PHYTOCHEMICALS SCREENING AND ACTIVITIES OF BINAHONG (ANREDERA CORDIFOLIA [TEN.] STEENIS) LEAVES AND BEETROOTS (BETA VULGARIS L.) IN INCREASING SWIMMING ENDURANCE IN MICE
Objective: The aim of this research was to the identification of bioactive compounds and comparison of binahong (Anredera cordifolia [Ten.] Steenis) leaves and beetroots (Beta vulgaris L.) ethanol extract in swimming endurance activity in mice.
Methods: The type of research that has been carried out is experimental laboratory which includes identification of bioactive content quality and testing of swimming endurance effect by comparing the difference between before and after treatment by binahong leaves and beetroots ethanol extract.
Results: The results of bioactive compounds identification of binahong leaves and beetroots are alkaloids, glycosides, cyanogenic glycosides, flavonoids, and tannins. Steroid compounds are only found in binahong leaves. The results of swimming resistance are significantly different (p<0.05) in all groups. Animals group given 20% binahong leaves extract increased swimming resistance for 36,392 min, followed by caffeine for 33,440 minutes, then 10% binahong leaves extract for 29,142 min.
Conclusion: Binahong leaves and beetroots have almost the same bioactive content except in the steroid content. The binahong leaves swimming endurance activity is higher than the bit bulbs.
2. Laksmitawati DR, Widyastuti A, Karami N, Afifah E, Davidson Rihibiha D, Nufus H, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of Anredera cordifolia and Piper crocatum extracts on lipopolysaccharide-stimulated macrophage cell line. Bangladesh J Pharmacol 2017;12 Suppl 1:35-40.
3. Nazliniwaty N, Suryanto S, Damanik DD. The utilization of binahong (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) steenins) leaf as an anti-aging. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11 Suppl 1:87-9.
4. Garmana AN, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I. Antihypertension study of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) V. steenins extract and its fractions in rats through dexamethasone induction and nitric oxide release. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11 Suppl 1:278-82.
5. Leliqia NP, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I. Antibacterial activities of Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) V. steenins leaves extracts and fractions. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10 Suppl 12:175-8.
6. Sukandar EY, Safitri D, Aini NN. The study of ethanol extract of binahong leaves (Anredera cordifolia (Ten.) V. steenins) and mulberry leaves (Morus nigra L.) in combination on hyperlipidemic induced rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9 Suppl 6:288-92.
7. Sutrisno E, Adnyana IK, Sukandar EY, Fidrianny I, Aligita W. Anti-inflammatory study of Anredera cordifolia leaves Centella asiatica herbs and its combantions using human red blood cell-membrane stabilization method. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9 Suppl 5:78-80.
8. Biondo PB, Boeing JS, Barizão EO, de Souza NE, Matsushita M, de Oliveira CC, et al. Evaluation of beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) leaves during its developmental stages: A chemical composition study. Food Sci Technol (Campinas) 2014;34 Suppl 1:94-101.
9. El-Gengaihi SE, Hamed MA, Aboubaker DH, Mossa AT. Flavonoids from sugar beet leaves as hepatoprotective agent. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8 Suppl 4:281-6.
10. Hamdiken M, Kechird Z. Chard (Beta vulgaris Var. Cicla) extract modulates zinc status, glucose level and antioxydant values in diabetic rats fed zinc deficiency diet. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9 Suppl 10:297-304.
11. Health Department of Republic of Indonesia. Materia Medika Indonesia. Vol. 5. Jakarta: Directorate General Supervision of Drugs and Food (Dirjen POM); 1989.
12. Farnsworth NR. Biological and phytochemical screening of plants. J Pharm Sci 1966;55:225-76.
13. Turner RA. Screening Methods in pharmacology. Vol. 1. New York: Academic Press; 1965.
14. Yulianita, Kardono BS, Simanjuntak P. Stimulantia effectiveness of extract green tea, red ginger and centella lozenges. J Young Pharm 2017;9 Suppl 1:70-2.
15. Kumalasari E, Sulistyani N. Antifungal activity of ethanol extract of binahong stem (Anredera cordifolia (Tenore) Steen) against Candida albicans and phytochemical screening. Univ Ahmad Dahlan 2011;1:51-62.
16. Basyuni M, Ginting PY, Lesmana I. Phytochemical analysis of binahong (Anredera cordifolia) leaves extract to inhibit in vitro growth of Aeromonas hydrophila. Am Inst Phys 2017;020072:1-5.
17. Váli L, Stefanovits-Bányai E, Szentmihályi K, Fébel H, Sárdi E, Lugasi A, et al. Liver-protecting effects of table beet (Beta vulgaris var. Rubra) during ischemia-reperfusion. Nutrition 2007;23:172-8.
18. Onkar PR, Powar PV, Sharma PH, Avari JG. Evaluation of phytochemical and pharmacological activity of beetroot extracts (Beta vulgaris). Biochem Pharmacol 2013;2 Suppl 4:145.
19. Maraie NK, Abdul-Jalil TZ, Alhamdany AT, Janabi HA. Phytochemical study of the Iraqi Beta vulgaris leaves and its clinical applications for the treatment of different dermatological diseases. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3 Suppl 8:5-19.
20. Wijayanti D, Setiatin ET, Kurnianto E. Leucocyte profile and offspring production of guinea pig (Cavia cobaya) given Anredera cordifolia leaf extract. J Indonesian Trop Anim Agric 2018;43 Suppl 1:19-25.
21. Manoi. Binahong as a medicine. Plantation Research and Development Center, Yogyakarta, Warta: Industrial Research and Development Warta; 2009.
22. Pospieszna B, Wochna K, Jerszynski D, Goscinna K, Czapski J. Ergogenic effects of dietary nitrates in female swimmers. Trends Sport Sci 2016;1 Suppl 23:13-20.
23. Heinrich M, Barnes J, Gibbons S, Williamson EM. Fundamentals of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy. 2nd ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 2012.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.