COMPARISON OF ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITIES LEAVES EXTRACTS OF CERBERA MANGHAS AND LEAVES EXTRACTS OF AZADIRACHTA INDICA AGAINST KLEBSIELLA PNEUMONIAE
Objective: This study aims to determine the potential of neem (Azadirachta indica, Juss) leaves and sea mango (Cerbera manghas, Linn.) leaves against Klebsiella pneumonia.
Methods: Hexane and methanol extracts of neem leaves (A. indica, Juss) and hexane and butanol extracts of sea mango leaves (C. manghas, Linn.) were tested antibacterial against K. pneumonia using paper disc and dilution methods, measured the inhibition zone diameter, minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC), and minimum bactericidal concentration (MBC), as a comparison used ampicillin.
Results: The MIC values for the butanol extract and hexane extract of sea mango leaves against K. pneumoniae were 1.124276 and 1.45958 mg/mL, respectively. While the MBC value of both of them had the same value, i.e. 2 mg/ml. The hexane and methanol extracts of neem leaves did not have potentially against the growth of K. pneumonia.
Conclusion: Based on the results of this study have been obtained, that extracts butanol and hexane extract of leaves of sea mango (C. manghas, Linn.) have antibacterial activity strong enough against K. pneumonia, where, extracts butanol leaves of sea mango has antibacterial activity that is more powerful than the extract hexane leaf sea mango, while the methanol extract and hexane extracts of neem (A. indica, Juss) leaves have weak activity against K. pneumonia.
2. Zadoks RN, Middleton JR, McDougall S, Katholm J, Schukken YH. Molecular epidemiology of mastitis pathogens of dairy cattle and comparative relevance to humans. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 2011;16:357-72.
3. Estuningsih S. The Pathogenicity of Subclinical Mastitis in Dairy Cows: Histological Approach of Mastitis Subclinical Due to Infection of Streptococcus agalictiae, Hemaglutinin Positive in Mice. Ph.D. Dissertation, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Bogor Agricultural Institute. Indonesia; 2002.
4. Izquierdo AC, Liera JE, Cervantes RE, Castro JF, Mancera EA, CrispÃn RH, et al. Production of milk and bovine mastitis. J Adv Dairy Res 2017:2:1-4.
5. Seegers H, Fourichon C, Beaudeau F. Production effects related to mastitis and economics in dairy cattle herds. J Vet Res 2003;34: 475-91.
6. Hameed KG, Sender G, Kossakowska AK. Public health hazard due to mastitis in dairy cows. J Anim Sci Papers Rep 2006;25:73-85.
7. Kheira G, Abdellatif N. Impact of subclinical mastitis on the health of the mammary gland. J Glob Vet 2014;12:193-6.
8. Wang Y, Wu CM, Lu LM, Ren GW, Cao XY, Shen JZ, et al. Macrolide-lincosamide-resistant phenotypes and genotypes of staphylococcus aureus isolated from bovine clinical mastitis. Vet Microbiol 2008;130:118-25.
9. Idriss SE, Foltys V, TanÄin V, Kirchnerova K, TanÄinovÃ¡ D, Zaujec K. Mastitis pathogens and their resistance against antimicrobial agents in dairy cows in Nitra, Slovakia. J Anim Sci 2014;47:33-8.
10. Biswas K, Ishita C, Ranajit KB, Uday B. Biological activities and medicinal properties of neem (Azadirachta indica, Juss). J Technol Dev 2002;8:23-8.
11. Subapriya R, Nagini S. Medicinal properties of neem leaves: A review. Curr Med Chem Anticancer Agents 2005;5:149-6.
12. Wiart C. Medicinal Plants of Asia and Pacific. Boca Raton: CRC Press/ Taylor and Francis; 2006.
13. Harbone AJ. Phytochemical Methods, a Guide to Modern Techniques of Plant Analysis. Netherlands: Publisher Springer; 1998.
14. Xiaopo Z, Yue-hu P, Ming-sheng L, Sheng-li K, Jun-qing Z. Chemical constituents from the leaves of Cerbera manghas. Asian Pac J Trop Med 2010;3:109-111.
15. Hossain MA, Islam MA, Sarker S, Rahman M, Siraj MA. Assessment of phytochemical and pharmacological properties of ethanolic extract of Cerbera manghas L. leaves. Int Res J Pharm 2013;4:120-3.
16. Galeane MC, Martins CH, Massuco J, Bauab TM, Sacramento LV. Phytochemical screening of Azadirachta indica A. Juss for antimicrobial activity. Afr J Mic Res 2017;11:117-22.
17. Alexander JW, Good RA. Effect of antibiotics on the bactericidal activity of human leukocytes. J Lab Clin Med 1968;71:971-83.
18. Lorian V. Antibiotic in Laboratory Medicine. 2nd ed. London, Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins Co.; 1980.
19. WHO. Antimicrobial Resistance: Global Report on Surveillance, 2014. p. 12-30.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.