ANTIFERTILITY ACTIVITY OF DECASCHISTIA CROTONIFOLIA LEAF EXTRACT ON MALE RATS
Objective: The objective was to investigate the male antifertility effect of Decaschistia crotonifolia leaf extract on male Wistar rats.
Methods: The animals were divided into three groups of five animals each. The first group (I) served as control and received normal saline, and remaining Groups II and III were treated with plant extract at a dose of 200 and 400 mg/kg p.o., respectively, for 21 days.
Results: Dose-dependent significant decrease in the weight of testes and epididymis was observed. Furthermore, a dose-related reduction in sperm count and motility was observed. A significant decrease in testosterone levels leading to infertility was also observed.
Conclusion: The 70% methanolic leaf extract of D. crotonifolia has produced dose-dependent antifertility effect on male rats.
2. Satyaraj K, Sivaraj A, Kumari PV, Devi K, Kumar BS. Spermicidal activity of Azardicta indica (Neem) aqueous leaf extract on male albino rats. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:588-91.
3. Shaik A, Yalavarthi PR, Banoth CS. Review on Dechachistia crotonifolia wight and Arn. J Compr Pharm 2016;3:89-90.
4. Malli PC, Ansari AS, Chaturvedi M. Antifertility effect of chronically administered Martynia annua root extract on male rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2002;82:61-7.
5. Morakinyo AO, Adeniyi OS, Arikawe AP. Effect of Zingiber officinale on reproductive functions in the male rat. Ajri J Bio Met 2008;11:329-34.
6. Ewing LL, Davis JC, Zirkin BR. Regulating testicular function: A special and temporal view. Int Rev Physiol 1980;22:41-5.
7. Ghosh D, Das UB, Ghosh S, Mallick M, Debnath J. Testicular gametogenic and steroidogenic activities in cyclophasphamide treated rats: A correlative study with testicular oxidative stress. Drug Chem Tox 2002;25:281-91.
8. Carropo E. Niederberger C, Lacovazzi PA, Palaguano AD, Amato G. Humn chrorionic gonadotrophin. Free Sub unit in the humn seminal plasma. A new marker for spermatogenesis. Eur J Obster Gynecol 2003;106:165-9.
9. Akbarsha MA, Murugaian P. Antifertility of the male reproductive toxicity/male antifertility property of andrographolide in albino rats: Effect on the testes cauda epididymal spermatozoa. Phytother Res 2000;14:432-5.
10. Chinoy NJ, Dsouza TM, Padman P. Contraceptive efficacy of Carca papaya seed extract in male mice. Phytoptherapy 1995;9:30-6.
11. Baskar V, Meeran IS, Subramani A, Jawahar AS, Shabeer TK. Historic review on modern herbal nanogel formulation and delivery methods. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:1-10.
12. Kumar PP, Kumar MS, Kamal S, Nishi S. Anticancer and antimicrobial potential of Barleria prionitis leaves ethanol extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:100-3.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.