QUANTIFICATION OF ANTICOAGULANTS DABIGATRAN, RIVAROXABAN, AND PRASUGREL BY CHROMATOGRAPHIC AND SPECTROMETRIC TECHNIQUES – REVIEW
A review is presented on different analytical techniques used for quantitative analysis of selected anticoagulants dabigatran, rivaroxaban, and prasugrel. Efforts have been made to collate all the relevant references to the extent possible. The review discusses the advantages and disadvantages of the cited analytical techniques, which will help to give insights into the methods used for estimation of selected anticoagulants such as dabigatran, rivaroxaban, and prasugrel, from clinical isolates, and its dosage forms. The review highlights the basic as well as advanced techniques performed for estimating dabigatran, rivaroxaban, and prasugrel. The techniques illustrated here have been demonstrated to be useful for quantitative determination of selected anticoagulants and may find application in analyzing other related properties.
1. KD Tripathi. Essentials of Medical Pharmacology. 6th Ed. Jaypee ; p. 597-605.
2. Kumar Raja Jayavarapu, T. Satyanarayana, B.Baby, Ch.Kesavarao, K.Sujatha, K.Ramya, and M.S.N.Varaprasad,Validated UV-Spectroscopic Method for the Estimation of Dabigatran Etexilate Mesylate in Formulation and Tablet Dosage Form. Indo American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 2016, 6(3), 4952-4956
3. Ankit Prajapati, Sharad Kumar, Ashim Kumar Sen, Aarti Zanwar, AK Seth, Spectrophotometric Method for Estimation of Dabigatran Etexilate in Bulk and Its Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Pharma Science Monitor. 2014 5(2), 31-39
4. N. J. R. Hepsebah and A. Ashok Kumar, Spectrometric Dissolution Method for Dabigatran Etexilate Mesylate Capsules. World Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018, 7(4), 1277-1290
5. U.Harini, N. Madhavilatha, A.K.M Pawar, Development and validation of UV- spectrophotometric method for the estimation of dabigatran etexilate mesylate (dem). Int. J. of Pharmacy and Analytical Research, 2016, 5(1), 218-223
6. Sharaf El-Din M, Ibrahim F, Shalan SH and Abd El-Aziz H, Spectrophotometric Methods for Simultaneous Determination of Rivaroxaban and Clopidogrel in Their Binary Mixture. Pharm Anal Acta 2018, 9(1), 1-9
7. Seshamamba BSV and Sekaran CB, Spectrophotometric quantification of direct factor Xa
inhibitor, rivaroxaban, in raw and tablet dosage form. Glob Drugs Therap, 2017, 2(3), 1-8
8. Chandra Bala Sekaran, Vankayalapati Hima Bind, Mittapalli Rupa Damayanthi and Anaparthi Sireesha, Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for the determination of rivaroxaban. Der Pharma Chemica, 2013, 5(4), 1-5
9. Bagga P, Salman Khan M, Siddiqui MH, Mahmood T, Siddiqui HH, Colorimetric Estimation of Prasugrel in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations, International Journal of Current Research, 2011, 3(11), 418-420
10. Harshini B, Alekhya SVR, Manasa G, Vanitha Prakash K, Extractive Spectrophotometric Estimation Of Prasugrel In Pharmaceutical Formulation, Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, 2011, 2(3), 426-430.
11. Dare M, Jain R and Pandey A, Method Validation for Stability Indicating Method of Related Substance in Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Dabigatran Etexilate Mesylate by Reverse Phase Chromatography. J Chromatogr Sep Tech 2015, 6(2), 1-10
12. Asmaa A. El Zaher, Ehab F. El Kady, Ola M. El Houssini and Hind E. El Ghwas, Development and Validation of Stability-Indicating RP-LC Method for the Determination of Dabigatran Etexilate Mesylate in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Formulations. Curr. Sci. Int., 2015, 4(3): 402-408
13. Bhavna Patel,Shoumik Roy,Hardik Ghelani , Shraddha Parmar, Development & Validation of RP-HPLC Method for Estimation of Dabigatran Etexilate Mesylate from Capsule Dosage Form. International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research, 2017, 8(6), 143-151
14. Mustafa Ã‡elebier, Tuba ReÃ§ber, EnginKoÃ§ak, Sacide AltÄ±nÃ¶z, RP-HPLC method development and validation for estimation of rivaroxaban in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 2013, 49(2), 359-366
15. Yashpalsinh N Girase, Srinivasrao V, Dipti Soni, Development and Validation of Stability Indicating RP-HPLC Method for Rivaroxaban and Its Impurities. SOJ Biochem2018, 4(1), 1-6.
16. N. Rajan, K. Anver Basha, A Stability-Indicating Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatographic Method for Estimation of Related Substances and Degradants in Rivaroxaban Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2014, 8(11), 1719-1725
17. Heba Abd El-Aziz, Ibrahim F, Sharaf El-Din M and Fathy ME, Micellar High Performance Liquid Chromatographic Determination of a Binary Mixture of Rivaroxaban and Clopidogrel and Application to Biological Fluids. Pharm Anal Acta 2016, 7(9), 1-11
18. R Meenakshi and R Nageswara Rao, RP-HPLC Method Development and Validation for Determination of Rivaroxaban in the Pure and Pharmacuetical Dosage Form. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research, 2016, 8(12), 38-44
19. Arpitha Sunny, C.Sreedhar, T.SrinivasRao, Akkama.H.G, Asmita Mahapatra, Development of New Analytical Method and Validation for Quantitative Estimation of Rivaroxaban in Formulation and Bulk Drug. IJSRE, 2017, 5(5), 6469-6478
20. Pintu B. Prajapati, Arti J. Rakholiya, Kunjan B. Bodiwala, Bhavin P. Marolia, Shailesh A. Shah, Stability Indicating HPTLC Method for Estimation of Dabigatran Etexilate Mesylate in its Pharmaceutical Dosage Form. Eurasian Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2017, 12(2), 75-86
21. Darshna Vaghela, Pinak Patel, High Performance Thin Layer Chromatographic Method with Densitometry Analysis for Determination of Rivaroxaban from its Tablet Dosage Form. Int J Pharm PharmSci, 2014, 6 (6), 383-386
22. Srikanth I, Sharmila P, Vijayabharathi K, Raju M, Lakshma Naik M, Nagarjuna K, A Validated Reverse Phase HPLC method for the estimation Of Prasugrel Hydrochloride In pharmaceutical Dosage Forms, JITPS, 2(5), 2011, 140-148
23. Jovan P. Antovic, Mika Skeppholm, Jaak Eintrei, Elisabet Eriksson Boija, Lisbeth SÃ¶derblom, Eva-Marie Norberg, Liselotte OnelÃ¶v, Yuko RÃ¶nquist-Nii, Anton Pohanka, Olof Beck, Paul Hjemdahl, Rickard E. MalmstrÃ¶m. Evaluation of coagulation assays versus LC-MS/MS for determinations of dabigatran concentrations in plasma. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2013, 1(1), 1-7
24. E. M. H. Schmitz, K. Boonen, D. J. A. Van Den Heuvel, J. L. J. Van Dongen, M. W. M. Schellings, J. M. A. Emmen, F. Van Der Graaf, L. Brunsveld , D. Van De Kerkhof. Determination of dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban by ultra-performance liquid chromatography â€“ tandem mass spectrometry (UPLC-MS/MS) and coagulation assays for therapy monitoring of novel direct oral anticoagulants. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 12: 1636â€“1646
25. Wan-li Zhang, Dan Lou, Dong-tao Zhang, Yin Zhang, Huan-jie Huang, Determination of rivaroxaban, apixaban and edoxaban in rat plasma by UPLCâ€“MS/MS method. J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2016, 1-7.
26. G.Srinivas Reddy, S.L.N.Prasad Reddy and L.Shivakumar Reddy. Development and Validation of HPLC-MS /MS Method for Rivaroxaban Quantitation in Human Plasma using Solid Phase Extraction Procedure. Orient. J. Chem., 2016, 32(2), 1145-1154
27. Priscilla Bento Matos Derogis, LiviaRentasSanches, ValdirFernandes de Aranda, Marjorie Paris Colombini, CristoÃ‚vÃ£o Luis PitangueiraMangueira, Marcelo Katz, Adriana Caschera Leme Faulhaber, Claudio Ernesto Albers Mendes, Carlos Eduardo dos Santos Ferreira, Carolina Nunes FrancÃ‹a, JoÃ£o Carlos de Campos Guerra. Determination of rivaroxaban in patient's plasma samples by anti-Xa chromogenic test associated to High Performance Liquid Chromatography tandem Mass Spectrometry (HPLC-MS/MS). 2017, 12(2): e0171272.
28. SatyendraYadav, Nidhi Dubey, Development and Validation of Bioanalytical Method for Estimation of Rivaroxaban Using HPLC-PDA in Human Blood Plasma. Journal of Drug Delivery & Therapeutics. 2017; 7(7):123-125
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.