FEBUXOSTAT MODULATES OXIDATIVE AND APOPTOTIC PATHWAYS IN ACUTE DOXORUBICIN‑INDUCED CARDIOTOXICITY: AN EXPERIMENTAL ANIMAL MODEL STUDY
Objectives: Doxorubicin is one of the most important and powerful anticancer drugs, the most pronounced limitation for its use is toxicity on normal cells. Mechanism of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity (DIC) is multifactorial and complex, including direct DNA damage, formation of free radicals, interference with DNA repair, and activation of immune reactions. Febuxostat is a non-purine-selective xanthine oxidase inhibitor decrease the production of uric acid. The aim of the present study was to evaluate the influence of febuxostat on doxorubicin-induced acute cardiotoxicity in rats regarding oxidative stress and antiapoptotic effects.
Methods: A total of 30 Sprague Dawley male rats were used which subdivided into three groups: Group I (negative control group) received normal saline for 10 days, Group II (positive control group) received normal saline plus single dose of doxorubicin (15 mg/kg, IP), and Group III (treated group) received febuxostat (10 mg/kg, po), for 10 successive days plus single dose of doxorubicin (15 mg/kg, I.P.). Serum brain natriuretic peptide (BNP), cardiac troponin I (cTn-I), caspase-3, glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), lipid peroxidase (LPO), malondialdehyde (MDA), and tumor necrosis factor alpha were estimated by ELISA kit method.
Results: Febuxostat administration before doxorubicin led to significant decrease on cardiac troponin, caspase-3, and elevation in GSH-Px levels significantly p<0.05. While the effects of febuxostat on BNP, LPO, MDA, tumor necrosis-alpha were insignificant p>0.05 compare to doxorubicin.
Conclusion: Febuxostat attenuates DIC through modulation of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiapoptotic biomarkers.
2. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Interleukin-17: A cardiac biomarker in estimation of cardioprotective effects of tacrolimus in doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity: Animal model study. Int J Recent Sci Res 2015;6:2769-74.
3. Hayder MA, Al-Gareeb AI, Al-Hussaniy HA. Doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity: Molecular mechanism and protection by conventional drugs and natural products. Int J Clin Oncol Cancer Res 2017;2:31-44.
4. Ravichandra V, Hanumantharayappa B, Papasani VM. Evaluation of cardio protective activity of galangin against doxorubicin induced cardiomyopathy. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:86-90.
5. Kalyani C, Narasu ML, Devi Y. Synergistic growth inhibitory effect of flavonol-kaempferol and conventional chemotherapeutic drugs on cancer cells. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;9:123-7.
6. Durham KK, Chathely KM, Mak KC, Momen A, Thomas CT, Zhao YY, et al. HDL protects against doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in a scavenger receptor class B Type 1-,PI3K-,and akt-dependent manner. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2018;314:H31-44.
7. Kobayashi M, Usui F, Karasawa T, Kawashima A, Kimura H, Mizushina Y, et al. NLRP3 deficiency reduces macrophage interleukin-10 production and enhances the susceptibility to doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. Sci Rep 2016;6:26489.
8. Sarvepalli PS, Fatima M, Quadri AK, Taher AR, Habeeb A, Amreen F, et al. Study of therapeutic efficacy of febuxostat in chronic kidney disease stage IIIA to stage VD. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2018;29:1050-6.
9. Krishnamurthy B, Rani N, Bharti S, Golechha M, Bhatia J, Nag TC, et al. Febuxostat ameliorates doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Chem Biol Interact 2015;237:96-103.
10. Su S, Li Q, Liu Y, Xiong C, Li J, Zhang R, et al. Sesamin ameliorates doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity: Involvement of sirt1 and mn-SOD pathway. Toxicol Lett 2014;224:257-63.
11. Ashour OM, Elberry AA, Alahdal A, Al Mohamadi AM, Nagy AA, Abdel-Naim AB, et al. Protective effect of bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) against doxorubicin-induced oxidative cardiotoxicity in rats. Med Sci Monit 2011;17:BR110-5.
12. Reagan WJ, York M, Berridge B, Schultze E, Walker D, Pettit S, et al. Comparison of cardiac troponin I and T, including the evaluation of an ultrasensitive assay, as indicators of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. Toxicol Pathol 2013;41:1146-58.
13. Dylan S, Chan SH, Yip S, Rodis B, Starovoytov A, Lam L, et al. clinical outcomes of acute ischemic stroke patients stratified by cardiac troponin-i: A retrospective analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017;69:140.
14. Montenegro MF, Lundberg JO, Weitzberg E. Cardiovascular safety of febuxostat. N Engl J Med 2018;379:1583-4.
15. Khan G, Haque SE, Anwer T, Ahsan MN, Safhi MM, Alam MF, et al. Cardioprotective effect of green tea extract on doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Acta Pol Pharm 2014;71:861-8.
16. Niki E. Biomarkers of lipid peroxidation in clinical material. Biochim Biophys Acta 2014;1840:809-17.
17. Wang S, Li Y, Song X, Wang X, Zhao C, Chen A, et al. Febuxostat pretreatment attenuates myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury via mitochondrial apoptosis. J Transl Med 2015;13:209.
18. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Eustress and malondialdehyde (MDA): Role of panax ginseng: Randomized placebo controlled study. Iran J Psychiatry 2017;12:194-200.
19. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI, Al-Maiahy TJ. Concept and connotation of oxidative stress in preeclampsia. J Lab Physicians 2018;10:276-82.
20. Shafik AN. Febuxostat improves the local and remote organ changes induced by intestinal ischemia/reperfusion in rats. Dig Dis Sci 2013;58:650-9.
21. Zhao L, Zhang B. Doxorubicin induces cardiotoxicity through upregulation of death receptors mediated apoptosis in cardiomyocytes. Sci Rep 2017;7:44735.
22. Ramos MF, Monteiro de Barros AD, Razvickas CV, Borges FT, Schor N. Xanthine oxidase inhibitors and sepsis. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2018;32:2058738418772210.
23. Ruggiero A, De Rosa G, Rizzo D, Leo A, Maurizi P, De Nisco A, et al. Myocardial performance index and biochemical markers for early detection of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in children with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Int J Clin Oncol 2013;18:927-33.
24. Zelt JG, Liu PP, Erthal F, deKemp RA, Wells G, O’Meara E, et al. N-terminal pro B-type natriuretic peptide and high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T levels are related to the extent of hibernating myocardium in patients with ischemic heart failure. Can J Cardiol 2017;33:1478-88.
25. Khan SI, Malhotra RK, Rani N, Sahu AK, Tomar A, Garg S, et al. Febuxostat modulates MAPK/NF-?Bp65/TNF-? signaling in cardiac ischemia-reperfusion injury. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2017;2017:8095825.
26. Kapoor N, Saxena S. Xanthine oxidase inhibitory and antioxidant potential of Indian muscodor species. 3 Biotech 2016;6:248.
27. Al-Kurishy H, Al-Gareeb AI. Advances and prospects of nicardipine effects in attenuation ofhydroxy-daunorubicin induced acute cardiotoxicity in rats. Adv Biomed Pharm 2015;2:274-82.
28. White WB, Chohan S, Dabholkar A, Hunt B, Jackson R. Cardiovascular safety of febuxostat and allopurinol in patients with gout and cardiovascular comorbidities. Am Heart J 2012;164:14-20.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.