FORMULATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF FLOATING BEADS OF ANTIBIOTIC BY EMULSION GELATION TECHNIQUE
Objective: The study aims at formulation and characterization of floating hydrogel beads of cefdinir for improving its bioavailability.
Methods: Cefdinir is broad-spectrum, oral, third-generation cephalosporin antimicrobial agent active against Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. The floating hydrogel beads of cefdinir were formulated with polymers such as sodium alginate and sodium carboxymethyl cellulose by emulsion gelation technique using olive oil/castor oil. The beads were evaluated for surface morphology, bead size, entrapment efficiency, floating characteristics, in vitro swelling, in vitro drug release, and stability studies.
Results: On the basis of evaluation, all the beads show good swelling up to 12 h in 0.1 N hydrochloric acid. The swelling was followed by values in order of vegetable oil > mineral oil in case of emulsion gelation method. Scanning electron microscopy study shows that beads were spherical in shape. Comparing all the formulations, formulation FB12 was considered as optimized formulation which shows % yield 94.06±0.11, % floating 87.28±0.90, in vitro drug release 94.68, and also stable in stability studies.
Conclusion: From the findings, it may be concluded that cefdinir-loaded floating beads were successfully prepared and proved to be useful for the better bioavailability and patient compliance for enhanced antimicrobial activity.
2. Garg R, Gupta GD. Progress in controlled gastroretentive delivery systems. Trop J Pharm Res 2008;7:1055-66.
3. Kare P, Jain D, Jain V, Singh R. Floating drug delivery systems: An overview. J Pharm Res 2010;3:1274-9.
4. Pawar VK, Kansal S, Garg G, Awasthi R, Singodia D, Kulkarni GT. Gastroretentive dosage forms: A review with special emphasis on floating drug delivery systems. Drug Deliv 2011;18:97-10.
5. Guru PR, Nayak AK, Sahu RK. Oil-entrapped sterculia gum–alginate buoyant systems of aceclofenac: Development and in vitro evaluation. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2013;104:268-75.
6. Siraj S, Molvi K. Current trends in gastroretentive floating bioadhesive drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Pharm Res 2016;6:356-67.
7. Nimase PK, Vidyasagar G. Preparation and evaluation of floating calsium alginate beads of clarithromycin. Pharm Sin 2010;1:29-35.
8. Biswas N, Sahoo RK. Tapioca starch blended alginate mucoadhesive-floating beads for intragastric delivery of metoprolol tartrate. Int J Biol Macromol 2016;83:61-70.
9. Chandra S, Sowndarya K, Kumar SH, Suresh R, Sangeetha S, Tamilselvan A. Formulation and evaluation studies of floating drug delivery system containing cefdinir antibiotic. Int J Adv Pharm Sci 2018;1:130-76.
10. Ghareeb MM, Issa AA, Hussein AA. Preparation and characterization of cinnarizine floating oil entrapped calcium alginate beads. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012;3:501-8.
11. Chandra S, Kilimozhi D. Formulation and in-vitro evaluation studies on floating beads of cefaclor by emulsion gelation technique. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2014;4:3365-77.
12. Siraj S, Saad S, Khan GJ, Sharukh P. Formulation and characterization of mucoadhesive microsphere of gliclazide HCL. J Drug Deliv Ther 2018;8:117-25.
13. Pasparakis G, Bouropolous N. Swelling studies and in-vitro release of verapamil from calcium alginate and alginate chitosan beads. Int J Pharm 2002;3:34-42.
14. Varshosaz J, Tabbakhian M, Zahrooni M. Development and characterization of floating microballoons for oral delivery of cinnarizine by a factorial design. J Microencapsul 2007;24:253-62.
15. Shweta P. Formulation and evaluation of garlic powder loaded floating matrix tablet. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:17-22.
16. Hari BN, Brahma RA, Samyuktha RB. Floating drug delivery of nevirapine as a gastroretentive system. J Young Pharm 2010;2:350-5.
17. Singhal P, Kumar K, Pandey M, Saraf SA. Evaluation of acyclovir loaded oil entrapped calcium alginate beads prepared by ionotropic gelation method. Int J Chem Tech Res 2010;2:2076-85.
18. Sriamornsak P, Sungthongjeen S, Puttipipatkhachorn S. Use of pectin as a carrier for intragastric floating drug delivery: Carbonate salt contained beads. Carbohydr Polym 2007;67:436-45.
19. Yellanki SK, Nerella NK. Stomach-specific drug delivery of riboflavin using floating alginate beads. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:160-3.
20. Chaturvedi S, Sharma PK, Visht S, Tyagi S, Comparison of emulsification and ionic gelation method of preparation of mucoadhesive microsphere. Pharm Innov 2012;1:1-10.
21. Piyakulawat P, Praphairaksit N, Chantarasiri N, Muangsin N. Preparation and evaluation of chitosan/carrageenan beads for controlled release of sodium diclofenac. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech 2007;8:E1-11.
22. Bhattarai RS, Dhandapani NV, Shreshtha A. Drug delivery using alginate and chitosan bead: An overview. Chron Young Sci 2011;2:192-96.
23. Singhal P, Tomar A, Goel K, Pandey M, Saraf SA. Preparation and evaluation of stomach-specific ion tropically emulsion gelled alginate beads of tinidazole. Pharm Lett 2010;2:272-82.
24. Hemant J, Madhuri T. Formulation development and evaluation of gastro-retentive dosage form of atazanavir sulphate. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:60-70.a
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.