PREVALENCE OF IMPAIRMENT IN PULMONARY FUNCTION TEST IN SUGAR DISTILLERY INDUSTRY WORKERS IN KARAD TALUKA
Objective: The objective of this study was to find the prevalence of impairments in pulmonary function test (PFT) in sugar distillery industry workers in Karad taluka.
Methods: A total of 88 sugar distillery industry workers, both male and female with 5 years of the duration of exposure to sugar distillery industry in Karad taluka, were selected as per the inclusion criteria in this study. They were aged between 40 and 60 years. The outcome measures were PFT and 6 min walk test. Based on the outcome measures and conclusion were made.
Results: The study showed that among the 88 workers, 34 workers had normal pulmonary function, 25 of them had mild obstructive type of pulmonary impairments, 26 workers had mild restrictive type of pulmonary impairments, and remaining three workers had mixed type of lung disease for PFT.
Conclusion: The total 61.36% of workers were suffering from various impairments in PFT. The study concluded that statistically significant impairments in PFT are existed among workers of sugar distillery industry from Karad taluka.
2. Nene SB, Shete SS. Dynamic lung profile in sugarcane industry workers. Int J Basic Med Sci 2017;7:976-3554.
3. Munjal YP. API Textbook of Medicine. 10th ed. New Delhi, India: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.; 2015. p. 1130-40.
4. Alan P, Nicholson D. Pulmonary function in bagasse workers lung disease. Am Rev Respir Dis U S A 1968;97:561-70.
5. Jenkins DE, Suresh K. Mallik: Sequence observations on pulmonary functions department in bagassosis. Arch Inter Med 1971;128:535-40.
6. Deshmukh S. 41st Annual Report Vasantdada Sugar Institute. Manjari BK, District Pune, Maharashtra, India; 2016-17. p. 29.
7. Sakunkoo P, Chaiear N, Chaikittiporn C, Sadhra S. Concentrations and size distribution of inhalable and respirable dust among sugar industry workers: A pilot study in Khon Kaen, Thailand. Asia Pac J Public Health 2011;23:967-79.
8. Marinenko NV, Metliaev GN. Bagassosis, an occupational disease of the lungs (a review of the foreign literature). Gig Tr Prof Zabol 1979;5:39-41.
9. Ata GA, Ezzat HM, Shalaby AO, Kholey BE. Environmental mycological and respiratory health assessment of workers chronically exposed to bagasse in Egyptian particle board industry. Int J Environ Health Res 1998;8:315-34.
10. Viswanathan R, De Monte AJ, Shivpuri DN, Venkitasubramoni JA. Bagassossis: A study of pulmonary function. Ind J Med Res 1963;51:563-693.
11. Nikhade NS, Sharma P. A study of pulmonary function test in workers of sugar factory, Pravaranagar, Maharashtra. Int J Med Res Health Sci 2013;2:52-8.
12. Cornland DW, Yamba F. Text Book of Sugarcane Resources for Sustainable Development: A Case Study in Luena, Zambia. Sweden: Stockholm Environment Institute; 2001. p. 27-8.
13. Rocha FL, Marziale MH, Hong OS. Work and health conditions of sugar cane workers in Brazil. Rev Esc Enferm USP 2010;44:974-9.
14. Gehad A. Environmental, mycological and respiratory health assessment of workers chronically exposed to bagasse in Egyptian particle-board industry. Health Res 1998;8:315-34.
15. Weisman IM, Zeballos RJ. An integrated approach to the interpretation of cardiopulmonary exercise testing. Clin Chest Med 1994;15:421-45.
16. Enright PL. American thoracic society, guidelines for 6 minute walk test. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166:111-7.
17. Kurup VP. Faemers lung and related hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Indian J Chest Dis All Sci 1984;26:142-255.
18. Seaton A. Croton and Douglas’s Respiratory Disease. 5th ed., Vol. 2. Chichester: Wiley; 2000. p. 1002.
19. Singh V, Pande JN, Khilnani GC. Tests for ventilator function. In: Shankar S, editor. Pulmonary Function Tests in Health and Diseases. 1st ed. Mumbai: Indian College of Physicians; 1998. p. 39, 46-59.
20. Bhattacharjee A, Thygoo AA, Rammohan S. Impact of obesity on pulmonary functions among young non-smoker healthy female of Shah Alam, Malaysia. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:465-9.
21. Manikandan S, Anandhalakshmi S, Nageswari AD. Comparison of the effects of various modes of smoking on the pulmonary functions in healthy volunteers. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:289-91.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.