SYNTHESIS AND EVALUATION OF ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY OF PYRIMIDINE DERIVATIVES
Objectives: Synthesis, characterization, and evaluation of antimicrobial activity of novel pyrimidine derivatives containing O, N, and S in the ring.
Methods: Pyrimidine derivatives were prepared in three steps. In the first step, chalcones containing -NO2 functional group were synthesized using Claisen-Schmidt condensation of aromatic aldehydes with 2-acetyl pyridine/3-acetylpyridine in methanol in the presence of aqueous NaOH. In the second step, -NO2 group was reduced to -NH2 group. Resulting compounds containing NH2 functional group were reacted with different dichlorothienopyrimidines and dichlorofuropyrimidines in the presence of N,N-diisopropylethylamine to obtain pyrimidine derivatives.Antibacterial and antifungal activity of pyrimidine derivatives were studied in vitro.
Results: Pyrimidine derivatives were synthesized and purified using flash column chromatography. Purity of synthesized pyrimidines was determined by high-performance liquid chromatography. Pyrimidines were characterized by elemental analysis, infrared, nuclear magnetic resonance, and mass spectral analysis. Analytical data of synthesized pyrimidines supported the proposed structures. Significant antibacterial and antifungal activity were observed in the synthesized pyrimidine derivatives.
Conclusion: Antibacterial and antifungal activity of the newly synthesized pyrimidine derivatives will definitely inspire future researchers for the preparation of new analogs.
2. Prakash O, Bhardwaj V, Kumar R, Tyagi P, Aneja KR. Organoiodine (III) mediated synthesis of 3-aryl/hetryl-5,7-dimethyl-1,2,4-triazolo[4,3-a] pyrimidines as antibacterial agents. Eur J Med Chem 2004;39:1073-7.
3. Botta M, Artico M, Massa S, Gambacorta A, Marongiu ME, Pani A, et al. Synthesis, antimicrobial and antiviral activities of isotrimethoprim and some related derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 1992;27:251-7.
4. Soni PI, Patel NB. Pyrimidine incorporated Schiff base of isoniazid with their synthesis, characterization and in vitro biological evaluation. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:237-47.
5. Ito S, Masuda K, Kusano S, Nagata T, Kojima Y, Sawai N, et al. Pyrimidine derivative, process for preparing same and agricultural or horticultural fungicidal composition containing same. U S Patent 1989.p. 4,814,338.
6. Nakagawa Y, Bobrov S, Semer CR, Kucharek TA, Harmoto M. Fungicidal pyrimidine derivatives. U S Patent 2004;6:818.
7. Agarwal N, Raghuwanshi SK, Upadhyay DN, Shukla PK, Ram VJ. Suitably functionalised pyrimidines as potential antimycotic agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2000;10:703-6.
8. Fujiwara N, Nakajima T, Ueda Y, Fujita H, Kawakami H. Novel piperidinylpyrimidine derivatives as inhibitors of HIV-1 LTR activation. Bioorg Med Chem 2008;16:9804-16.
9. Ballell L, Field RA, Chung GA, Young RJ. New thiopyrazolo[3,4-d] pyrimidine derivatives as anti-mycobacterial agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2007;17:1736-40.
10. Wagner E, Al-Kadasi K, Zimecki M, Sawka-Dobrowolska W. Synthesis and pharmacological screening of derivatives of isoxazolo[4,5-d] pyrimidine. Eur J Med Chem 2008;43:2498-504.
11. Cordeu L, Cubedo E, Bandrés E, Rebollo A, Sáenz X, Chozas H, et al. Biological profile of new apoptotic agents based on 2,4-pyrido[2,3-d] pyrimidine derivatives. Bioorg Med Chem 2007;15:1659-69.
12. Ram VJ, Haque N, Guru PY. Chemotherapeutic agents XXV synthesis and leishmanicidal activity of carbazolylpyrimidines. Eur J Med Chem 1992;27:851-5.
13. Amir M, Javed SA, Kumar H. Pyrimidine as anti-inflammatory agent: A review. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;68:337.
14. Bhat IK, Kumar A. Pyrimidines as potent cytotoxic and anti-inflammatory agents. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:237-9.
15. Sondhi SM, Jain S, Dwivedi AD, Shukla R, Raghubir R. Synthesis of condensed pyrimidines and their evaluation for anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities. Indian J Chem B 2008;47:136-43.
16. Lee HW, Kim BY, Ahn JB, Kang SK, Lee JH, Shin JS, et al. Molecular design, synthesis, and hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic activities of novel pyrimidine derivatives having thiazolidinedione. Eur J Med Chem 2005;40:862-74.
17. Smith PA, Kan RO. Cyclization of isothiocyanates as a route to phthalic and homophthalic acid derivatives. J Organic Chem 1964;29:2261-5.
18. Abu-Hashem AA, Youssef MM, Hussein HA. Synthesis antioxidant antituomer activities of some new thiazolopyrimidines pyrrolothiazolopyrimidines and triazolopyrrolothiazolopyrimidines derivatives. J Chin Chem Soc 2011;58:41-8.
19. Abu-Hashem AA, El-Shehry MF, Badria FA. Design and synthesis of novel thiophenecarbohydrazide, thienopyrazole and thienopyrimidine derivatives as antioxidant and antitumor agents. Acta Pharm 2010;60:311-23.
20. Rahaman SA, Rajendra Pasad Y, Kumar P, Kumar B. Synthesis and anti-histaminic activity of some novel pyrimidines. Saudi Pharm J 2009;17:255-8.
21. Coe JW, Fliri AF, Kaneko T, Larson ER. Pyrimidine derivatives enhancing antitumour activity. U S Patent 1996;5:491.
22. Breault GA, Newcombe NJ, Thomas AP. Imidazolo-5-YL-2-anilino-pyrimidines as agents for the inhibition of the cell proliferation. U S Patent 2005;6:969.
23. Nezu Y, Miyazaki M, Sugiyama K, Kajiwara I. Dimethoxypyrimidine as novel herbicides part 1 synthesis and herbicidal activity of dimethoxyphenoxyphenoxypyrimidines and analogues. Pesticide Sci 1996;47:103-13.
24. Rodrigues AL, Rosa JM, Gadotti VM, Goulart EC, Santos MM, Silva AV, et al. Antidepressant-like and antinociceptive-like actions of 4-(4’-chlorophenyl)-6-(4’’-methylphenyl)-2-hydrazinepyrimidine Mannich base in mice. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2005;82:156-62.
25. Tani J, Yamada Y, Oine T, Ochiai T, Ishida R, Inoue I. Studies on biologically active halogenated compounds 1. Synthesis and central nervous system depressant activity of 2-(fluoromethyl)-3-aryl-4(3H)- quinazolinone derivatives. J Med Chem 1979;22:95-9.
26. Kumar B, Kaur B, Kaur J, Parmar A, Anand RD, Kumar H. Thermal/ microwave assisted synthesis of substituted tetrahydropyridimine as potent calcium channel blockers. Indian J Chem 2002;41:1526-30.
27. Santra S, Jat B, Santra PK. Synthesis and antibacterial activities of chalcones and indole derived from acetyl pyridines. Asian J Chem 2018;30:883-8.
28. Perez C, Paul M, Bazerque P. An antibiotic assay by the agar-well diffusion method. Acta Biol Med Exp 1990;15:113-5.
29. Bonjar S, Aghighi S, Karimi NA. Antibacterial and antifungal survey in plants used in indigenous herbal medicine of South East Regions of Iran. J Biol Sci 2005;4:405-12.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.