CYTOTOXICITY AND EXPRESSION STUDIES OF ANGIOGENESIS-PROMOTING GENES IN CANCER CELL LINES UNDER THE TREATMENT OF CANCER CANDIDATE DRUGS
Objective: Human antigen R (HuR) is a member of the RNA-binding proteins which is a critical factor in mediating the proangiogenic factors resulting in angiogenesis among the tumors. During inflammation and anoxic conditions, cytokine interleukin-1 (IL-1) was found to activate the HuR which, in turn, aids in upregulation or downregulation of the hypoxia-inducible factors (HIF) 1α. The present study was designed to study the correlative effect of the cancer drug docetaxel (Taxotere) on the expression levels of HuR and HIF1α using HeLa cell lines.
Materials and Methods: The drug was tested for cytotoxicity among the cancer cell lines using the lactate dehydrogenase and 3-(4)5-Dimethyl-thiazol-zyl)-2, 5, biphenyl tetrazolium bromide assay. Gene expression and correlation were found by the real-time expression of the gene members under the treatment. The same study was also confirmed using the molecular docking tools to screen for the possible potential anticancer target.
Results: The drug was found to decrease the expression levels of the cytokine IL-1 along with the HuR proteins. This was also found to show a positive inhibition on the expression of HIF1α. The study was also confirmed using the molecular docking studies which are in accordance to the wet lab studies.
Conclusion: The present study confirmed that the two receptors might act as potential anticancer drug targets which might aid in designing more novel drugs.
2. Gao F, Li H, Chen YD, Yu XN, Wang R, Chen XL, et al. Upregulation of PTEN involved in scorpion venom-induced apoptosis in a lymphoma cell line. Leuk Lymphoma 2009;50:633-41.
3. Varinska L, Mirossay L, Mojzisova G, Mojzis J. Antiangogenic effect of selected phytochemicals. Pharmazie 2010;65:57-63.
4. Masuda S, Araki S, Yamamoto T, Kaji K, Hayashi H. Purification of a vascular apoptosis-inducing factor from hemorrhagic snake venom. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1997;235:59-63.
5. Farokhzad OC, Langer R. Nanomedicine: Developing smarter therapeutic and diagnostic modalities. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2006;58:1456-9.
6. Liu Y, Miyoshi H, Nakamura M. Nanomedicine for drug delivery and imaging: A promising avenue for cancer therapy and diagnosis using targeted functional nanoparticles. Int J Cancer 2007;120:2527-37.
7. Kawashima Y, Handa T, Kasai A, Takenaka H, Lin SY, Ando Y, et al. Novel method for the preparation of controlled-release theophylline granules coated with a polyelectrolyte complex of sodium polyphosphate-chitosan. J Pharm Sci 1985;74:264-8.
8. Freshney RI. Culture of Animal Cells: A manual of Basic Technique and Specialized Applications. 6th ed. New York: Wiley-Liss; 2010. p. 187-206.
9. Hassan SB, Gali-Muhtasib H, Göransson H, Larsson R. Alpha terpineol: A potential anticancer agent which acts through suppressing NF-kappaB signalling. Anticancer Res 2010;30:1911-9.
10. Ribble D, Goldstein NB, Norris DA, Shellman YG. A simple technique for quantifying apoptosis in 96-well plates. BMC Biotechnol 2005;5:1 7.
11. Amatori S, Mazzoni L, Alvarez-Suarez JM, Giampieri F, Gasparrini M, Forbes-Hernandez TY, et al. Polyphenol-rich strawberry extract (PRSE) shows in vitro and in vivo biological activity against invasive breast cancer cells. Sci Rep 2016;6:30917.
12. Amatori S, Ballarini M, Faversani A, Belloni E, Fusar F, Bosari S, et al. PAT-chIP coupled with laser microdissection allows the study of chromatin in selected cell populations from paraffin-embedded patient samples. Epigenetics Chromatin 2014;7:18.
13. Guerzoni C, Amatori S, Giorgi L, Manara MC, Landuzzi L, Lollini PL, et al. An aza-macrocycle containing maltolic side-arms (maltonis) as potential drug against human pediatric sarcomas. BMC Cancer 2014;14:137.
14. Rippo MR, Villanova F, Tomassoni Ardori F, Graciotti L, Amatori S, Manzotti S, et al. Dexamethasone affects fas- and serum deprivation-induced cell death of human osteoblastic cells through survivin regulation. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2010;23:1153-65.
15. Sood S, Srinivasan R. Alterations in gene promoter methylation and transcript expression induced by cisplatin in comparison to 5-azacytidine in heLa and siHa cervical cancer cell lines. Mol Cell Biochem 2015;404:181-91.
16. Sharma S, Kumar V. In vitro cytotoxicity effect on mcf-7 cell line of co-encapsulated artesunate and curcumin liposome. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:123-8.
17. Maldonado V, Meléndez-Zajgla J, Ortega A. Modulation of NF kappa B, and bcl-2 in apoptosis induced by cisplatin in heLa cells. Mutat Res 1997;381:67-75.
18. Sudhakar M. Chandrashekhar GR, Uppalapati S, Giridhar M, Nishitha A. Effect of wheat grass extracts (Triticum aestivum) on wound healing related proteins (syndecan4 and tissue transglutaminase). World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;5:1040-54.
19. Golsteyn RM. Cdk1 and cdk2 complexes (cyclin dependent kinases) in apoptosis: A role beyond the cell cycle. Cancer Lett 2005;217:129-38.
20. Kaur M, Mandair R, Agarwal R, Agarwal C. Grape seed extract induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human colon carcinoma cells. Nutr Cancer 2008;60 Suppl 1:2-11.
21. Danpure CJ. Lactate dehydrogenase and cell injury. Cell Biochem Funct 1984;2:144-8.
22. Sawant DV, Desai MM, Patil RS, Pawar SH. Evolution of nanotech assisted pcr diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Aand its assessment with conventional methods. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:133-7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.