ESTIMATION OF DOLUTEGRAVIR AND RILPIVIRINE IN BULK AND PHARMACEUTICAL DOSAGE FORM AND ITS APPLICATION TO RAT PLASMA
Objective: The present paper describes a simple, accurate, and precise reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) method for rapid and simultaneous quantification of dolutegravir (DTG) and rilpivirine (RPV) in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form and rat plasma.
Methods: The chromatographic separation was achieved on Phenomenex C18 (150x4.6mm, 5μm). Mobile phase contained a mixture of 0.1% Ortho phosphoric acid and acetonitrile in the rato of 60:40 v/v, flow rate 1.0ml/min and ultraviolet detection at 262nm.
Results: The retention time of DTG and RPV was 4.35 min and 7.73 min, respectively. The proposed method shows a good linearity in the concentration range of 10–150 μg/ml for DTG and 5–75 μg/ml for RPV under optimized conditions. Precision and recovery study results are in between 98 and 102%. In the entire robustness conditions, percentage relative standard deviation is <2.0%. Degradation has minimum effect in stress condition and solutions are stable up to 24 h. DTG and RPV drugs are release 98% at 2 h in rat body.
Conclusion: This method is validated for different analytical performance parameters like linearity. Precision, accuracy, limit of detection, limit of quantification, robustness, and pharmacokinetic study were determined according to the International Conference of Harmonization (ICH) Q2B guidelines. All the parameters of validation were found in the acceptance range of ICH guidelines. The same method is also applied for plasma samples study in bioanalytical work.
2. British Medical Association. British National Formulary. 69th ed. London: BNF; 2015. p. 429.
3. Landovitz RJ, Currier JS. Postexposure prophylaxis for HIV infection. N Engl J Med 2009;361:1768-75.
4. ViiV Healthcare. Juluca (dolutegravir and rilpivirine) tablets prescribing information. The American Society of Health-System pharmacists, Research Triangle Park, NC; Nov 2017.
5. Steigbigel RT, Cooper DA, Kumar PN, Eron JE, Schechter M, Markowitz M, et al. Raltegravir with optimized background therapy for resistant HIV-1 infection. N Engl J Med 2008;359:339-54.
6. Takao M. Non-enzymatic functions of retroviral integrase: The next target for novel anti-HIV drug development. Virology 2011;2:210.
7. Drug definition US FDA Drug approval process, Phar Pharma J. Avaliable from: www.pharmacistspharmajournal.org, 2010.
8. US Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, Sec 210; 2008.
9. Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council; 2004.
10. Stellbrink HJ. Antiviral drug in the treatment of AIDS. Eur J Med Res 2007;12:483-95.
11. Lin VW, Cardenas DD. Spinal Cord Medicine. New York: Demos Medical Publishing, LLC; 2003. p. 251.
12. International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements For Registration of Pharmaceuticals For Human Use. Guideline for Good Clinical Practice 2014. p. 2.
13. Goebel F, Yakovlev A, Pozniak AL, Vinogradova E, Boogaerts G, Hoetelmans R, et al. Short-term antiviral activity of TMC278-a novel NNRTI-in treatment-naive HIV-1-infected subjects. AIDS 2006;20:1721-6.
14. Poznaik A, Ramirez M, Mohap L. 48-week Primary Analysis of Trail TMC 278-C204: TMC 278 Demonstrate Potent and Sustained Efficacy in ART-Naive Patients. 14th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; 2007.
15. Joseph J, Hepsbeah NJ, Deepthi K. Analytical method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of dolutegravir and rilpivirine using RP-HPLC method in both bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Eur J Biomed Pharm Sci 2016;3:237-43.
16. Damel MC, Prdeshi AN. Stability indicating HPLC method for rilpivirine and dolutegravir sodium. Eur J Biomed Pharm Sci 2017;4:454-9.
17. Cozzi V, Charbe N, Baldelli S, Castoldi S, Atzori C, Cattaneo D, et al. Development and validation of a chromatographic ultraviolet method for the simultaneous quantification of dolutegravir and rilpivirine in human plasma. Ther Drug Monit 2016;38:407-13.
18. Satyadev TN, Ch B, Sundar BS. Development and validation of high performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of dolutegravir in human plasma. Pharm Sin 2018;6:65-72.
19. Balasaheb BG, Balasaheb AK, Subhash TR, Jijabapu K, Sudhakar PS. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for estimation of dolutegravir sodium in tablet dosage form. Malaysian J Anal Sci 2015;19:1156-63.
20. Brain PB. Welcome to bioanalysis. Bioanalysis 2009;1:1-2.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.