DEVELOPMENT OF ANALYTICAL METHOD FOR IDENTIFICATION OF ESSENTIAL OIL FROM BLUMEA ERIANTHA DC IN PLASMA.
The present study was designed to develop a head space gas chromatography method using mass spectrometric detection for identification of essential oil constituents from Blumea eriantha DC in plasma.
The essential oil was extracted by hydrodistillation using Clevenger type apparatus. The rabbit plasma samples were spiked with essential oil and were further analyzed using dynamic head-space sampling with gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS).
The analysis of plasma samples spiked with essential oil has revealed the selective absorption of some of the essential oil components.
Analytical method has been developed for identification of essential oil constituents in plasma which will be helpful in further in vivo pharmacokinetic studies of the essential oil.
Blumea eriantha DC, Dynamic Headspace Sampling, GC-MS, Plasma.
2. Balchin ML. Aromatherapy Science: A Guide for Healthcare Professionals. 1st edn. USA: Pharmaceutical Press; 2006.
3. Dweck AC. Toxicology of Essential Oils Reviewed. Personal Care 2009; 65-77.
4. Gabbanini S, Lucchi E, Carli M, Berlini E, Minghetti A, et al. In Vitro Evaluation of the Permeation through Reconstructed Human Epidermis of Essentials Oils from Cosmetic Formulations. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2009; 50: 370-376.
5. Weibel H, Hansen J. Penetration of the Fragrance Compounds, Cinnamaldehyde and Cinnamyl Alcohol, through Human Skin In Vitro. Contact Dermatitis 1989; 20:167-172.
6. Weyers W, Brodbeck R. Skin Permeation of Essential Oils. Pharmacokinetic. Pharm Unserer Zeit 1989; 18: 82-86.
7. Singh UP, Singh AK, Sarathy RP. Effect of Methanolic Extracts of Blumea eriantha DC Leaves on Protein Metabolism and Marker Enzymes in Streptozotocin Induced Hyperglycemic Animals. Int J of Pharm Sci 2012; 4: 235-238.
8. Khare CP. Indian Medicinal Plants- An Illustrated Dictionary. USA: Springer Science Business Media; 2007.
9. Mohanty KK, Chakraborty DP, Roy S. Insecticidal Properties of Some Indigenous Plants against Stored Grain Pests. Sci cult 1988; 54: 207- 209.
10. Pednekar PP, Vakil BV, Sane RT, Datar AG. Antimicrobial Activity of Essential Oil of Blumea eriantha DC against Skin Pathogens. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012; 4: 296-299.
11. Pednekar PP, Vakil BV, Sane RT, Datar AG. Phytochemical Profile and Antioxidant Activity of the Essential Oil from Blumea eriantha DC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013; 5: 404-413.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.