ANTIDIABETIC ACTIVITY OF KALANCHOE PINNATA IN ALLOXAN-INDUCED DIABETIC RATS
Objective: The main purpose of the present study was to analyze the antidiabetic activity of methanolic extract of the leaf of Kalanchoe pinnata in alloxan-induced diabetic rats.
Methods: Diabetes mellitus (DM) is a chronic metabolic and endocrine disease regarded as a serious global public health problem. Albino Wistar rats were divided into four groups. Group I (normal) received drinking water throughout the course till 20 days. Groups II-IV received alloxan (120 mg/kg b.w) i.p on the 1st day of the study period. Group III animals received glibenclamide (10 mg/kg p.o) and Group IV received K. pinnata (200 mg/kg b.w p.o) for 20 days. The body weight, blood glucose level, serum urea, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine, cholesterol, total protein (TP), uric acid, and tissue (liver) antioxidant parameters: Malondialdehyde (MDA) and glutathione (GSH) were measured.
Results: K. pinnata treated rats showed the percentage increase in the body weight, decrease in the blood sugar level, creatinine, TP level, urea, uric acid, and BUN, MDA, and GSH when compared to alloxan-induced diabetic mellitus control rats. Thus, K. pinnata could be possibly employed to treat DM.
Conclusion: This preliminary analysis tested the most promising profile. It seems that methanolic extract of the leaf of K. pinnata improved general, blood serum, and liver antidiabetic agent. However, further studies confirming its potential is certainly warranted.
2. Sikarwar MS, Patil MB. Antidiabetic activity of Pongamia pinnata leaf extracts in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Int J Ayurveda Res 2010;1:199-204.
3. Majaz AQ, Tatiya AU, Khurshid M, Nazim S, Siraj S. The miracle plant (Kalanchoe pinnata). A phyto chemical and pharmacological review. Int J Res Ayurvada Pharm 2011;2:1478-82.
4. Ananthi J, Prakasam A, Pugalendi KV. Antihyperglycemic activity of Eclipta alba leaf on alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Yale J Biol Med 2003;76:97-102.
5. Rajaram K. Antioxidant and antidiabetic activity of Tectona grandis Linn. In alloxan induced albino rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:174-7.
6. Biplav S, Sindhura G, Gowda KP. To evaluate the anti-atherosclerotic potential of quercetin in alloxan-induced diabetic rats fed with high-fat diet. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11A:379-83.
7. Ewenighi C, Dimkpa U, Onyeanusi J, Onoh L, Onoh G, Ezeugwu U. Estimation of glucose level and body weight in alloxan induced diabetic rat treated with aqueous extract of Garcinia kola seed. Ulutas Med J 2015;1:26-30.
8. Cheng D, Liang B, Li Y. Antihyperglycemic effect of Ginkgo biloba extract in streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats. BioMed Res Int 2013;2013:1-7.
9. Noori S, Nasir K, Mahboob T. Effects of cocoa powder on oxidant/ antioxidant status in liver, heart and kidney tissues of rats. J Anim Plant Sci 2009;19:174-8.
10. Sireesha K, Raghunandan N. Evaluation of in vivo antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of Artocarpus hirsutus seeds in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:170-3.
11. Sivaraj S, Kannayiram G, Dasararaju G. Evaluation of antidiabetic activty of different extracts of Myristica fragrans Houtt: In vitro and in silico studies. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:275-7.
12. Chitra V, Varma PV, Raju MV, Prakash KJ. Study of antidiabetic and free radical scavenging activity of the seed extract of Strychnos nuxvomica. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:106-10.
13. Venkidesh R, Mandal SC, Pal D, Lakshmi SM, Saravanakumar A. Anti-diabetic activity of Smilax chinensis (L.) in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:51-4.
14. Kumar MR, Kavitha K, Haldar PK. Role of herbal plants in the diabetes mellitus therapy. Int J Appl Pharm 2014;6:1-3.
15. Banerjee A, Maji B, Mukherjee S, Chaudhuri K, Seal T. In vitro anti-diabetic and anti-oxidant activities of ethanol extract of Tinospora sinensis. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:42-7.
16. Tafesse TB, Hymete A, Mekonnen Y, Tadesse M. Antidiabetic activity and phytochemical screening of extracts of the leaves of Ajuga remota Benth on alloxan-induced diabetic mice. BMC Complement Altern Med 2017;17:243.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.