THE EFFECT OF PUGUNTANO (CURANGA FEL-TERRAE [LOUR.]) EXTRACT ON ADIPONECTIN RECEPTOR (ADIPOR) IN RATS WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS
Objective: This study aimed to determine whether the antidiabetic effects of puguntano (Curanga fel-terrae [Lour.]) extract involve anti-inflammatory effects mediated through adiponectin receptors (AdipoRs).
Methods: Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) Wistar rats were induced by a combination of high-fat diet for 5 weeks and injection small dose streptozotocin 30 mg/kg bw/rat. This study was conducted in 48 T2DM rats, which were randomly assigned into two weight-matched groups (n=24, each). Only the treatment group received 0.2 mg/g bw of puguntano extract suspension through oral for 10 days. The clinical characteristics of T2DM and AdipoR were assessed before and after the treatment period.
Results: The treatment group demonstrated significantly lower body weight, fasting blood glucose, and homeostasis model assessment-insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) but higher AdipoR than the control group (all, p<0.001). Furthermore, there were also negative correlations between AdipoR to body weight and HOMA-IR (all, p<0.05).
Conclusion: Our data suggest that puguntano could improve glucose metabolism and ameliorate insulin resistance and have anti-inflammatory effects mediated through AdipoR in T2DM.
2. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas. 8th ed. International Diabetes Federation; 2017.
3. Graham KL, Sutherland RM, Mannering SI, Zhao Y, Chee J, Krishnamurthy B, et al. Pathogenic mechanisms in type 1 diabetes: The islet is both target and driver of disease. Rev Diabet Stud 2012;9:148-68.
4. Tsai S, Clemente-Casares X, Revelo XS, Winer S, Winer DA. Are obesity-related insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes autoimmune diseases? Diabetes 2015;64:1886-97.
5. Scherer PE. Adipose tissue: From lipid storage compartment to endocrine organ. Diabetes 2006;55:1537-45.
6. Deng Y, Scherer PE. Adipokines as novel biomarkers and regulatorsm of the metabolic syndrome. Ann NY Acad Sci 2011;1226:50.
7. Berg AH, Combs TP, Du X, Brownlee M, Scherer PE. The adipocyte-secreted protein Acrp30 enhances hepatic insulin action. Nat Med 2001;7:947-53.
8. Yamauchi T, Nio Y, Maki T, Kobayashi M, Takazawa T, Iwabu M, et al. Targeted disruption of adipoR1 and adipoR2 causes abrogation of adiponectin binding and metabolic actions. Nat Med 2007;13:332-9.
9. Yamauchi T, Kamon J, Minokoshi Y, Ito Y, Waki H, Uchida S, et al. Adiponectin stimulates glucose utilization and fatty-acid oxidation by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. Nat Med 2002;8:1288-95.
10. Combs TP, Berg AH, Obici S, Scherer PE, Rossetti L. Endogenous glucose production is inhibited by the adipose-derived protein Acrp30. J Clin Invest 2001;108:1875-81.
11. Qiao L, Kinney B, Schaack J, Shao J. Adiponectin inhibits lipolysis in mouse adipocytes. Diabetes 2011;60:1519-27.
12. Tang Z, Yuan L, Gu C, Liu Y, Zhu L. Effect of exercise on the expression of adiponectin mRNA and GLUT4 mRNA in type 2 diabetic rats. J Huazhong Univ Sci Technolog Med Sci 2005;25:191-3, 201.
13. Kiezun M, Maleszka A, Smolinska N, Nitkiewicz A, Kaminski T. Expression of adiponectin receptors 1 (AdipoR1) and 2 (AdipoR2) in the porcine pituitary during the oestrous cycle. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2013;11:18.
14. Blüher M, Williams CJ, Klöting N, Hsi A, Ruschke K, Oberbach A, et al. Gene expression of adiponectin receptors in human visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue is related to insulin resistance and metabolic parameters and is altered in response to physical training. Diabetes Care 2007;30:3110-5.
15. Depkes RI. Inventaris Tanaman Obat Indonesia (I). Cetakan Pertama. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan RI; 2000b. p. 21-2.
16. Lindarto D, Syafril S, Zein U, Saragih A. The effect of dhawalsan-1 [Curangafel-terrae (lour.)] extract versus metformin on the metabolic and inflammatory characteristics of patients with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes mellitus. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:225-8.
17. Zhang M, Lv XY, Li J, Xu ZG, Chen L. The characterization of high-fat diet and multiple low-dose streptozotocin induced type 2 diabetes rat model. Exp Diabetes Res 2008;2008:704045.
18. Depkes RI. The Ministry of Health Republic of Indonesia. Inventory of Indonesia Medical Plant (1). First print. Jakarta: RI Ministry of Health; 2000b. p. 21-2.
19. Matthews DR, Hosker JP, Rudenski AS, Naylor BA, Treacher DF, Turner RC, et al. Homeostasis model assessment: Insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 1985;28:412-9.
20. Pajvani UB, Scherer PE. Adiponectin: Systemic contributor to insulin sensitivity. Curr Diab Rep 2003;3:207-13.
21. Maeda N, Shimomura I, Kishida K, Nishizawa H, Matsuda M, Nagaretani H, et al. Diet-induced insulin resistance in mice lacking adiponectin/ACRP30. Nat Med 2002;8:731-7.
22. Croteau R, Kutchan TM, Lewis NG. Natural products (secondary metabolites). In: Buchanan B, Gruissem W, Jones R, editors. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Plants. Rockville, MD: American Society of Plant Physiologists; 2000. p. 1250-318.
23. Keeling CI, Bohlmann J. Genes, enzymes and chemicals of terpenoid diversity in the constitutive and induced defence of conifers against insects and pathogens. New Phytol 2006;170:657-75.
24. Harahap U, Patilaya P, Marianne YS, Husori Di PB. Phytochemical Profile of Ethanol Extract of The Puguntano Leaf (Curanga Fel-Terrae [Lour].) which has Potential as Anti-asthma. National Seminar On Science & Technology V, Research Institute Of Lampung University; 2013.
25. Hendra R, Ahmad S, Oskoueian E, Sukari A, Shukor MY. Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and cytotoxicity of Phaleria macrocarpa (Boerl.) scheff fruit. BMC Complement Altern Med 2011;11:110.
26. Lukitasari M, Nugroho DA, Rohman MS, Nugrahini NI, Sardjono TW. Light-roasted green coffee extract improved adiponectin, insulin resistance, and metabolic profile of metabolic syndrome rat model. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;9:279-83.
27. El-Baz FK, Aly HF, Khalil WK, Ali GH, Hafiz NA, Saad SA. Potential role of Haematococcus pluvialis against diabetes induced oxidative stress and inflammation in rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;1:245-51.
28. Tan CH, Dakis MK, Reyes CL, Ki DY, Langcamon SJ, Magdamit DT, et al. Adiponectin as a biomarker of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Sci Res Publ 2015;5:1-4.
29. Ahsan S, Ahmed S, Ahmed SD, Nauman K. Status of serum adiponectin related to insulin resistance in prediabetics. J Pak Med Assoc 2014;64:184-8.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.