TO COMPARE THE EFFECT OF CHITOSAN, LIFESTYLE MODIFICATION, AND COMBINATION OF CHITOSAN AND LIFESTYLE MODIFICATION ON BODY MASS INDEX IN OBESE PATIENTS
Objective: The objective of this study was to compare the effect of chitosan, lifestyle modification, and combination of chitosan and lifestyle modification on body mass index (BMI) in obese patients.
Methods: A prospective, randomized, open-label comparative study conducted for the period of 24 weeks. The study population was enrolled in three groups (chitosan 500 mg BD, lifestyle modification, and chitosan 500 mg BD and lifestyle modification). Data were analyzed using “t”-test and ANOVA.
Results: There is a reduction in BMI in all the three groups. However, when we combined chitosan and lifestyle modification, there is pronounced reduction in BMI, which is statistically significant (p<0.0001).
Conclusions: Chitosan and lifestyle modification have more pronounced effect on reduction on BMI as compared to monotherapy alone.
2. Caballero B. The global epidemic of obesity: An overview. Epidemiol Rev 2007;29:1-5.
3. Yadav K, Krishnan A. Changing patterns of diet, physical activity and obesity among urban, rural and slum populations in north India. Obes Rev 2008;9:400-8.
4. Kopelman PG, Caterson ID, Stock MJ, Dietz WH. Clinical Obesity in Adults and Children. Hoboken, New Jersey: Blackwell Publishing; 2005. p. 493.
5. World Health Organization: The Problem of Overweight and Obesity Part I. Vol. 2. Washington, DC: World Health Organization; 2000. p. 6.
6. Flegal KM, Carroll MD, Ogden CL, Johnson CL. Prevalence and trends in obesity among US adults, 1999-2000. JAMA 2002;288:1723-7.
7. Steering Committee. The Asia-Pacific Perspective: Redefining Obesity and its treatment. Melbourne: International Diabetes Institute; 2000.
8. Barness LA, Opitz JM, Gilbert-Barness E. Obesity: Genetic, molecular, and environmental aspects. Am J Med Genet A 2007;143A:3016-34.
9. Astrup A. Dietary composition, substrate balances and body fat in subjects with a predisposition to obesity. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1993;17 Suppl 3:S32-6.
10. Heber D. Herbal preparations for obesity: Are they useful? Prim Care 2003;30:441-63.
11. Eldin MS, Omer AM, Wassel MA, Tamer TM, Elmonem MS, Ibrahim SA, et al. Novel smart pH sensitive chitosan grafted alginate hydrogel microcapsules for oral protein delivery: Evaluation of the swelling behaviour. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:320-6.
12. Ylitalo R, Lehtinen S, Wuolijoki E, Ylitalo P, Lehtimäki T. Cholesterol-lowering properties and safety of chitosan. Arzneimittelforschung 2002;52:1-7.
13. Schiller RN, Barrager E, Schauss AG, Nichols EJ. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study examining the effects of a rapidly soluble chitosan dietary supplement on weight loss and body composition in overweight and mildly obese individuals. J Am Nutraceut Assoc 2001;4:42-9.
14. Pittler MH, Abbot NC, Harkness EF, Ernst E. Randomized, double- blind trial of chitosan for body weight reduction. Eur J Clin Nutr 1999;53:379-81.
15. Giustina A, Ventura P. Weight-reducing regimens in obese subjects: Effects of a new dietary fibre integrator. Acta Toxicol Ther 1995;16:199-214.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.