KNOWLEDGE, ATTITUDE, AND BEHAVIOR ABOUT ABORTION AMONG ADULT WOMEN AT PEUNAYONG DISTRICT, BANDA ACEH, INDONESIA
Objective: Every year approximately 13% (78,000) of maternal death caused by unsafe abortion. Indonesia Family Planning Association predicts 2.5 million abortions per year and 1.5 million of them committed by teenagers. Adolescent reproductive health problems are more alarming year by year. Sexual behavior tends to be permissive and bold with limited knowledge of reproductive health has increased the risk of abortion. This study is to assess the knowledge, attitudes, and behavior regarding abortion in young adults.
Methods: This is a descriptive cross-sectional study. The subjects were young women aged 18–24 years old who were fulfilled by inclusion and exclusion criteria. The knowledge, attitudes, and behavior were assessed using questionnaire. The results were analyzed using statistical program.
Results: The total subjects recruited in this study were 55 subjects. Twenty-eight (50.9%) of subjects has a good knowledge and 27 (49.1%) of subjects had a moderate knowledge. Twenty-nine (52.7%) subjects had moderate attitudes and 36.4% of subjects had good attitude. Thirty (54.5%) of subjects had a good behavior regarding abortion.
Conclusion: Most of the subjects had good level of knowledge and moderate attitude toward abortion.
2. Organization Health Organization. Safe Abortion: Technical and Policy Guidance for Health Systems. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2003.
3. Wulf D. Sharing Responsibility: Women Society and Abortion Worldwide. New York: The Institute; 1999.
4. Astuti J. Pengaruh Karakteristik Siswa Dan Sumber Informasi Terhadap Kecenderungan Melakukan Hubungan Seksual Pranikah Pada Siswa Sma Negeri Di Banda Aceh Tahun. 2008. Theses; 2009.
5. Muadz M. Kurikulum and Modul Peelatihan Pengelolahan Pusat Informasi dan Konseling Kesehatan Reproduksi Remaja (PIK-KRR). Jakarta: Direktorat Remaja dan Perlindungan Hak-hak Reproduksi; 2008.
6. Silalahi E. Karakteristik ibu pasangan usia subur yang mengalami abortus di rumah sakit santa elisabeth medan tahun 2010-2013. Gizi Kesehatan Reprod Epidemiol 2015;1:27-9.
7. Zulfawati R, Damayanti FN, Purwanti IA. Studi kualitatif tentang perilaku pacaran siswi sma pasca tindakan aborsi di kecamatan belik. J Kebidanan 2013;2:93-7.
8. Baykan Z, Çetinkaya F, Naçar M, Poyrazo?lu S. The perspective of women regarding induced abortion in an Islamic country (Turkey): A descriptive study. J Womens Health Care 2015;4:255.
9. Hedayat KM, Shooshtarizadeh P, Raza M. Therapeutic abortion in Islam: Contemporary views of muslim shiite scholars and effect of recent Iranian legislation. J Med Ethics 2006;32:652-7.
10. Raghavan C, Levine JP. Self-determination and Women’s Rights in Muslim Societies. Massachusetts: UPNE; 2012.
11. Kim K, Park H. Demographic factors associated with oral contraceptive use in Korean women. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:299-301.
12. Missiriya S, Priya M, Pavithra G, Priyanka K, Sandhiya R. Assess the knowledge and practice of reproductive aged tribal women on family welfare methods. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:121-4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.