NEPHROPROTECTIVE ROLE OF ZINC AGAINST THE AMMONIUM SULFATE TOXICITY IN MALE ALBINO RATS
Objective: Intention of the present study is to investigate the protective role of zinc against ammonium sulfate (AS) toxicity in renal tissue by evaluating certain biochemical activities of albino rats.
Methods: Rats were divided into four groups, namely control, ammonia, zinc, and ammonia + zinc. Rats were exposed to AS (18.3 mg/kg body weight) or zinc chloride (4 mg/kg body weight) or both through intraperitoneally for 7-day experimentation with 24-h time interval.
Results: AS-administered rats showed significant increased levels of ammonia, urea, glutamine, glutamine synthetase, free amino acids, and lactate dehydrogenase and decreased levels of total proteins, pyruvate, succinate dehydrogenases, malate dehydrogenase, and biochemical activities when compared with control. Supplementation of zinc mitigated AS-induced oxidative stress and restored all the biochemical parameter activities. Zinc administered to normal rats did not exhibit any significant changes in any of the parameters studied.
Conclusion: From the study, it concluded that zinc cotreatment with AS has effectively recovered the mitochondrial enzyme activities and ammonia metabolic biochemical parameters in renal tissue of rat treated with AS.
2. Auron A, Brophy PD. Hyperammonemia in review: Pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment. Pediatr Nephrol 2012;27:207-22.
3. Cattaneo CI, Ressico F, Valsesia R, D’Innella P, Ballabio M, Fornaro M, et al. Sudden valproate-induced hyperammonemia managed with L-carnitine in a medically healthy bipolar patient: Essential review of the literature and case report. Medicine (Baltimore) 2017;96:e8117.
4. Acar A, Yalçin E, Çavu?o?lu K. Protective effects of ?-carotene against ammonium sulfate toxicity: Biochemical and histopathological approach in mice model. J Med Food 2018;21:1145-9.
5. Meijer AJ, Lamers WH, Chamuleau RA. Nitrogen metabolism and ornithine cycle function. Physiol Rev 1990;70:701-48.
6. Butterworth RF. Effects of hyperammonaemia on brain function. J Inherit Metab Dis 1998;21 Suppl 1:6-20.
7. Butterworth RF. Pathogenesis of hepatic encephalopathy and brain edema in acute liver failure. J Clin Exp Hepatol 2015;5:S96-103.
8. Lena PJ, Subramanian P. Effects of melatonin on the levels of antioxidants and lipid peroxidation products in rats treated with ammonium acetate. Pharmazie 2004;59:636-9.
9. Subash S, Subramanian P. Impact of morin (a bioflavonoid) on ammonium chloride-mediated oxidative damage in rat kidney. Int J Nutr Pharmacol Neurol Dis 2011;1:174-8.
10. Lena PJ, Subramanian P. Nephroprotective effects of melatonin in hyperammonemia induced oxidative stress in wistar rats. Int J PharmTech Res 2015;8:74-8.
11. Messaadia A, Saka S, Krim M, Maidi I, Aouacheri O, Djafer R. Ginger-supplemented diet ameliorates ammonium nitrate-induced oxidative stress in rats. Afr J Biotechnol 2013;12:5909-16.
12. Kumar TS, Neeraja P. Ameliorative effect of zinc on ammonia induced alterations in antioxidant enzyme levels in kidney tissue of albino rat. Asian J Pharmacol Toxicol 2015;3:31-5.
13. Roohani N, Hurrell R, Kelishadi R, Schulin R. Zinc and its importance for human health: An integrative review. J Res Med Sci 2013;18:144 57.
14. Brand IA, Kleineke J. Intracellular zinc movement and its effect on the carbohydrate metabolism of isolated rat hepatocytes. J Biol Chem 1996;271:1941-9.
15. Fallah A, Mohammad-Hasani A, Colagar AH. Zinc is an essential element for male fertility: A review of Zn roles in men’s health, germination, sperm quality, and fertilization. J Reprod Infertil 2018;19:69-81.
16. Marreiro DD, Cruz KJ, Morais JB, Beserra JB, Severo JS, de Oliveira AR, et al. Zinc and oxidative stress: Current mechanisms. Antioxidants (Basel) 2017;6:e24.
17. Obaiah J, Rani AU. Mitigating role of zinc and iron against cadmium induced toxicity in liver and kidney of male albino rat: A study with reference to metallothionein quantification. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:411-7.
18. Tuzcu M, Sahin N, Dogukan A, Aslan A, Gencoglu H, Ilhan N, et al. Protective role of zinc picolinate on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. J Ren Nutr 2010;20:398-407.
19. Teslariu O, Pasca AS, Mititelu-Tartau L, Schiriac CE, Gales C, Saftencu PM, et al. The protective effects of zinc in experimental gentamicin induced acute renal failure in rats. J Physiol Pharmacol 2016;67:751-7.
20. Soussi A, Gargouri M, El Feki A. Effects of co-exposure to lead and zinc on redox status, kidney variables, and histopathology in adult albino rats. Toxicol Ind Health 2018;34:469-80.
21. Neto LC, Bacci MR, Sverzutt LC, Costa MG, Alves BC, Fonseca FL. The role of zinc in chronic kidney disease patients on hemodialysis: A systematic review. Health 2016;8:344-52.
22. Grüngreiff K, Reinhold D, Wedemeyer H. The role of zinc in liver cirrhosis. Ann Hepatol 2016;15:7-16.
23. Bergmeyer HV, editor. Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. New York: Academic Press; 1965. p. 401.
24. Natelson S. Technique of Clinical Chemistry. Illinois: Publisher Thomas C.C., Spring Field; 1971. p. 261-728.
25. Colowick SP, Kalpan NO. Methods of Engymology. New York: Academic Press; 1957. p. 501.
26. Chung WU. Glutamine synthetase-I: A comparative study of its inhibition by DL-amino hydroxyl-lysine. Comp Biochem Physiol 1963;8:335-51.
27. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951;193:265-75.
28. Moore S, Stein WH. A modified ninhydrin reagent for the photometric determination of amino acids and related compounds. J Biol Chem 1954;211:907-13.
29. Friedman TE, Hangen GE. Pyruvic acid I. Collection of the blood for determination of lactic acid. J Biol Chem 1942;147:67.
30. Nachlas MM, Margulies SI, Seligman AM. A colorimetric method for the estimation of succinic dehydrogenase activity. J Biol Chem 1960;235:499-503.
31. Prameelamma Y, Rao KV, Swami KS. Regulation of succinate dehydrogenase activity in gastrocnemius muscle of frog Rana hexadactyla. Indian J Exp Biol 1975;13:177-9.
32. Weiner ID, Verlander JW. Renal ammonia metabolism and transport. Compr Physiol 2013;3:201-20.
33. Subash S, Subramanian P. Protective effect of morin on lipid peroxidation and lipid profile in ammonium chloride-induced hyperammonemic rats. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2012;2:103-6.
34. Jalan R, Kapoor D. Enhanced renal ammonia excretion following volume expansion in patients with well compensated cirrhosis of the liver. Gut 2003;52:1041-5.
35. Liere V, Sandhu G, DeMorrow S. Recent advances in hepatic encephalopathy. F1000Res 2017;6:1637.
36. Weiner ID, Mitch WE, Sands JM. Urea and ammonia metabolism and the control of renal nitrogen excretion. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2015;10:1444-58.
37. Thenmozhi AJ, Subramanian P. Antioxidant potential of Momordica charantia in ammonium chloride-induced hyperammonemic rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011;2011:612023.
38. Babaknejad N, Moshtaghie AA, Nayeri H, Hani M, Bahrami S. Protective role of zinc and magnesium against cadmium nephrotoxicity in male wistar rats. Biol Trace Elem Res 2016;174:112-20.
39. Mesquita M, Pedroso TF, Oliveira CS, Oliveira VA, do Santos RF, Bizzi CA, et al. Effects of zinc against mercury toxicity in female rats 12 and 48 hours after hgCl2 exposure. EXCLI J 2016;15:256-67.
40. Yonova D, Vazelov E, Tzatchev K. Zinc status in patients with chronic renal failure on conservative and peritoneal dialysis treatment. Hippokratia 2012;16:356-9.
41. Gstraunthaler G, Holcomb T, Feifel E, Liu W, Spitaler N, Curthoys NP, et al. Differential expression and acid-base regulation of glutaminase mRNAs in gluconeogenic LLC-PK(1)-FBPase(+) cells. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2000;278:F227-37.
42. Newsholme P, Lima MM, Procopio J, Pithon-Curi TC, Doi SQ, Bazotte RB, et al. Glutamine and glutamate as vital metabolites. Braz J Med Biol Res 2003;36:153-63.
43. Cooper AJ. The role of glutamine synthetase and glutamate dehydrogenase in cerebral ammonia homeostasis. Neurochem Res 2012;37:2439-55.
44. Norenberg MD. Distribution of glutamine synthetase in the rat central nervous system. J Histochem Cytochem 1979;27:756-62.
45. Milman G, Portnoff LS, Tiemeier DC. Immunochemical evidence for glutamine-mediated degradation of glutamine synthetase in cultured Chinese hamster cells. J Biol Chem 1975;250:1393-9.
46. Liaw SH, Kuo I, Eisenberg D. Discovery of the ammonium substrate site on glutamine synthetase, a third cation binding site. Protein Sci 1995;4:2358-65.
47. Eisenberg D, Gill HS, Pfluegl GM, Rotstein SH. Structure-function relationships of glutamine synthetases. Biochim Biophys Acta 2000;1477:122-45.
48. Murray RK, Granner DK, Mayes PA, Rodwell VW. In: Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry. International 26th ed. New Delhi: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.; 2007. p. 46-7.
49. Santhi K. Histological and Metabolic Changes in Selected Tissues of the Fish, Oreochromis Massambicus under Chronic Ammonia Stress. Tirupati: Ph.D. Thesis Submitted to S. V. University; 1991.
50. Minárik P, Tomásková N, Kollárová M, Antalík M. Malate dehydrogenases--structure and function. Gen Physiol Biophys 2002;21:257-65.
51. Chatterjea MN, Shinde R. Text Book of Medical Biochemistry. 1st ed. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers Pvt., Ltd.; 1993. p. 258-80.
52. Lemire J, Mailloux RJ, Appanna VD. Mitochondrial lactate dehydrogenase is involved in oxidative-energy metabolism in human astrocytoma cells (CCF-STTG1). PLoS One 2008;3:e1550.
53. Rutter J, Winge DR, Schiffman JD. Succinate dehydrogenase assembly, regulation and role in human disease. Mitochondrion 2010;10:393-401.
54. Ali M, Mruthunjaya K, Nandini C, Nabeel K, Manjula SN. Chemoprotective effect of noni (Morinda citrifolia L.) fruit juice against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:105 10.
55. Priyadarshini J, Neeraja P. Impact of ammonia on oxidative metabolism in certain tissues of albino rat. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2015;6:215-21.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.