DESIGN, FORMULATION, AND EVALUATION OF SOLID DISPERSION TABLETS OF POORLY WATER-SOLUBLE ANTIDIABETIC DRUG USING NATURAL POLYMER
Objective: The objective of the present study was to formulate the solid dispersion (SD) of poorly water-soluble drug glimepiride and the development of the tablets of prepared SD of glimepiride using natural and synthetic polymers.
Methods: The SD of glimepiride was to prepare using fusion method. The tablets were prepared by wet granulation method using synthetic polymer such as HPMC and natural polymer gellan gum.
Results: The granules were evaluated by determining the angle of repose (23.70±0.761 to 29.21±0.127º), bulk density, tapped density, Hausner ratio, and Carr’s index. It shows satisfactory results. The tablets were subjected to the measurement of hardness (3.9±0.08 to 4.6±0.04kg/cm2), friability (0.22±0.004 to 0.40±0.005%), and in vitro release studied. Release study of pure drug was performed. In the release study, SD of glimepiride tablets with gellan gum gives considerably good result compared to HPMC.
Conclusion: From the results, it was shown that dissolution rate of pure glimepiride was very slow. When the glimepiride was prepared in SD form, then the dissolution rate was very fast. The tablets of the SD of glimepiride were prepared and release study was shown depending on various quantities of HPMC and gellan gum used. Therefore, the long term stability study is required for future development of this formulation.
2. Alberti KG, Zimmet PZ. Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Part 1: Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus provisional report of a WHO consultation. Diabet Med 1998;15:539-53.
3. McCall AL. Clinical review of glimepiride. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2001;2:699-713.
4. Ammar HO, Salama HA, Ghorab M, Mahmoud AA. Formulation and biological evaluation of glimepiride-cyclodextrin-polymer systems. Int J Pharm 2006;309:129-38.
5. Emara LH, Badr RM, Abd Elbary A. Improving the dissolution and bioavailability of nifedipine using solid dispersions and solubilizers. Drug Develop Ind Pharm 2002;28:795-807.
6. Sunitha N. Formulation and evaluation of aceclofenac solid dispersions for dissolution rate enhancement. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2010;2:146 50.
7. Sridhar I, Doshi A, Joshi B, Wankhede V, Doshi J. Solid dispersions: An approach to enhance the solubility of poorly water-soluble drugs. J Sci Innov Res 2013;2:685-94.
8. Serajuddin AT. Solid dispersion of poorly water-soluble drugs: Early promises, subsequent problems, and recent breakthroughs. J Pharm Sci 1999;88:1058-66.
9. Shamsuddin, Fazil M, Ansari SH, Ali J. Development and evaluation of solid dispersion of spironolactone using fusion method. Int J Pharm Investig 2016;6:63-8.
10. Iqbal Z, Babar A, Ashraf MH. Controlled-release naproxen using micronized ethyl cellulose by wet-granulation and solid-dispersion method. Drug Develop Ind Pharm 2002;28:129-34.
11. Gupta A, Kataria MK, Bilandi A. Formulation and evaluation of solid dispersion of glipizide for solubility and dissolution rate enhancement. Int J Pharm Drug Anal 2014;2:74-87.
12. Das S, Naskar S. A Practical Book on Physical Pharmaceutics-II. 1st ed. Pune, India: Everest Publishing House; 2019.
13. Das S, Samanta A, Sekhar DH. Formulation, in-vitro release kinetics and stability interpretation of sustained release tablets of metformin hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:418-22.
14. Nag D, Das S, Samanta A. Formulation and evaluation of immediate release tablets of isoniazid and pyridoxine hydrochloride. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;4:1726-40.
15. Das AS, Das S, Samanta A. Formulation and evaluation of controlled release floating capsules of ciprofloxacin HCL. Der Pharm Sin 2013;4:72-5.
16. Venkatarao M, Vidyadhara S, Sandeep D. Formulation and evaluation of telmisartan solid dispersions using Entada scandens seed starch and poloxamer-188 as telmisartan. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:474-81.
17. Yadav S, Veena M, Srinivas M. Solid dispersion technique to enhance the solubility and dissolution rate of aripiprazole by fusion method. Int J Pharm Pharmaceutical Sci 2016;8:187-92.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.