THE MULTI-ACTIVITY HERBACEOUS VINE - TINOSPORA CORDIFOLIA
Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers ex Hook. F. and Thoms is a large deciduous, climbing shrub found throughout India, especially in the tropical parts ascending to an altitude of 300 m and also in certain parts of China (Anonymous). It belongs to the family Menispermaceae. It is known as heart-leaved Moonseed plant in English, Guduchi in Sanskrit, and Giloy in Hindi. It is known for its immense application in the treatment of various diseases in the traditional ayurvedic literature. T. cordifolia, also named as “heavenly elixir,” is used in various ayurvedic decoctions as panacea to treat several body ailments. (Mishra R,) Its root stems, and leaves are used in Ayurvedic medicine. T. cordifolia is used for diabetes, high cholesterol, allergic rhinitis (hay fever), upset stomach, gout, lymphoma and other cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, hepatitis, peptic ulcer disease, fever, gonorrhea, syphilis, and to boost the immune system (WebMD).
2. Kavya B, Kavya N, Ramarao V, Venkateshwarlu G. Tinospora cordifolia (Willd) Miers. Nutritional, ethno medical and therapeutic utility. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2015;6:195-8.
3. Mittal J, Sharma MM, Batra A. Tinospora cordifolia: A multipurpose medicinal plant-a review. J Med Plants Stud 2014;2:32-47.
4. Aher VD, Wahi AK. Pharmocological study of Tinsopora cordifolia as aon immunomodulator. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2010;2:52-4.
5. Puranik N, Kammar KF, Devi S. Anti-diabetic activity of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) in streptozotocin diabetic rats; does it act like sulfonylureas? Turk J Med Sci 2010;40:265-70.
6. Saha S, Ghosh S. Tinospora cordifolia: One plant, many roles. Anc Sci Life 2012;31:151-9.
7. Akhtar S. Use of Tinospora cordifolia in HIV infection. Indian J Pharmacol 2010;42:57.
8. Estari M, Venkanna L, Reddy AS. In vitro anti-HIV activity of crude extracts from Tinospora cordifolia. BMC Infect Dis 2012;12(Suppl 1):P10.
9. Jeyachandran R, Xavier TF, Anand SP. Antibacterial Activity of stem extracts of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd) hook. F and amp; Thomson. Anc Sci Life 2003;23:40-3.
10. Kumari M. Evaluation of methanolic extracts of in vitro grown Tinospora cordifolia (wild) for antibacterial acitivities. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5 Suppl 3:172-5.
11. Jagetia GC, Rao SK. Evaluation of the antineoplastic activity of guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) in Ehrlich ascites carcinoma bearing mice. Biol Pharm Bull 2006;29:460-6.
12. Upadhyay N, Ganie SA, Agnihotri RK, Sharma R. Studies on antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of Tinospora cordifolia (Miers.) stem using in vitro models. Am J Phytomed Clin Ther 2013;18:617-27.
13. Chandan NG, Deb T, Bhargavi SM. Evaluation of anti-ulcer activity of Tinospora cordifolia in albino rats. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2013;4:P78-85.
14. Ambasta SK, Kumari S, Sinha UK. Anticlastogenicity of Tinospora cordifolia stem extract against arsenic genotoxicity in Mus musculus bone marrow erythrocytes using micronucleus assay. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:260-4.
15. Kaur M, Singh A, Kumar B. Comparative antidiarrheal and antiulcer effect of the aqueous and ethanolic stem bark extracts of Tinospora cordifolia in rats. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2014;5:122-8.
16. Hussain L, Akash MS, Ain NU, Rehman K, Ibrahim M. The analgesic, anti-inflammatory and anti-pyretic activities of Tinospora cordifolia. Adv Clin Exp Med 2015;24:957-64.
17. Wani JA, Achur RN, Nema RK. Phyto chemical screening and aphrodisiac property of Tinospora cordifolia. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2011;3:21-6.
18. Kumar V. Antidyslipidemic and antioxidant activities of Tinospora cordifolia stem extract in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Indian J Clin Chem 2015;30:473-8.
19. Antonisamy P, Dhanasekaran M, Ignacimuthu S, Duraipandiyan V, Balthazar JD, Agastian P, et al. Gastroprotective effect of epoxy clerodane diterpene isolated from Tinospora cordifolia Miers (Guduchi) on indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in rats. Phytomedicine 2014;21:966-9.
20. Une HD, Ejaj MA, Tarde VA. Nootropic activity of saponins obtained from Tinospora cordifolia stem in scopolamine induced amnesia. Int J Pharm Res Rev 2014;3:28-5.
21. Sharma AK, Kishore K, Sharma D, Srinivasan BP, Agarwal SS, Sharma A, et al. Cardioprotective activity of alcoholic extract of Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers in calcium chloride-induced cardiac arrhythmia in rats. J Biomed Res 2011;25:280-6.
22. Patel A, Bigoniya P, Singh CS, Patel NS. Radioprotective and cytoprotective activity of Tinospora cordifolia stem enriched extract containing cordifolioside-A. Indian J Pharmacol 2013;45:237-43.
23. Sharma P, Goyal PK. Modulation of biochemical and antioxidant enzymes in blood by Tinospora cordifolia against gamma radiation mediated damage in mice. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:106-12.
24. Selvam K, Ramakrishnan N. Antifeedant and ovicidal acitivtity of Tinospora cardifolia Wild (Menispermaceae) against Spodoptera litua (Fab) and Helicoverpa armigera (Hub) Lepidoptera, Noctuidae. Int J Recent Sci Res 2014;5:1955-9.
25. Gupta R, Sharma V. Ameliorative effects of Tinospora cordifolia root extract on histopathological and biochemical changes induced by aflatoxin-b(1) in mice kidney. Toxicol Int 2011;18:94-8.
26. Kavitha BT, Shruthi SD, Rai SP, Ramachandra YL. Phytochemical analysis and hepatoprotective properties of Tinospora cordifolia against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatic damage in rats. J Basic Clin Pharm 2011;2:139-42.
27. Jain BN, Jain VK, Shete A. Antipsychotic activity of aqueous ethanolic extract of Tinospora cordifolia in amphetamine challenged mice model. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2010;1:30-3.
28. Madaan R, Bala R, Vasisht T, Sharma R, Garg S. Formulation and characterization of marix tablets using mucilage of Tinospora cordifolia as natural binder. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:22-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.