BETTERMENT OF DICLOFENAC-INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY BY PENTOXIFYLLINE THROUGH MODULATION OF INFLAMMATORY BIOMARKERS
Objectives: Diclofenac-induced nephrotoxicity is caused by oxidative stress which leads to lipid peroxidation and formation of free radicals. Pentoxifylline can ameliorates renal tissue injury by its anti-inflammatory, antifibrotic, and antioxidant effects, so it mitigates the progression of renal diseases. Therefore, the aim of this study was to evaluate the nephroprotective effects of pentoxifylline on diclofenac-induced nephrotoxicity in rats.
Methods: A total of 30 male Sprague-Dawley rats were allocated into three groups, Group 1 (n=10): Rats treated with distilled water 5 ml/kg plus normal saline 5 ml/kg for 12 days, Group 2 (n=10): Rats treated with distilled water 5 ml/kg plus diclofenac 15 mg/kg for 12 days, and Group 3 (n=10): Rats treated with pentoxifylline 100 mg/kg plus diclofenac 15 mg/kg for 12 days. Blood urea, creatinine, malondialdehyde (MDA), superoxide dismutase (SOD-1), glutathione reductase (GSH), neutrophil gelatinase associated lipocalin (NGAL), kidney injury molecules (KIM-1) vitronectin (VTN), integrin (ITG) , interleukin-18 (IL-18) and cystatin-C were used to measure the severity of nephrotoxicity.
Results: Diclofenac-induced nephrotoxicity led to significant elevation in blood urea, serum creatinine, MDA, IL-18, KIM-1, NGAL, serum ITG, and VTN with decrease of SOD-1 and GSH sera levels p<0.05. Treatment with pentoxifylline showed no significant effect on all biomarker levels compared to diclofenac group except on serum level KIM-1 and serum VTN, p<0.05.
Conclusion: Pentoxifylline produced significant nephroprotective effect on diclofenac-induced nephrotoxicity through modulation of inflammatory biomarkers.
2. Pendergraft WF 3rd, Herlitz LC, Thornley-Brown D, Rosner M, Niles JL. Nephrotoxic effects of common and emerging drugs of abuse. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2014;9:1996-2005.
3. Geetha K, Ramarao N, Sindhu B, Rao VU. Nephroprotective, nephrocurative activity of Mimosa pudica root against gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:173-7.
4. Altman R, Bosch B, Brune K, Patrignani P, Young C. Advances in NSAID development: Evolution of diclofenac products using pharmaceutical technology. Drugs 2015;75:859-77.
5. Inoue T, Anai S, Onishi S, Miyake M, Tanaka N, Hirayama A, et al. Inhibition of COX-2 expression by topical diclofenac enhanced radiation sensitivity via enhancement of TRAIL in human prostate adenocarcinoma xenograft model. BMC Urol 2013;13:1.
6. Yasmeen T, Qureshi GS, Perveen S. Adverse effects of diclofenac sodium on renal parenchyma of adult albino rats. J Pak Med Assoc 2007;57:349-51.
7. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Potential effects of pomegranate on lipid peroxidation and pro-inflammatory changes in daunorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Int J Prev Med 2016;7:85.
8. Siang R, Teo SY, Lee SY, Basavaraj AK, Koh RY, Rathbone MJ. Formulation and evaluation of topical pentoxifylline-hydroxypropyl methylcellulose gels for wound healing application. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:535-9.
9. Rodríguez-Morán M, Guerrero-Romero F. Efficacy of pentoxifylline in the management of microalbuminuria in patients with diabetes. Curr Diabetes Rev 2008;4:55-62.
10. Sun HK, Lee YM, Han KH, Kim HS, Ahn SH, Han SY. Phosphodiesterase inhibitor improves renal tubulointerstitial hypoxia of the diabetic rat kidney. Korean J Intern Med 2012;27:163-70.
11. Rübe CE, Wilfert F, Uthe D, Schmid KW, Knoop R, Willich N, et al. Modulation of radiation-induced tumour necrosis factor ? (TNF-?) expression in the lung tissue by pentoxifylline. Radiother Oncol 2002;64:177-87.
12. Navarro-González JF, Muros M, Mora-Fernández C, Herrera H, Meneses B, García J. Pentoxifylline for renoprotection in diabetic nephropathy: The PREDIAN study. rationale and basal results. J Diabetes Complications 2011;25:314-9.
13. Navarro JF, Mora C, Muros M. Effects of pentoxifylline administrationon urinary N-acetyl-b-glucosaminidase excretion in Type 2 diabeticpatients: A short-term, prospective, randomized study. Am J Kidney 2003;42:264-70.
14. Singh AP, Junemann A, Muthuraman A, Jaggi AS, Singh N, Grover K, et al. Animal models of acute renal failure. Pharmacol Rep 2012;64:31 44.
15. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI, Al-Buhadilly AK. Rosuvastatin improves vaspin serum levels in obese patients with acute coronary syndrome. Diseases 2018;6:9.
16. Gacka E, ?yczkowski M, Bogacki R, Paradysz A, Hyla-Klekot L. The usefulness of determining neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin concentration excreted in the urine in the evaluation of cyclosporine a nephrotoxicity in children with nephrotic syndrome. Dis Markers 2016;2016:6872149.
17. de Almeida P, Tomazoni SS, Frigo L, de Carvalho PD, Vanin AA, Santos LA, et al. What is the best treatment to decrease pro-inflammatory cytokine release in acute skeletal muscle injury induced by trauma in rats: Low-level laser therapy, diclofenac, or cryotherapy? Lasers Med Sci 2014;29:653-8.
18. Alabi QK, Akomolafe RO, Adefisayo MA, Olukiran OS, Nafiu AO, Fasanya MK, et al. Kolaviron attenuates diclofenac-induced nephrotoxicity in male Wistar rats. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 2018;43:956-68.
19. Hickey EJ, Raje RR, Reid VE, Gross SM, Ray SD. Diclofenac induced in vivo nephrotoxicity may involve oxidative stress-mediated massive genomic DNA fragmentation and apoptotic cell death. Free Radic Biol Med 2001;31:139-52.
20. Bunel V, Tournay Y, Baudoux T, De Prez E, Marchand M, Mekinda Z, et al. Early detection of acute cisplatin nephrotoxicity: Interest of urinary monitoring of proximal tubular biomarkers. Clin Kidney J 2017;10:639-47.
21. Harrill AH, Lin H, Tobacyk J, Seely JC. Mouse population-based evaluation of urinary protein and miRNA biomarker performance associated with cisplatin renal injury. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2018;243:237-47.
22. Fu G, Du Y, Chu L, Zhang M. Discovery and verification of urinary peptides in Type 2 diabetes mellitus with kidney injury. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2016;241:1186-94.
23. Kim SY, Jeong TD, Lee W, Chun S, Sunwoo S, Kim SB, et al. Plasma neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin as a marker of tubular damage in diabetic nephropathy. Ann Lab Med 2018;38:524-9.
24. Lan Z, Bi KS, Chen XH. Ligustrazine attenuates elevated levels of indoxyl sulfate, kidney injury molecule-1 and clusterin in rats exposed to cadmium. Food Chem Toxicol 2014;63:62-8.
25. Harman G, Akbari A, Hiremath S, White CA, Ramsay T, Kokolo MB, et al. Accuracy of cystatin C-based estimates of glomerular filtration rate in kidney transplant recipients: A systematic review. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2013;28:741-57.
26. Ozturk H, Cetinkaya A, Firat TS, Tekce BK, Duzcu SE, Ozturk H, et al. Protective effect of pentoxifylline on oxidative renal cell injury associated with renal crystal formation in a hyperoxaluric rat model. Urolithiasis 2018;6:1.
27. Soni HM, Patel PP, Patel S, Rath AC, Acharya A, Trivedi HD, et al. Effects of combination of aliskiren and pentoxyfylline on renal function in the rat remnant kidney model of chronic renal failure. Indian J Pharmacol 2015;47:80-5.
28. Leem AY, Park MS, Park BH, Jung WJ, Chung KS, Kim SY, et al. Value of serum cystatin c measurement in the diagnosis of sepsis induced kidney injury and prediction of renal function recovery. Yonsei Med J 2017;58:604-12.
29. Selvin E, Juraschek SP, Eckfeldt J, Levey AS, Inker LA, Coresh J. Within-person variability in kidney measures. Am J Kidney Dis 2013;61:716-22.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.