PROGNOSTIC VALUE OF SEX-DETERMINING REGION Y-BOX 2 (SOX2) IN PROSTATE CANCER
Objectives: The objectives of this study were to evaluate the expression of sex-determining region-Y BOX 2 (SOX2) markers and their association with clinicopathological parameters.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was carried out to involve 90 specimens from patients diagnosed with prostatic cancer (PC) and benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) compared with positive control (human bronchial tissue for SOX2 marker) with each run.
Results: The highest proportion of specimens of PC was graded ≤7 by Gleason grading system (53.3%). There were significant associations (p<0.05) between all this cancer stem cell marker results and prevalence of PC. Positive SOX2 marker result was significantly associated with bad prognostic sign (81.3%, p=0.001). This marker was highly sensitive (100%) specificity (82.4%), with high accuracy (90%).
Conclusion: There was a significant expression of SOX2 in prostate adenocarcinomas. SOX2 can be considered as a key regulator of tumor progression, aggressive behavior, and metastasis. Furthermore, it is a reliable marker for the early diagnosis and the designed chemotherapy of prostate adenocarcinomas.
2. Nithya G, Mani R, Sakthisekaran D. Oral administration of thymoquinone attenuates benzo (a) pyrene induced lung carcinogenesis in male Swiss albino mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:260-3.
3. Heidenreich A, Bellmunt J, Bolla M, Joniau S, Mason M, Matveev V, et al. EAU guidelines on prostate cancer. Part 1: Screening, diagnosis, and treatment of clinically localised disease. Eur Urol 2011;59:61-71.
4. Al-kuraishy H, Al-Gareeb A, Al-Buhadilly A. P53 Gene (NY-CO-13) levels in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: The role of imatinib and nilotinib. Diseases 2018;6:13.
5. Ishii H, Iwatsuki M, Ieta K, Ohta D, Haraguchi N, Mimori K, et al. Cancer stem cells and chemoradiation resistance. Cancer Sci 2008;99:1871-7.
6. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Erectile dysfunction and low sex drive in men with Type 2 DM: The potential role of diabetic pharmacotherapy. J Clin Diagn Res 2016;10:FC21-6.
7. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI, Al-Maiahy TJ. Concept and connotation of oxidative stress in preeclampsia. J Lab Physicians 2018;10:276-82.
8. De Marzo AM, Nelson WG, Meeker AK, Coffey DS. Stem cell features of benign and malignant prostate epithelial cells. J Urol 1998;160:2381-92.
9. Al-kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Eustress and malondialdehyde (MDA): Role of panax ginseng: Randomized placebo controlled study. Iran J Psychiatry 2017;12:194.
10. Tu SM, Lin SH. Prostate cancer stem cells. Clin Genitourin Cancer 2012;10:69-76.
11. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Potential effects of pomegranate on lipid peroxidation and pro-inflammatory changes in daunorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Int J Prev Med 2016;7:85.
12. AL-Kuraishy HM, AL-Gareeb AI, Rasheed HA. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin contribute into attenuation of acute gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:466-8.
13. Rybak AP, Tang D. SOX2 plays a critical role in EGFR-mediated self-renewal of human prostate cancer stem-like cells. Cell Signal 2013;25:2734-42.
14. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI, Waheed HJ, Al-Maiahy TJ. Differential effect of metformin and/or glyburide on apelin serum levels in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus: Concepts and clinical practice. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2018;9:80.
15. Al-Kuraishy HM, Khaleel KJ, Mohammed MA. Significant attenuation and amelioration effects of labetalol in doxorubicin induced cardiotoxicity: An animal model study. Cardiovasc Surg 2015;3:25-9.
16. Al-kuraishy H, Al-Gareeb A, Al-Buhadilly A. Rosuvastatin improves vaspin serum levels in obese patients with acute coronary syndrome. Diseases 2018;6:9.
17. Jia X, Li X, Xu Y. SOX2 promotes tumorigenesis and increases the anti-apoptotic property of human prostate cancer cell. J Mol Cell Biol 2011;3:230-8.
18. Lengerke C, Fehm T, Kurth R, Neubauer H, Scheble V, Müller F, et al. Expression of the embryonic stem cell marker SOX2 in early-stage breast carcinoma. BMC Cancer 2011;11:42.
19. Zhao J, Epstein JI. High-grade foamy gland prostatic adenocarcinoma on biopsy or transurethral resection: A morphologic study of 55 cases. Am J Surg Pathol 2009;33:583-90.
20. Neumann J, Bahr F, Horst D, Kriegl L, Engel J, Mejías-Luque R, et al. SOX2 expression correlates with lymph-node metastases and distant spread in right-sided colon cancer. BMC Cancer 2011;11:518.
21. Kim BW, Cho H, Choi CH, Ylaya K, Chung JY, Kim JH, et al. Clinical significance of OCT4 and SOX2 protein expression in cervical cancer. BMC Cancer 2015;15:1015.
22. Boumahdi S, Driessens G, Lapouge G, Rorive S, Nassar D, Le Mercier M, et al. SOX2 controls tumour initiation and cancer stem-cell functions in squamous-cell carcinoma. Nature 2014;511:246.
23. Kregel S, Kiriluk KJ, Rosen AM. Sox2 is an androgen receptor repressed gene that promotes castration-resistant prostate cancer. PLoS One 2013;8:11.
24. Ahmed SN, Das D, Chakraborty J. Prospective and retrospective animal model used in the pharmacological screening of anti-cancer drug. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:13-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.