HERBAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS USED IN SKIN COSMETICS
Herbal actives for Skin
Human beings are obsessed with looking beautiful. Hence, various beauty products have been in use to look charming and young. Herbal ingredients are popular worldwide for use in cosmetics. The demand for herbal cosmetic is growing in the world market and is an invaluable gift of nature. Herbal skin cosmetics are formulated using different herbal active ingredients, which are further incorporated in cosmetic base to nourish and cure various skin ailments. Herbal cosmetics are natural and are found to be safe to use as compared to chemical-based cosmetics. Herbal formulations have always attracted considerable attention because they are free from all the harmful synthetic chemicals which otherwise may prove to be toxic to the skin. The bioactive ingredients from plants include antioxidants, vitamins, essential oils, tannins, alkaloids, dyes, carbohydrates, and terpenoids, which are used as cosmetics for care of skin, body, and its other parts. The herbal cosmetics which are used on a daily basis, include herbal cream, face wash, lip balm, herbal conditioners, herbal soap, and herbal shampoo. Cosmetics based on herbal ingredients possess desirable physiological activity such as smoothing appearance, healing, enhancing, and conditioning properties. The cosmetic industry is now focusing on this growing segment with an enormous scope of manifold expansion in coming years. Various herbal active ingredients which are particularly used for skincare are being discussed thoroughly in the current review.
2. Joshi B. Herbal Cosmetics: A Safe and Effective Approach. Pharmatutor. Available from: https://www.pharmatutor.org/articles/ herbal-cosmetics-used-for-skin-hair-care. [Last accessed on 2018 Aug ].
3. Kapoor VP. Herbal cosmetics for skin and hair care. Nat Prod Radiance 2005;4:306-14.
4. Gediya SK, Mistry RB, Patel UK, Blessy M, Jain HN. Herbal plants: Used as a cosmetics. J Nat Prod Plant Resour 2011;1:24-32.
5. Edward F. 6 Reasons to Use Organic Makeup. Global Healing Center; 2014. Available from: https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/6-reasons-to-use-organic-makeup. [Last accessed on 2018 Oct ].
6. Bijauliya RK, Alok S, Kumar M, Chanchal DK, Yadav S. A comprehensive review on herbal cosmetics. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8:4930-49.
7. Castanet J, Ortonne JP. Pigmentary changes in aged and photoaged skin. Arch Dermatol 1997;133:1296-9.
8. Chung JH, Hanft VN, Kang S. Aging and photoaging. J Am Acad Dermatol 2003;49:690-7.
9. Rabe JH, Mamelak AJ, McElgunn PJ, Morison WL, Sauder DN. Photoaging: Mechanisms and repair. J Am Acad Dermatol 2006;55:1-9.
10. Chowdhury R. Anti-Ageing Herbs for Beautiful Skin. News Boldsky Limitless Living; 2017.
11. Binic I, Lazarevic V, Ljubenovic M, Mojsa J, Sokolovic D. Skin ageing: Natural weapons and strategies. Evid Based Complement Altern Med 2013;2013:1-10.
12. Shin S, Lee JA, Son D, Park D, Jung E. Anti-skin-aging activity of a standardized extract from Panax ginseng leaves in vitro and in human volunteer. Cosmetics 2017;4:18.
13. Hwang E, Park SY, Yin CS, Kim HT, Kim YM, Yi TH, et al. Antiaging effects of the mixture of Panax ginseng and Crataegus pinnatifida in human dermal fibroblasts and healthy human skin. J Ginseng Res 2017;41:69-77.
14. Cho S, Won CH. Red Ginseng and Its effect on aging skin. FYI Living 2009;12:1252-9.
15. Challoner NI, Chahal SP, Jones RT. Cosmetic proteins for skin care: An investigation into the use of proteins as moisturizing and tightening agents. Cosmet Toiletries 1997;112:51-63.
16. Joshi LS, Pawar HA. Herbal cosmetics and cosmeceuticals: An overview. Nat Prod Chem Res 2015;3:2.
17. Gopi R, Jaleel CA, Sairam R, Lakshmanan GM, Gomathinayagam M, Panneerselvam R. Differential effects of hexaconazole and paclobutrazol on biomass, electrolyte leakage, lipid peroxidation and antioxidant potential of Daucus carota L. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2007;60:180-6.
18. Danielpour P, Layke J. Ginkgo biloba: Ancient Herb with Amazing Anti-Aging Powers. Beverly Hills MD; 2016. Available from: https:// beverlyhillsmd.com/ginkgo-biloba-skincare/ [Last accessed on 2018 Aug].
19. Singh M. The Role of Antioxidants in Dermtological and Cosmetic Formulas. Available from: https://www.happi.com/issues/2013-12/ view_features/the-role-of-antioxidants-in-dermtological-cosmetic-formulas. [Last accessed on 2018 Oct ].
20. Ribeiro A, Estanqueiro M, Oliveira M, Lobo JS. Main benefits and applicability of plant extracts in skin care products. Cosmetics 2015;2:48-65.
21. Freeman BB, Sandhu A, Edirisinghe I. Nutraceuticals Efficacy, Safety and Toxicity. Amsterdam: Academic Press; 2016. p. 489-500.
22. Kora? RR, Khambholja KM. Potential of herbs in skin protection from ultraviolet radiation. Pharmacogn Rev 2011;5:164-73.
23. McDougall A. From fighting cancer to fighting wrinkles: Anthocyanins launched with cosmetic benefits. APAC 2011. Available from: https:// www.cosmeticsdesign-europe.com/Article/2011/10/05/From-fighting-cancer-to-fighting-wrinkles-anthocyanins-launched-with-cosmetic-benefits [Last accessed on 2018 Aug].
24. Zouboulis, C. Retinoids retinol skincare benefits antioxidants and anti-aging l’oreal Paris. Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2001;14:303-15.
25. Saewan N, Jimtaisong A. Photoprotection of natural flavonoids. J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3:129-41.
26. Bird K. Natural Ingredients Protect Against UV. Available from: https:// www.cosmeticsdesign.com/Article/2007/12/20/Natural-ingredients-protect-against-UV. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep ].
27. Kaur AK, Wahi AK, Brijesh K, Bhandari A, Prasad N. Milk thistle (Silybum marianum): A review. Int J Pharm Res Dev 2011;3:1-10.
28. Hung CF, Lin YK, Zhang LW, Chang CH, Fang JY. Topical delivery of silymarin constituents via the skin route. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2010;31:118-26.
29. Marta. Plant Extracts that Provide Sun Protection. Website. Truth in Aging; 2009. Available from: https://www.truthinaging.com/review/ plant-extracts-that-provide-sun-protection. [Last accessed on 2018 Aug].
30. Telang PS. Vitamin C in dermatology. Indian Dermatol 2013;4:143.
31. Akruti. 10 Amazing Benefits of Walnut Oil for Skin, Hair and Health. Ingredients and Uses; 2017. Available from: https://www.stylecraze. com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-walnut-oil-for-skin-hair-and-health/#gref. [Last accessed on 2018 Oct ].
32. Available from: https://www.truthinaging.com. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep ].
33. Fatima A, Alok S, Agarwal P, Singh PP, Verma A. Benefits of herbal extracts in cosmetics: A review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:3746-60.
34. Patterson S. 10 Reasons to Put Tea Tree Oil on Your Skin: Beat Acne, Eczema and More. Natural Living Ideas; 2017. Availablr from: https:// www.naturallivingideas.com/tea-tree-oil-for-skin/. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep].
35. Carosi S. Allantoin Skin Treatment Introduction. The Essence of Mineral Makeup. Available from: https://www.essence-of-mineral-makeup.com/allantoin.html. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep ].
36. Available from: https://www.thedermreview.com/allantoin. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep ].
37. Available from: http://www.compomat.com/cosmetics-grade-ingredients. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep ].
38. Available from: http://www.himalayawellness.com/products/personalcare/ deep-cleansing-apricot-face-fash.htm. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep ].
39. Apricot Kernel Oil A Light and Quick Absorbing Oil-Skin and Hair Care. New Directions Aromatics Blog; 2017. Availablr from: https:// www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/products/all-about-apricot-kernel-carrier-oils.html. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep].
40. Tadimalla RT. Neem: Benefits, Uses, History, and Side Effects. Stylecraze; 2018. Available from: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ articles/325048.php. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep].
41. Neem Cosmetics, Neem Cosmetics Products, Neem Used for Cosmetics, Neem Herbal Cosmetics. Neem Products. Available from: http://www.neem-products.com/neem-cosmetics.html . [Last accessed on 2018 Sep].
42. Idson B. Cucumber. Centerchem; 1993. Available from: https://www. scribd.com/document/359324229/Cucumber-Extract. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep].
43. Szalay B. Cucumbers: Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts. Live Science; 2017. Available from: https://www.livescience.com/51000- cucumber-nutrition.html . [Last accessed on 2018 Oct].
44. Kellogg, K. 30 Coconut Oil Uses for Beauty: Unexpected Hair and Skin Benefits. Allure. Magazine; 2017.
45. Keong L. 15 Surprising Beauty Benefits of Coconut Oil. Magazine. Marie Claire; 2016.
46. Patterson S. 12 Surprising Benefits of Jojoba Oil for Beautiful Skin and Hair. Natural Living Ideas; 2015. Available from: https://www. naturallivingideas.com/jojoba-oil-benefits-for-skin-hair/ [Last accessed on 2018 Oct].
47. Soto M, Falqué E, Domínguez H. Relevance of natural phenolics from grape and derivative products in the formulation of cosmetics. Cosmetics 2015;2:259-76.
48. Benaiges A, Guillen P. Botanical extracts. In: Analysis of Cosmetic Products. Amsterdam: Elsevier B.V.; 2005. p. 345-63. DOI: 10.1016/ B978-044452260-3/50044-9.
49. Beck M, Den Brave K, Flores-Candia JL, Lu Y. Cosmetic Composition for Skin Whitening Comprising Resveratrol. United States Patent Application US 13/884,397. Inventors; DSM IP Assets BV; 2013.
50. Faseb. Curcumin and Skin Health. Natural Products Insider; 2015. Available from: https://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/beauty/ curcumin-and-skin-health. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep ].
51. Sulthana N, Vijaya K. Prevention of peptic ulcers by curcumin in chemically induced osteoarthritis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:29-34.
52. Available from: http://www.turmeric.co.in/about_us.html. [Last accessed on 2018 Sep ].
53. Malik K. 6 Amazing Benefits of Aloe vera for Hair, Skin and Weight- Loss. NDTV Food News; 2018.
54. Paul SU, Dutta SO, Chaudhuri TK, Bhattacharjee SO. Anti-inflammatory and protective properties of Aloe vera leaf crude gel in carrageenan induced acute inflammatory rat models. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:368-71.
55. Biswas R, Mukherjee PK, Kar A, Bahadur S, Harwansh RK, Biswas S, et al. Evaluation of ubtan a traditional Indian skin care formulation. J Ethnopharmacol 2016;192:283-91.
56. Napagoda MT, Malkanthi BM, Abayawardana SA, Qader MM, Jayasinghe L. Photoprotective potential in some medicinal plants used to treat skin diseases in Sri Lanka. BMC Complement Altern Med 2016;16:479.
57. Available from: http://www.himalayawellness.com/products/ personalcare/fairness-kesar-face-wash.html.
58. Available from: http://www.ayurherbals.com/facecare.html.
59. Available from: https://www.beautifulhameshablog.com/patanjali-lemon-honey-face-wash-review. [Last accessed on 2018 Oct ].
60. Available from: http://www.himalayawellness.com/products/personalcare/ purifying-neem-scrub.html. [Last accessed on 2018 Oct ].
61. Available from: https://www.beautifulhameshablog.com/patanjali-aloe-vera-moisturizing-cream-review. [Last accessed on 2018 Nov ].
62. Available from: http://www.himalayawellness.com/products/personalcare/ nourishing-skin-cream.html. [Last accessed on 2018 Nov ].
63. Available from: http://www.himalayawellness.com/products/personalcare/ purifying-neem-pack.html. [Last accessed on 2018 Nov ].
64. Ramakrishna S, Sitaramam BS, Diwan PV, Raghavan KV, Herbal Formulation Useful for Treatment of Skin Disorders. United States Patent US 6,383,495. Inventors; Council of Scientific, Industrial Research CSIR; 2002.
65. Surianarayanan R, Manral R, Babu UV, Saxena E, Mahendra C. Herbal Personal Care Formulations and Method of Preparing the Same. United States patent US 9, 358, 263; 2016.
66. Herbal Essence Skin Care Product. CN104116651A; 2014.
67. Babu UV, Mishra B. Novel Herbal Composition for Treatment of Psoriasis and other Skin Disorders. United States Patent Application US 12/981,742. Inventors; Himalaya Global Holdings Ltd.; 2011.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.