IN VITRO STUDY OF THE BRONCHORELAXATION EFFECT OF COPTOSAPELTA FLAVESCENS KORTH. ROOT’S EXTRACT AND FRACTIONS
Objective: This study aimed to compare the bronchorelaxation effect of the methanol extract, hexane fraction, ethyl acetate fraction, and methanol fraction of Coptosapelta flavescens Korth. roots (CFRs) on the isolated bronchial rings of guinea pig.
Methods: Research design was experimental in which a 4-mm long bronchus of a male guinea pig was kept in an isolated organ bath containing Krebs-Henseleit solution at 37°C, pH 7.4, and flooded with carbogen gas. The bronchial ring was precontracted with methacholine and then given six doses of C. flavescens Korth. root’s methanol extract (MECFR) solution cumulatively. The extract’s solvent 10% dimethyl sulfoxide ethanol was used as negative control. This procedure was then repeated using CFRs hexane fraction (HFCFR) solution, CFRs ethyl acetate fraction (EAFCFR), and CFRs methanol fraction (MFCFR).
Results: The bronchorelaxation effect of MECFR, MFCFR, EAFCFR, and HFCFR is shown by their dose-response curves (DRCs) which are significantly different compared with the extracts solvent’s DRC. The maximal efficacy (Emax) of MFCFR was the same (p>0.05) as the MECFRs Emax, but the EAFCFRs and HFCFRs Emax were smaller (p<0.05) than the MECFRs Emax.
Conclusion: The bronchorelaxation effect of the MECFR on the guinea pig’s bronchial ring is similar to the CFRs methanol fraction, and is stronger than the CFRs ethyl acetate fraction and CFRs hexane fraction.
2. Ajiningrum PS. Valuasi potensi keanekaragaman jenis hasil hutan non kayu (HHNK) masyarakat lokal Dayak Lundayeh dan Umaâ€™lung di Kabupaten Malinau Kalimantan Timur. Tesis. Program Pascasarjana, Program Studi Biologi, Fakultas Matematika dan Ilmu Pengetahuan Alam, Universitas Indonesia, Depok. 2011; p 68
3. Darusman LK. FINAL TECHNICAL REPORT, The potential of medicinal plants to support sustainable forest management: Ecological, economic, and SOCiocultura. I Aspects, Bogor Indonesia; 2004.
4. Global Initiative for Ashma (GINA), Pocket guide for ashma management and prevention, A Pocket Guide for Health Professionals Updated 2017; p 11-16
5. Ouedraogo N. and Roux E. Physiology of airway smooth muscle contraction: An Overview. J Pulm Respir Med 2014; 4:6
6. Kosala K. Uji fitokimia dan toksisitas fraksi ekstrak akar tambolekar (Coptosapelta flavescens Korth) dengan reaksi warna dan Brine Shrimp Lethaly Test, Molucca Medica Jurnal Kedokteran dan Kesehatan 2015;8:98-104.
7. Wani SA, Iqbal H. and Basir SF. Mechanism of flavonoids action in smooth muscle relaxation. World J Pharmacy and Pharm Sci 2017; 6:514-550
8. Albuquerque AAS, Carvalho MTM, Evora PM, de Nadai TR, Celotto AC. and Evora PRB. In vitro reactivity (â€œorgan chamberâ€) of guinea pig tracheal ringsâ€”methodology considerations, Ann Transl Med 2016;4:216.
9. Sahidin I. Mengenal Senyawa Alami: Pembentukan dan Pengelompokan Secara Kimia, Unhalu Press, Kendari; 2012.
10. Barisione G, Baroffio M, Crimi E. and Brusasco V. Review Beta-adrenergic agonists. Pharmaceuticals 2010; 3:1016-1044.
11. Johnson M. Molecular mechanisms of b2-adrenergic receptor function, response, and regulation. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2006; 117:18-24
12. Kasahara DI, Perini A, Lopes FDTQS, Arantes-Costa FM, Martins MA, Nunes MPT. Effect of salbutamol on pulmonary responsiveness in chronic pulmonary allergic inflammation in guinea pigs. Braz J Med Biol Res 2005; 38:723-730
13. Husori DI, Harahap U, Marianne, Yuliasmi S, Patilaya P, Laila L. Preliminary study of ethanolic extract of pogun tano (Picria fel-terrae lour.) leaves on Î²2-adrenoceptors, histamine1 receptors and muscarinic3 acetylcholine receptors on isolated guinea-pig tracheal. Journal of Pharmacy Research 2017; 11:1279-1284.
14. Vieira AB, Coelho LP, Insuela, DBR, Carvalho VF, dos Santos MH, Silva PM, et al. Mangiferin prevents guinea pig tracheal contraction via activation of the Nitric Oxide-Cyclic GMP pathway. PLoS ONE 2013; 8: e71759.
15. Setiorini. Deteksi metabolit sekunder yang bersifat antioksidan fraksi ekstrak Akar Tambolekar (Coptosapelta flavescens Korth) dengan kromatografi lapis tipis. Fakultas Kedokteran Unmul Samarinda; 2015.
16. Myint PP, Kyi MM, Myint SH. and Ngwe DH. Investigation of phytochemical constituents and smooth muscle relaxation activity of various herbal plants in Myanmar, Journal of Complementary and Alternative Medical Research 2016;1
17. Asifa S, Mueen A, Madiha H, Alamgeer and Safur RM. Pharmacological evaluation of antispasmodic and bronchodilator effects of Spinacia oleraceae L. American Journal of Phytomedicine and Clinical Therapeutics 2017;5(2):13
18. Adesina SK, Johnny II. and Olayiwola G. Plants in respiratory disorders anti-asthmatics, A Review, British Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2017;16:1-22
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.