THE THE INFLUENCE OF THE EXCIPIENTS ON THE ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EMULGEL BIOPHARMACEUTICAL QUALITY PARAMETERS
Objective: Boswellia serrata dry extract (BSDE) has clinically proved its anti-inflammatory, anti-gout, and analgesic effect. In the course of this study, compositions and technologies of the emulgels, containing dry Boswellia extract, were developed.
Materials and Methods: Rheological characteristics of gels were determined with rotational viscosity method using coaxial rotation viscometer Lamy Rheology RM 200. The stickiness was determined using a lever mechanism which separates two preprocessed glass plates of the same area from each other. Spreadability was determined with a weighted amount of gel placed on a glass plate (10 cm × 10 cm), covered with a cover glass of the same size and a 100 g measuring plane placed on top of it.
Results: The composition containing 20% of turpentine oil was shown to have the highest yield strength, which can positively affect the aggregative stability of the dosage form. The spreadability of all samples lies within the average value of the spreadability of the commercial gels. The stickiness of all samples was determined to be in the range from 3.6 to 4.9 N. The composition containing turpentine oil showed maximum stickiness after application and its minimum decrease by 5 min.
Conclusion: The advantages of the composition including turpentine oil as a solvent for BSDE were experimentally established.
2. Ahmed HH, Mohamed EM, El-Dsoki SM. Evidences for the promising therapeutic potential of Boswellia serrata against alzheimer’s disease: Pre-clinical study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:384-92.
3. Majeed M, Majeed S, Narayanan NK, Nagabhushanam K. A pilot, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to assess the safety and efficacy of a novel Boswellia serrata extract in the management of osteoarthritis of the knee. Phytother Res 2019;33:1246-50.
4. Vaishya R, Agarwal AK, Shah A, Vijay V, Vaish A. Current status of top 10 nutraceuticals used for knee osteoarthritis in India. J Clin Orthop Trauma 2018;9:338-48.
5. Prabhavathi K, Chandra US, Soanker R, Rani PU. A randomized, double blind, placebo controlled, cross over study to evaluate the analgesic activity of boswellia serrata in healthy volunteers using mechanical pain model. Indian J Pharmacol 2014;46:475-9.
6. Anurova MN, Bakhrushina EO, Demina NB, Mironova EV, Bardakov AI. Development of composition and technology of dermatological gel with dry extract of Boswellia serrate. Bull of the Voronezh state university. Series: Chem Bio Pharm 2016;4:127-32.
7. Chen J, Jiang QD, Chai YP, Zhang H, Peng P, Yang XX, et al. Natural terpenes as penetration enhancers for transdermal drug delivery. Molecules 2016;21:1709.
8. Basar S. Phytochemical Investigations on Boswellia species. Comparative Studies on the Essential Oils, Pyrolysates and Boswellic Acids of Boswellia carterii Birdw., Boswellia serrata Roxb., Boswellia frereana Birdw., Boswellia neglecta S. Moore and Boswellia rivae Engl. Dissertation for the Fulfillment of the Requirements for the Degree of Dr. Rer. Nat. by Istanbul (Turkey): University of Hamburg; 2005. p. 230.
9. Yu OI, Vernikovskiy VV, Stepanova EF. Researches on the choice of the basis for external medication forms of collagenase. Mod Probl Sci Educ 2015;2:657.
10. Kumari S, Baghel DS. Pharmaceutical standardization of panchaguna taila (medicated oil) and product development as ointment, gel, cream, and physiowax. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:57-62.
11. Anurova MN, Kovalenko AS, Bakhrushina EO, Krasnuk II. Composition development of a co-formulated labial gel with usage of immunobiological substance. Probl Biol Med Pharm Chem 2017;2:3-6.
12. Garnov IO, Kuchin AV, Loginova TP, Varlamova NG, Boiko ER. The application of the emulsified turpentine baths for the correction of the functional state of the cross-country skiers. Vopr Kurortol Fizioter Lech Fiz Kult 2016;93:26-31.
13. Lin TC, Wang SH, Huang CC, Lai YC, Song TY, Tsai MS, et al. Anti-fatigue, antioxidation, and anti-inflammatory effects of eucalyptus oil aromatherapy in swimming-exercised rats. Chin J Physiol 201514.
14. Malkin AY, Isaev AI. Rheology: Concepts, Methods, Applications. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Ltd.; 2010. p. 560.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.