DOUBLE-BLIND RANDOMIZED CLINICAL TRIAL OF KAEMPFERIA GALANGA L EXTRACT AS AN ANTI-INFLAMMATION (PROSTAGLANDIN E2 AND TUMOR NECROSIS FACTOR ALPHA) ON OSTEOARTHRITIS
Objective: The purpose of this study was to compare the effectiveness of the rhizome extract against inflammatory markers such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha and prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) with meloxicam in patients with osteoarthritis at knee.
Materials and Methods: This study designed two phases as follows: The preparation of rhizome extract in a capsule dosage form which was then followed by double-blind clinical trials, randomized controlled, pre- and post-test design (18 cases) using the WOMAC scores for pain, to markers of inflammation using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay method.
Results: The results did not reveal any significant differences in pain scores, stiffnesses, and physical function impairment between the intervention (the rhizome extract) and control groups (meloxicam), it either did not reveal any significant differences in the parameters of inflammatory marker TNF alpha and PGE2 among the groups.
Conclusion: The rhizome extract had the same effect on pain, stiffness, physical interference as meloxicam, and on PGE2 as well as on the inflammatory marker TNF-alpha. Therefore, this extract can be used as an alternative herbal medicine for osteoarthritis.
2. Dwicandra N, Setiadi A. Comparison of pain score in osteoarthritis patients treated with a combination of diacerein and meloxicam and meloxicam alone. Int Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:69-73.
3. Sulthana N, Vijaya K. Prevention of peptic ulcers by curcumin in chemically induced ostheoarthritis. Int Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:29 34.
4. Kanjanapothi D, Panthong A, Lertprasertsuke N, Taesotikul T, Rujjanawate C, Kaewpinit D, et al. Toxicity of crude rhizome extract of Kaempferia galanga L. (Proh hom). J Ethnopharmacol 2004;90:359 65.
5. Karsdal MA, Michaelis M, Ladel C, Siebuhr AS, Bihlet AR, Andersen JR, et al. Disease-modifying treatments for osteoarthritis (DMOADs) of the knee and hip: Lessons learned from failures and opportunities for the future. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2016;24:2013 21.
6. Martel-Pelletier J, Pelletier JP. Is osteoarthritis a disease involving only cartilage or other articular tissues? Eklem Hastalik Cerrahisi 2010;21: 14.
7. Mohanty S, Parida R, Singh S, Joshi RK, Subudhi E, Nayak S. Biochemical and molecular profiling of micropropagated and conventionally grown Kaempferia galanga. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 2011;106:39-46.
8. Ridtitid W, Sae-Wong C, Reanmongkol W, Wongnawa M. Antinociceptive activity of the methanolic extract of Kaempferia galanga Linn. In experimental animals. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;118:225-30.
9. Smith HS, Baird W. Pharmaceutical update Meloxicam and selective COX-2 inhibitors in the management of pain in the palliative care population. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 2016;20:297-306.
10. Turajane T, Wongbunnak R, Patcharatrakul T, Ratansumawong K, Poigampetch Y, Songpatanasilp T, et al. Gastrointestinal and cardiovascular risk of non-selective NSAIDs and COX-2 inhibitors in elderly patients with knee osteoarthritis. J Med Assoc Thai 2009;92 Suppl 6:S19-26.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.