STABILITY-INDICATING HIGH-PERFORMANCE THIN-LAYER CHROMATOGRAPHY METHOD FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF FORMOTEROL FUMARATE DIHYDRATE AND FLUTICASONE PROPIONATE IN BULK DRUG AND PHARMACEUTICAL DOSAGE FORM
Objective: The objective of the present work was to develop validated stability-indicating high-performance thin-layer chromatographic method for simultaneous estimation of formoterol fumarate dihydrate (FFD) and fluticasone propionate (FP) in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage form.
Methods: Pre-coated silica gel aluminum plates 60 F-254 were used as stationary phase. The mixture of toluene:ethyl acetate:formic acid (98%) (6:4:0.1; v/v/v) was used as a mobile phase. The densitometric quantification was carried out at 233 nm. The method was validated according to the ICH guidelines. The specificity and stability indicating the capability of the method were proven though degradation studies. Both drugs were subjected to acid (0.1N HCl) and base (0.1N NaOH) hydrolysis, oxidation (3% v/v H2O2), photolytic, and neutral degradation conditions.
Results: The selected mobile phase resolved peaks of FFD and FP with Rf values 0.27±0.10 and 0.64±0.10, respectively. Determination coefficients of calibration curves were found to be 0.998 and 0.999 in the range of 1–3.5 μg/spot and 10–60 μg/spot for FFD and FP with an accuracy of 99.09% for FFD and 99.20% for FP. The degradation products of FFD and FP were resolved from the pure drug with significant differences in their retention factor values.
Conclusion: The developed method is simple, accurate and can be successfully applied for quantification of FFD and FP in bulk drug and pharmaceutical dosage form, contributing to improve the quality control and assure the therapeutic efficacy.
2. Available from: htpp://www.drugbank.com.
3. Available from: htpp://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FormoterolFumarateDihydrate.
4. Available from: htpp://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FluticasonePropionate.
5. The Indian Pharmacopoeia. The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. 6th ed., Vol. 2, Ghaziabad: The Indian Pharmacopoeia; 2010. p. 1382-4, 1386-7.
6. British Pharmacopoeia Commission. British Pharmacopoeia. Vol. 2. London: Her Majestry’s Stationary Office; 2013. p. 974-6, 984-6.
7. United States Pharmacopoeia Convention. United States Pharmacopoeia 30. National Formulary 25. Vol. 2. Rockville, USA: United States Pharmacopoeia Convention; 2013. p. 3653-7, 3669-70.
8. Council of Europe. European Pharmacopoeia 7.2. European Directorate for the Quality of Medicine and Healthcare. Vol. 2. Strasbourg: Council of Europe; 2010. p. 2059-2060, 2067-69.
9. Malik K, Kumar D. Simultaneous quantitative determination of formoterol fumarate and fluticasone propionate by validated reversed-phase HPLC method in metered dose inhaler. Pharm Sinica 2011;2:77 84.
10. Raval PP, Dave JB. Estimation of fluticasone propionate in nasal preparation and in combination with formoterol furamate in inhalation preparation. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:1148-60.
11. Assi KH, Tarsin W, Chrystyn H. High performance liquid chromatography assay method for simultaneous quantitation of formoterol and budesonide in symbicort turbuhaler. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2006;41:325-8.
12. Akapo SO, Asif M. Validation of a RP-HPLC method for the assay of formoterol and its related substances in formoterol fumarate dihydrate drug substance. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2003;33:935-45.
13. Shah BD, Yadav YC. Analytical method development and method validation of tiotropium bromide and formoterol fumarate metered dose inhaler by using RP-HPLC method. Asian J Biochem Pharm Res 2011;1:145-58.
14. Kale NR, Pingle AP. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of formoterol fumarate and budesonide in metered dose inhaler formulation. World J Pharm Res 2014;3:1386-99.
15. Patil AT, Patil SD. Sensitive LC method for simultaneous determination of ciclesonide and formoterol fumarate in dry powder inhaler. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2011;34:1568-77.
16. Srinivasaro K, Gorule V. Validated method development for estimation of formoterol fumarate and mometasone furoate in metered dose inhalation form by high performance liquid chomatography. J Anal Bioanal Tech 2012;3:1-4.
17. Gujrati PZ, Thula KC. Stability indicating HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of mometasone furoate and formoterol fumarate in combined dosage form. Pharmacophore 2014;5:219-30.
18. Samir A, Salem H. simultaneous determination of salmeterol xinafoate and fluticasone propioanate in bulk powder and seritide diskus by HPLC. Pharm Anal Acta 2012;3:1-7.
19. Parmar VK, Patel HN. Sensitive and robust methods for simultaneous determination of beclomethasone dipropionate and formoterol fumarate dihydrate in rotacaps. J Chom Sci 2014;52:1255-66.
20. Dave HN, Makwana AG. Validated HPTLC method for the determination of two novel steroids in bulk and pressurized metered dose preparations. Int J Appl Sci Eng 2011;9:177-85.
21. Kondawar MS, Shah RR. UV spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of salmeterol xinafoate and fluticasone propionate in bulk and dosage form. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2011;3:1801 6.
22. Zanwar AS, Sen DB. Spectroscopic method for simultaneous estimation of mometasone furoate and formoterol in rotocaps. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2014;4:5928-33.
23. Prasad AV. Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of formoterol fumarate and budesonide in their combined dosage form. Indian J Chem Technol 2006;13:81-3.
24. Mohd G, Appala S. Development and validation of spectrometric methods for estimation of formoterol bulk drug and its dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:306-9.
25. Samir A, Salem H. New developed spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of salmeterol xinafoate and fluticasone propionate in bulk powder and seritide diskus inhalation. Bull Faculty Pharm 2012;50:121-6.
26. Kasaye L, Hymete A, Mohamed AM. HPTLC-densitometric method for simultaneous determination of salmeterol xinafoate and fluticasone propionate in dry powder inhalers. Saudi Pharm J 2010;18:153-9.
27. Gowekar NM, Wadher SJ. Simultaneous estimation of formoterol fumarate dihydrate and fluticasone propionate in dry powder inhalation formulation by HPTLC. Pharma Chem 2016;8:27-32.
28. International Conference on Harmonization. Q2B. Validation of Analytical Procedure: Methodology. Geneva: International Conference on Harmonization; 1996.
29. ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline. Validation of Analytical Procedure: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1). Geneva: International Conference on Harmonization; 2005.
30. International Conference on Harmonisation (ICH) Guidelines. Q1A (R2) for Stability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products. Geneva, Switzerland: International Conference on Harmonization; 2003.
31. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) Guidelines. Q1B for Stability Testing: Photo-stability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products. Geneva, Switzerland: International Conference on Harmonization; 1996.
32. Shinde CC, Chopade S, Dhaneshwar SS. Development and validation of HPTLC method for estimation of voglibose in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:288-93.
33. Chudiwal SS, Dehghan MH. Analytical method development and validation for quantification of flunisolide in nasal spray formulation by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:141-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.