MORPHOLOGICAL ALTERATIONS OF RED BLOOD CELLS CAUSED BY OVERDOSES OF SILDENAFIL
Objective: The objective of this study was to investigate whether the overdose of sildenafil (Viagra) causes red blood cytotoxicity in rats by seeing the morphological alterations.
Methods: Fifteen rats which were randomly divided into four groups of rats were received intraperitoneal injections of sildenafil. The sildenafil was dissolved in sterile saline 45% for three groups except the control group. They were injected for 5 days in three doses as followed (0.3 mg/rat for G1, 0.5 mg/rat for G2, and 1 mg/rat for G3). Blood smears were made to test the alterations in the blood cells after injection.
Results: The result indicated the presence of a relationship between sildenafil overdosing and red blood cell morphology. Mild-to-moderate alterations of hematological morphology were observed. The hematologic morphology variation was observed in size, shape, and distribution of hemoglobin using light microscope and confirmed by the scanned electronic microscope.
Conclusion: Possible hemotoxicity effects of sildenafil overdosing might be existing, which might be proportional to the duration of usage. However, further studies are recommended properly illustrate the effect of usage duration on sildenafil overdosing toxicity on red blood cells.
2. Schultheiss D, Meschi MR, Hagemann J, Truss MC, Stief CG, Jonas U. Congenital and acquired penile deviation treated with the essed plication method. Eur Urol 2000;38:167-71.
3. Müller A, Smith L, Parker M, Mulhall JP. Analysis of the efficacy and safety of sildenafil citrate in the geriatric population. BJU Int 2007;100:117-21.
4. Brown DA, Kyle JA, Ferrill MJ. Assessing the clinical efficacy of sildenafil for the treatment of female sexual dysfunction. Ann Pharmacother 2009;43:1275-85.
5. Spring RM, Ulrich S, Huber LC, Speich R, Maggiorini M, Treder U, et al. Sildenafil for pulmonary hypertension: Dose-dependent improvement in exercise performance. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2008;21:516-21.
6. Wada Y, Kikuchi K, Imamura T. A fatal hypotension by sildenafil in an end-stage renal disease patient with hypertension and abnormal pharmacokinetics of the medicine. Nephrology (Carlton) 2009;14:357-8.
7. Bashir MJ. Histological alterations in the rabbit epididymis induced by sildenafil overdosing. Br J Med Med Res 2014;4:1204-16.
8. Hicklin LA, Ryan C, Wong DK, Hinton AE. Nose-bleeds after sildenafil (Viagra). J R Soc Med 2002;95:402-3.
9. Pagani S, Mirtella D, Mencarelli R, Rodriguez D, Cingolani M. Postmortem distribution of sildenafil in histological material. J Anal Toxicol 2005;29:254-7.
10. Wills BK, Albinson C, Wahl M, Clifton J. Sildenafil citrate ingestion and prolonged priapism and tachycardia in a pediatric patient. Clin Toxicol (Phila) 2007;45:798-800.
11. Maddox PT, Saunders J, Chandrasekhar SS. Sudden hearing loss from PDE-5 inhibitors: A possible cellular stress etiology. Laryngoscope 2009;119:1586-9.
12. Tracqui A, Miras A, Tabib A, Raul JS, Ludes B, Malicier D, et al. Fatal overdosage with sildenafil citrate (Viagra): First report and review of the literature. Hum Exp Toxicol 2002;21:623-9.
13. Jarrar BM. Histological alterations in the testicular tissue induced by sildenafil overdoses. Drug Metab Lett 2011;5:99-103.
14. Kurt M, Bilge SS, Aksoz E, Kukula O, Celik S, Kesim Y, et al. Effect of sildenafil on anxiety in the plus-maze test in mice. Pol J Pharmacol 2004;56:353-7.
15. Mohammad A, Gazi NS, Chowdhury F. Identification of sildenafil citrate as an adulterant in herbal; Products using high performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array detector. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:15-20.
16. Shafiei M, Mahmoudian M, Rostami P, Nemati F. Effect of sildenafil (Viagra) on memory retention of a passive avoidance response in rats. Acta Physiol Hung 2006;93:53-9.
17. Ahmed HA, Nadan A, Mohammed M. Evaluation of chemo preventive response of pentoxiphylline and sildenafil in colorectal carcinoma experimentally induced in rats: Comparative study with 5-fluorouracil. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:217-22.
18. Takasaki A, Tamura H, Miwa I, Taketani T, Shimamura K, Sugino N, et al. Endometrial growth and uterine blood flow: A pilot study for improving endometrial thickness in the patients with a thin endometrium. Fertil Steril 2010;93:1851-8.
19. Guha T, Kohad H, Bhar R. Sildenafil citrate (Viagra) reduces surface roughness of human erythrocytes: Atomic-force-microscopic study. J Microsc Ultrastruct 2016;4:63-8.
20. Zuk A, Targosz-Korecka M, Szymonski M. Effect of selected drugs used in asthma treatment on morphology and elastic properties of red blood cells. Int J Nanomedicine 2011;6:249-57.
21. Girasole M, Pompeo G, Cricenti A, Congiu-Castellano A, Andreola F, Serafino A, et al. Roughness of the plasma membrane as an independent morphological parameter to study RBCs: A quantitative atomic force microscopy investigation. Biochim Biophys Acta 2007;1768:1268-76.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.