TRIMETHOPRIM DETERMINATION WITH DRUG-SELECTIVE ELECTRODES
Developed ion-selective electrode has been industrialized for the determination of trimethoprim (TMP) in pure form and pharmaceutical preparations. The selective electrode was made from TMP with pairing agent methyl orange presence of o-nitrophenyl octyl ether (o-NPOE) and dibutyl phthalate as the plasticizing solvent mediator. Electrode 1 showed a Nernstian reply with a mean calibration graphs slope of 57.31 mv.decade−1, over the linear concentration range of 6.0×10−6–1.0×10−2 M of the drug, with detection limits 3.0×10−6 M. The electrode was effective at pH range between 2.0 and 5.5 for concentration of 10−2 M, 1.5–4.5 for concentration of 10−2 M, and 3.0–4.5 for concentration of 10−4 M of TMP solutions. The electrode 2 gave a non- Nernstian slope equal to 41.20 mv.decade−1. The influence of interfering species such as inorganic cations was studied. Electrode 1 showed an effective response for a period of 27 days, without important variation in parameters of electrode. The suggested electrode was intended for the determination of TMP in pharmaceutical design and pure formula.
2. Medina R, Miranda M, Hurtado M, Ramírez-Domínguez AM, Reyes O, Ruiz-Segura JC. In vitro, evaluation of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole from fixed-dose combination generic drugs using spectrophotometry: Comparison of flow-through cell and USP paddle methods. Trop J Pharm Res 2015;14:2061-9.
3. Pokala RV, Kumari K, Bollikola HB. UV-spectrophotometry method development and validation of sulfadiazine dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:103-7.
4. Galaca GN, Pwssoa CA, Wohnrath K, Nagata N. Sulfamethoxazole determination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim in pharmaceutical formulations by square wave voltammetry. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:438-42.
5. Stojkovi? G, Stojkovi? ED, Soklevska M, Velev R. Optimization, validation and application of UV-Vis spectrophotometric-colorimetric methods for determination of trimethoprim in different medicinal product. Mac Vet Rev 2016;39:65-76.
6. Zaini E, Sumirtapura YC, Halim A, Fitriani L, Soewandhi SN. Formation and characterization of sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim cocrystal by milling process. J Appl Pharm Sci 2017;7:169-73.
7. Ikpeazu O, Otuokere I, Igwe K. Computational characterization of the binding energy and interactions between trimethoprim and dihydrofolate reductases of Candida albicans, Staphylococcus aureus and Thermotoga maritima. Acta Sci Pharm Sci 2017;1:26-30.
8. Martins GS, Luchiari NC, Lamarca RS, Silva F, Gomes PG. Removal of sulfamethoxazol and trimethoprim using horizontal-flow anaerobic immobilized bioreactor. Sci Chromatogr 2017;9:253-64.
9. Guneysel O, Suman E, Ozturk TC. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxozole resistance and fosfomycin susceptibility rates in uncomp; Icated urinary tract infections: Time to change the antimicrobial preferences. Acta Clin Croat 2016;55:49-57.
10. Attia AM, Abdallah EK, Alzahawy HM. Synthesis and identification of four membered rings heterocyclic compounds derived from trimethoprim. Kirkuk Univ J Sci Stud 2016;11:38-50.
11. Abass AM, Ahmed A. Synthesis and application of trimethoprim selective electrodes. Res J Life Bioinform Pharm Chem Sci 2017;3:146-56.
12. Mansour O, Nashed D, Sakur AA. Determination of clopidogrelbisulphate using drug selective membranes. Res J Pharm Tech 2018;11:2017-21.
13. Abass AM, Al Zubiady EA, Salman HG, Ahmed A. Fabrication of tramadol hydrochloride liquid selective membranes and application it in pharmaceutical samples. Transylvanian Rev 2018;26:8899-906.
14. Carey C. Plasticizer effects in the PVC membrane of the dibasic phosphate selective electrode. Chemosensors 2015;3:284-94.
15. Mustafa GA, Hefnawy MM, Al-Majed A. PVC membrane sensors for ptentiometric determination of acebutolol. Sensors 2007;7:3272-86.
16. Onder A, Topcu C, Coldur F. Construction of a novel highly selective potentiometric perchlorate sensor based on neocuproine-Cu (II) complex formed in situ during the conditioning period. Chemija 2018;29:57-66.
17. Ganjali MR, Emami M, Rezapour M, Shamsipur M, Maddah B, Niasari MS, et al. Novel gadolinium poly(vinyl chloride) membrane sensor based on a new S-N Schiff’s base. Anal Chim Acta 2003;495:51-9.
18. Abass AM. Preparation and application of tetracycline hydrochloride liquid membrane electrodes. J 1Al Nahrain Univ 2018;21:73-80.
19. Abass AM, Ahmed A. Constraction and potientiometric study of ciprofloxacin selective electrodes. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2017;4:425-327.
20. Abass AM. Synthesis new liquid selective electrodes of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride for determination ciprofloxacin in pure form and pharmaceuticals preparation. Baghdad Sci J 2017;14:4.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.