STUDYING THE EFFECT OF DIFFERENT GELLING AGENT ON THE PREPARATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF METRONIDAZOLE AS TOPICAL EMULGEL
Objective: Emulgels as topical dosage form recently gains an interest represent a combination of gels and emulsions in united form. Metronidazole is an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory drug, as the first topical therapy approved for rosacea; metronidazole has remained a cornerstone of rosacea management.
Methods: Emulgel formulations of metronidazole benzoate were prepared using two types of gelling agents, Carbopol 940 and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, the influence of type and concentration of them on the release of metronidazole benzoate was investigated. The prepared formulations were evaluated on the basis of pH, spreadability, viscosity, drug content, in vitro release, and compatibility studies.
Results: All the prepared emulgels showed acceptable physical properties concerning color, homogeneity, consistency, spreadability, and pH value.
Conclusion: The best formulation (F4) prepared using Carbopol 940 as gelling agent showed the highest drug release through 5 h.
2. Davinder K, Singh J, Antil M, Kumar V. Emulgel-novel topical drug delivery system-a comprehensive review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2016;7:4733.
3. Japan P, Patel B, Banwait H, Parmar K, Patel M. Formulation and evaluation of topical aceclofenac gel using different gelling agent. Int J Drug Dev Res 2011;3:156-64.
4. Piyusha D, Jain A, Vyas N, Khambete H, Jain S. Gellified emulsion for sustain delivery of itraconazole for topical fungal diseases. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:104-12.
5. Khaled MH, Rambo SM, Al-Zahrani MM, Al-Subhi SM, Fahmy UA. Ketoprofen emulgel: Preparation, characterization, and pharmacodynamic evaluation. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2013;20:306-10.
6. Tirnaksiz F, Kayi? A, Çelebi N, Adi?en E, Erel A. Preparation and evaluation of topical microemulsion system containing metronidazole for remission in rosacea. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 2012;60:583-92.
7. Mali A, Hake A, Patil M, Bathe R, Patil M, Tamboli A. Estimation of metronidazole benzoate in bulk and formulation by first order derivative area under curve UV-spectrophotometric methods. Int J Res Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;1:42-6.
8. Devesh K, Vyas RB, Lad C, Patel M, Lal B, Parmar R. Formulation, development and characterization of emulgel of a NSAID’S. Pharm Chem J 2014;1:9-16.
9. Chavda VP, Patel J, Parmar K, Nakum S, Soniwala MM, Chavda JR. Preparation and evaluation of methyl salicylate counter reparation and evaluation of methyl salicylate counter-irritant emulgel of mefenamic acid irritant emulgel of mefenamic acid. Int J Pharm Med Res 2013;1:27-32.
10. Vijaya B, Vippamakula S, Lakshmi PK. Development and optimization of novel diclo fenacemulgel for topical drug delivery. Int J Compr Pharm 2011;2:1-9.
11. Kumari A, Singh A, Saurabh SS, Rathore KS, Issarani1 R. Formulation and evaluation of lycopene emulgel. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2015;2:1013-27.
12. Doaa AH, El-Rhman DA, Abdel-Halim SA, El-Nabarawi MA. Formulation and evaluation of fluconazole topical gel. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:176-83.
13. Anuradha AS, Mohite SK. Formulation and evaluation of itraconazoleemulgel for topical drug delivery. Asian J Pharm Technol 2015;5:91-6.
14. Mohamed MI. Optimization of chlorphenesin emulgel formulation. AAPS J 2004;6:e26.
15. Ramakanth A, Kumar VS. Formulation and characterization of ketoprofenemulgels. J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;5:112-7.
16. Ulya B, Amasya G, Sen T, Tarimci N. Topical emulgel formulation containing inclusion complex of calcipotriol with cyclodextrin. J Incl Phenom 2014;78:249-55.
17. Dignesh MK, Ashish DM, Dinesh RS. Formulation design and development of piroxicamemulgel. Int J PharmTech Res 2012;4:1332-44.
18. Theresa CJ, Minju R, Reshma KR, Vidya TV, Vrinda PS, Vrindha TN. Spectrophotometric determination of metronidazole in bulk and dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;1:11-5.
19. Kishor VN, Shailesh GS, Moreshwar PP. Formulation development, in vitro and in vivo evaluation of microemulsion-based gel loaded with ketoprofen. Drug Deliv 2015;22:509-15.
20. Dantas MG, Reis SA, Damasceno CM, Rolim LA, Rolim-Neto PJ, Carvalho FO, et al. Development and evaluation of stability of a gel formulation containing the monoterpeneborneol. Sci World J 2016;2016:1-4.
21. Patil SA, Sarode S, Sathe BS, Jain PV, Jain BV, Vadnere GP. Formulation and evaluation of etodolac trans-emulgel. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:1731-49.
22. Chavda V, Vishal R. Formulation and evaluation of naproxen emulgel for topical delivery by a modified method. Int J Compr Pharm 2013;7:1-4.
23. El-Bary AA, Shalaby S, El-Aal A. Formulation and stability of chloramphenicolgel and emulgel. Bull Fac Pharm 2001;39:89-99.
24. Patil PD, Desai SR, Disouza JI. Stability analysis and quantitative evaluation of metronidazole suspension. Ind J Pharm Bio Res 2016;4:1-5.
25. Alam MA, Al-Jenoobi FI, Al-Mohizea AM, Ali R. Effervescence assisted fusion technique to enhance the solubility of drugs. AAPS PharmSciTech 2015;16:1487-94.
26. Usama FA, Heba FM. Novel pharmaceutical gels containing glycyrrhizic acid ammonium salt for chronic wounds. Br J Pharm Res 2014;4:654.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.