ASSOSIATION OF SERUM MAGNESIUM LEVELS WITH HOMEOSTATIC MODEL ASSESSMENT OF INSULIN RESISTANCE IN PATIENTS WITH TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS ON METFORMIN OR PIOGLITAZONE
Background: Magnesium is known to be associated with insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM) resulting in the accelerated progression of the disease causing the risk of complications in type 2 DM. In a hypomagnesemic state, there is a decrease in the phosphorylation of insulin receptor which leads to an increase in insulin resistance.
Methods: The inclusion criteria were the patients of type 2 DM who had already used metformin or pioglitazone with a body mass index of <30 kg/m2. An examination of magnesium nutrient intake on the patients was carried out with a validated food frequency questionnaire of nutrient intake for the past 3 days by a nutritionist. Fasting plasma glucose was analyzed using Roche/Hitachi Cobas C System. Fasting insulin was analyzed using the Elecsys and Cobas E Immunoassay Analyzers. Serum magnesium level was analyzed using Roche/Hitachi Cobas C 311/501 System.
Results: The study involved 41 subjects of patients with type 2 DM. The mean of magnesium nutrient intake was still low with an average of 207.2 ± 52.9 mg/day. The mean value of serum magnesium levels was 2.04 ± 0.19 mg/dl. The mean of homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) was 4.82 ± 5.66. The lower level of the serum magnesium had a significant correlation with HOMA IR.
Conclusion: The nutrient intake containing magnesium is lower than recommendation. There is a significant negative correlation between the magnesium level and HOMA-IR on type 2 DM on metformin or pioglitazone.
2. Gröber U, Schmidt J, Kisters K. Magnesium in prevention and therapy. Nutrients 2015;7:8199-226.
3. Chhabra S, Chhabra S, Ramessur K, Chhabra N. Hypomagnesemia and its Implications in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus a Review Article. Webmed Central Diabetes; 2012. Available from: https://www.webmedcentral. com/wmcpdf/Article_WMC004005.pdf. [Last accessed on 2017 June 14].
4. Günther T. The biochemical function of mg²+ in insulin secretion, insulin signal transduction and insulin resistance. Magnes Res 2010; 23:5-18.
5. Ghose B, Ide S. Hypomagnesemia and Type 2 diabetes mellitus: A review of literature. Austin J Nutr Food Sci 2014;2:1025.
6. Sales CH, Pedrosa LF, Lima JG, Lemos TM, Colli C. Influence of magnesium status and magnesium intake on the blood glucose control in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Clin Nutr 2011;30:359-64.
7. Dasgupta A, Sarma D, Saikia UK. Hypomagnesemia in Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Indian J Endocrinol Metabol 2012;16:1000-3.
8. Gupta NK, Sharma S, Kaushik GG, Gupta B. Association between indexs of insulin sensitivity/resistance and serum magnesium levels in overweight diabetic subjects. Indian J Clin Pract 2014;24:932-7.
9. Sadiq F, Nawaz MR. Hypomagnesemia in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Pak J Medial Sci 2014;8:983-5.
10. Rao P, Shariff MG. Serum magnesium levels in Type 2 diabetic patients with microalbuminuria and normoalbuminuria. Int J Sci Study 2015; 3:11-5.
11. Hans CP, Sialy R, Bansal DD. Magnesium deficiency and diabetes mellitus. Curr Sci 2002;83:1456-63.
12. Gommers LM, Hoenderop JG, Bindels RJ, de Baaij JH. Hypomagnesemia in Type 2 diabetes: A Vicious circle? Diabetes 2016; 65:3-13.
13. Matthews DR, Hosker JP, Rudenski AS, Naylor BA, Treacher DF, Turner RC, et al. Homeostasis model assessment: Insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 1985;28:412-9.
14. Chutia H, Lynrah KG. Association of serum magnesium deficiency with insulin resistance in Type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Lab Physicians 2015; 7:75-8.
15. Infodatin (Pusat Data dan Informasi Kementerian Kesehatan RI). Situasi dan Analisis Diabetes; 2014. Available from: http://www.depkes.go.id/ resources/download/pusdatin/infodatin/infodatin-diabetes.pdf. [Last accessed on 2019 Jan 23].
16. Thevenod F. Pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus Type 2: Roles of obesity, insulin resistance and ?-cell dysfunction. Diabetes 2008;19:1 18.
17. Arafat MA, Salam A, Arafat O. The association of Type 2 diabetes with obesity and other factors: In multinational community. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:257-60.
18. Dietitian of Canada. Food Sources of Magnesium. Canadian Nutrient File; 2016. Available from: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/ fiche-nutri-data/index-eng.php. [Last accessed 2017 June 14].
19. Wälti MK, Zimmermann MB, Spinas GA, Jacob S, Hurrell RF. Dietary magnesium intake in Type 2 diabetes. Eur J Clin Nutr 2002;56:409-14.
20. Schmidt LE, Arfken CL, Heins JM. Evaluation of nutrient intake in subjects with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. J Am Diet Assoc 1994;94:773-4.
21. Tarigan TJ, Marbun MB, Harimurti K. Korelasi kadar magnesium serum dengan albuminuria pada pasien diabetes mellitus tipe 2. eJ Kedokt Indones 2015;3:115-9.
22. Green R, Milner J, Joy EJ, Agrawal S, Dangour AD. Dietary patterns in india: A systematic review. Br J Nutr 2016;116:142-8.
23. Plummer L. 50 Years of Food in India: Changing Eating Habits of a Rapidly Changing Nation of Foodies! In the Better India; 2017. Available From: http://www. Thebetterindia.com/98604/india-eating-a habits-food-50-years-culture. [Last accessed on 2019 Feb 13].
24. Monnier L, Colette C. Contributions of fasting and postprandial glucose to hemoglobin A1c. Endocr Pract 2006;12 Suppl 1:42-6.
25. Monnier L, Colette C, Owens D. Postprandial and basal glucose in Type 2 diabetes: Assessment and respective impacts. Diabetes Technol Ther 2011;13 Suppl 1:S25-32.
26. Ou HY, Cheng JT, Yu EH, Wu TJ. Metformin increases insulin sensitivity and plasma beta-endorphin in human subjects. Horm Metab Res 2006;38:106-11.
27. Rajagopalan S, Dutta P, Hota D, Bhansali A, Srinivasan A, Chakrabarti A. Effect of low dose pioglitazone on glycemic control and insulin resistance in Type 2 diabetes: A randomized, double blind, clinical trial. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2015. Available from: http://www.dx.doi.org/10.1016/j. diabres.2015.05.030. [Last accessed on 2019 Jan 21].
28. Kartono AF, Irawati D, Setiawan AA, Syafutra H, Sumaryada T. The effects of physical exercise on the insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus subjects using the modified minimal model. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017; 9:179-86.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.