INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON HARMONIZATION RECOMMENDED FORCED DEGRADATION STUDIES AND DEVELOPMENT OF A NEW VALIDATED ISOCRATIC REVERSE-PHASE ULTRA HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY METHOD FOR THE SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF TELMISARTAN AND AMLODIPINE I
Objective: The objective of this research work is to develop a simple, rapid, cost-effective, accurate, precise, and robust stability-indicating reversephase ultra-high performance liquid chromatography method for the quantitative estimation of telmisartan (TEL) and amlodipine (AMD) in combined tablet dosage form.
Methods: The method uses Poroshell 120EC-C18 column (4.6 mm × 50 mm, 2.7 μm) with an optimized mobile phase containing acetonitrile:50 mM ammonium acetate buffer in the ratio (45:55 v/v), pH adjusted to 4.5 with acetic acid. The flow rate was 0.5 ml/min, column temperature at 25°C and detection was monitored by a PDA detector at a wavelength of 245 nm. International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) recommended stress degradation studies were performed on TEL, AMD standard drugs, and tablet formulations; further stressed samples were analyzed by the proposed method.
Results: Major degradation of TEL and AMD was observed under acidic, alkali, hydrolytic and oxidation conditions. The described method was validated as per the ICH guideline and validation parameters such as system suitability, linearity, accuracy, precision, specificity, and robustness results were within acceptable limits.
Conclusion: The method was found to be suitable and accurate for quantitative estimation and stability study of title drugs in pharmaceutical preparations.
p. 806-7, 2186-7.
2. Available from: http://www.drugbank.com. [Last accessed on 2019 Apr 30].
3. Beale JM Jr., Block JH. Wilson and Gisvold’s Textbook of Organic Medicinal and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. 12th ed. New Delhi: Wolters Kluwer (India) Pvt., Ltd.; 2011. p. 613-4, 623-6.
4. Billecke SS, Marcovitz PA. Long-term safety and efficacy of telmisartan/amlodipine single pill combination in the treatment of hypertension. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2013;9:95-104.
5. White WB, Littlejohn TW, Majul CR, Oigman W, Olvera R, Seeber M,et al. Effects of telmisartan and amlodipine in combination on ambulatory blood pressure in stages 1-2 hypertension. Blood Press Monit 2010;15:205-12.
6. Vadillo AC, González MA, Alegre EG, Rodríguez A, García JG. Effect of a combination of telmisartan and amlodipine in hypertensive dogs.
Vet Rec Case Rep 2018;9:1-6.
7. Fogari R, Derosa G, Zoppi A, Preti P, Lazzari P, Destro M, et al.Effect of telmisartan-amlodipine combination at different doses onurinary albumin excretion in hypertensive diabetic patients withmicroalbuminuria. Am J Hypertens 2007;20:417-22.
8. Ohishi M, Kawai T, Hayashi N, Kitano S, Katsuya T, Nagano M, et al. Effect of tablets with a combination of telmisartan and amlodipineon patients with hypertension: The cotalo study. Hypertens Res2013;36:620-6.
9. International Conference on Harmonisation (ICH) Guidelines. Q1A (R2) for Stability Testing of New Drug Substances and Products.Geneva, Switzerland: International Conference on Harmonization; 2003.
10. Pawar HA, Yadav A. Development and application of RP-HPLCmethod for dissolution study of oral formulations containing amlodipine besylate. Indian J Chem Technol 2016;23:210-5.
11. Sinha SK, Shrivastava PK, Shrivastava SK. Development and validationof a HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of amlodipin andtelmisartan in pharmaceutical dosage form. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:S312-5.
12. Panchal JG, Patel RV, Mistry BR, Menon SK. Development andvalidation of reversed-phase LC method for simultaneous determination telmisartan, amlodipine and their degradation products in fixed dose combination tablets. Eurasian J Anal Chem 2012;7:28-42.
13. Rajitha S, Biswal VB, Reddy DN, Ramesh B. Method development and validation of telmisartan and amlodipine besylate by RP-HPLC in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci 2013;3:365-9.
14. Kumar GV, Rajendraprasad Y. Development and validation of reversephase HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of telmisartan and amlodipine in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2010;2:128-31.
15. Madhukar A, Kannappan N, Kumar CB. Analytical method development and validation for the determination of hydrochlorothiazide, amlodipine besylate and telmisartan hydrochloride in multicomponent tablet dosage form and in biorelevant media (fassif) byRP-HPLC techniques. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:218-25.
16. Jain PS, Patel MK, Bari SB, Surana SJ. Development and validation of HPTLC method for simultaneous determination of amlodipine besylate and metoprolol succinate in bulk and tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2012;74:152-6.
17. Chabukswar AR, Jagdale SC, Kumbhar SV, Kadam VJ, Patil VD, Kuchekar BS, et al. Simultaneous HPTLC estimation of telmisartan and amlodipine besylate in tablet dosage form. Arch Appl Sci Res
18. Vekariya NR, Patel MB, Patel GF, Dholakiya RB. Development and validation of TLC-densitometry method for simultaneous determination of telmisartan and amlodipine besylate in bulk and tablets. J Young Pharm 2009;1:259-63.
19. Wal P, Tiwari R, Wal A, Tiwari G. Versatile RP-HPLC method development for quantitative estimation of telmisartan and ramipril in animal plasma. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:51-8.
20. Kondawar MS, Kamble KG, Raut KS, Maharshi KH. UV spectrophotometric estimation of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan in bulk drug and dosage form by multi wavelength analysis. Int JChemTech Res 2011;3:1274-8.
21. Thomas AB, Jagdale SN, Dighe SB, Nanda RK. Simultaneousspectrophotometric estimation of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan in tablet dosage form. Int J ChemTech Res 2010;2:1334-41.
22. Pawar PY, Raskar MA, Kalure SU, Kulkarni RB. Simultaneousspectrophotometric estimation of amlodipine besylate and telmisartanintablet dosage form. Pharm Chem 2012;4:725-30.
23. Shakya P, Jain PK, Gajbhiye A, Shrivastava SP. Simultaneous estimationof telmisartan and hydrochlorothiazide by derivative spectroscopy. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:386-8.
24. Santosh KM, Rao VJ. Development and validation of a stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of telmisartan and amlodipine in combined dosageform. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:32-5.
25. Shinde P, Patil PM. Stability indicating spectrophotometric method of amlodipine and telmisartan in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2014;26:19-24.
26. Shitole S, Gurjar M, Shah M, Pimple S, Bal G, Patel R, et al. Development and validation of a stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of related substances of s(-)amlodipine and telmisartan in fixed dose combination tablet dosage form. Chromatogr Res Int 2014;2014:1-9.
27. Kranthi M, Srinivas A. Analytical method development and validation and force degradation studies for simultaneous estimation of amlodipine besylate and telmisartan in tabletdosage form by using RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Phytopharmacol Res 2014;4:2-7.
28. Iram F, Iram H, Iqbal A, Husain A. Forced degradation studies. J Anal Pharm Res 2016;3:1-5.
29. Venkataraman S, Merugu M. Forced degradation studies: Regulatory guidance, characterization of drugs, and their degradation products-a review. Drug Invent Today 2018;10:137-46.
30. Blessy M, Patel RD, Prajapati PN, Agrawal YK. Development of forced degradation and stability indicating studies of drugs-a review. J Pharm Anal 2014;4:159-65.
31. Bakshi M, Singh S. Development of validated stability-indicating assay methods-critical review. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2002;28:1011-40.
32. ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline. Validation of AnalyticalProcedure: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1). Geneva: International Conference on Harmonization; 2005.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.