EVALUATION OF GRAPE SEED EXTRACT (VITIS VINIFERA) AS A CROSSLINKER ON THE STABILITY OF DENTINE COLLAGEN IN TOTAL-ETCH ADHESIVE SYSTEMS: AN IN VITRO STUDY
Objective: The bond strength between resin and dentine is determined by the integrity of collagen, dentine, and resin monomers. The susceptibility of the dentine bond results from the instability of the bonding structure that adheres to the bonding material. This can be achieved using collagen cross-linker, synthetically and naturally in dentine substrates which are effective in protecting collagen fibrils from degradation, as proanthrocyanidin. The aim of this study was to see the effect of grape seed extract as a crosslinker on the stability of dentine collagen and see the differences between groups.
Methods: This study used 27 fresh premolars or third molars which were divided into three Groups, namely Group I giving grape seed extract 6.5%, Group II giving chlorhexidine 2%, and Group III only giving bonding ingredients. Samples were analyzed using scanning electron microscopy with ×1000 magnification.
Results: Data were analyzed using kappa statistic, Kruskal–Wallis, and Mann–Whitney. The result of the study significant differences between treatment groups (p<0.05) and the 2% chlorhexidine group showed the highest value compared to the grape seed extract group and without treatment.
Conclusion: Grape seed extract can be used as an alternative to chlorhexidine as a crosslinker to maintain bone strength of the composite restoration.
2. Basri MH, Erlita I, Nahzi MY. Surface roughness of nanofilled composite resin after submersion in river and tap water. J Kedokt Gigi 2017;2:101-6.
3. Srinivasulu S, Vidhya S, Sujatha M, Mahalaxmi S. Shear bond strength of composite to deep dentin after treatment with two different collagen crosslinking agents at varying time intervals. J Oper Dent 2012;37:485 91.
4. Puspitasari D. Difference of composite resin bond strength with one step and two steps self etch system. Dentino J Kedokt Gigi 2014;2:89- 94.
5. Castellan CS, Antunes A, Pereira NR. Effect of dentin biomodification using naturally derived collagen cross-linker: One-year bond strength study. Int J Dent 2013;2013:1-5.
6. Generosa DM, Suprastiwi E, Asrianti D. Effect of grape seed extract againts biodegradation of composite resin-dentin shear bond strength. J Phys 2017;884:1-6.
7. Heymann HO, Swift E, Ritter A. Sturdevant’s Art and Science of Operative Dentistry. 6th ed. Chicago: Mosby; 2011. p. 114-28.
8. Hass V, Martinez IV, Gutierrez MF, Moreira CG, Gotti VB, Feitosa P, et al. Collagen cross-linker on dentin bonding: Stability of the adhesive interfaces, degree of conversion of the adhesif, cytotoxicity and in situ MMP inhibition. Dent Mater 2016;32:732-41.
9. Green B, Yao X, Ganguly A. Grape seed proanthocyanidins increase collagen biodegradation resistance in the dentin/adhesive interface when included in an adhesive. J Dent 2010;38:908-15.
10. Dennis D, Abidin T. Degradation of resin-dentin bonds and current methods of its prevention. Indian J Restor Dent 2013;1:1-7.
11. Mangundjaja S, Nisa RK, Lasaryna S, Mutya FE. Engaruh Obat Kumur Khlorheksidin Terhadap Populasi Kuman Streptococcus mutans di Dalam air Liur. Indonesia, Denpasar: Perhimpunan Mikrobiologi; 2000. p. 1-9.
12. Srinivasulu S, Vidhya S, Sujatha M, Mahalaxmi S. Effect of collagen cross-linker on the shear bond strength of a self-etch adhesive system to deep dentin. J Conserv Dent 2013;16:135-8.
13. Aguiar TR, Vidal CM, Phansalkar RS, Todorova I, Napolitano JG, McAlpine JB, et al. Dentin biomodification potential depends on polypheol source. J Dent Res 2014;4:417-22.
14. Al-Ammar A, Drummond JL, Bedran-Russo AK. The use of collagen cross-linking agent to enhance dentin bond strength. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2009;91:419-24.
15. Ahmed HH, Salem AM, Mohamed MR, Shahat AA, Khalil WK, Mohamed SH. Experimental evidences for the promising therapeutic role of Vitis vinifera seed extract against nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:417-24.
16. Sayed DA, Fahmy SR, Soliman AM, Hussein NS. Antiulcerogenic efficacy of ethanolic extract of Vitis vinifera leaves in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:163-72.
17. Epasinghe DJ, Yiu CK, Burrow MF, Tay FR, King NM. Effect of proanthocyanidin incorporation into dental adhesive resin on resin-dentine bond strength. J Dent 2012;40:173-80.
18. Khan SA, Khalid S, Rafique A, Khalid H. Effect of grape seed extract on shear bond strength at resin-dentin interface. Pak Oral Dent J 2017;37:152-7.
19. Balalaie A, Rezvani MB, Basir MM. Dual function of proanthocynidins as both MMP inhibitor and crosslinker in dentin biomodification: A literature review. Dent Mater J 2018;37:173-82.
20. Nagpal R, Singh P, Singh S, Tyagi SP. Proanthocyanidin: A natural dentin biomodifier in adhesive dentistry. J Res Dent 2016;4:1-6.
21. Sabatini C, Pashley DH. Mechanisms regulating the degradation of dentin matrices by endogenous dentin proteases and their role in dental adhesion. A review. J Dent 2015;27:203-14.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.