Development DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF NOVEL ULTRAVIOLET SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHOD FOR QUANTITATIVE ESTIMATION OF DALFAMPRIDINE IN BULK AND IN PHARMACEUTICAL FORMULATION
Objective: The objective of the present study is to develop ultraviolet (UV)-spectroscopic method using pure drug and tablet dosage form that consistently produces a drug with a minimal variation that adheres to quality criteria of purity, identity, and potency.
Methods: UV-spectrophotometric method has been developed using a solvent composed of methanol:water (30:70) as a diluent to determine the dalfampridine (DFP) content in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form at predetermined λmax of 262 nm.
Results: It was proved linear in the range of 02–12 μg/ml and exhibited a good correlation coefficient (r2 = 0.9915) and excellent mean recovery (0.004136347%). This method was successfully applied to the determination of DFP content of marketed tablet Dalstep 10 mg (Sun Pharmaceutical Pvt. Ltd.,) from India; the results were in good agreement with the label claims.
Conclusion: The method proved to be simple, accurate, precise, specific, robust, and less time consuming and can be applied for the determination of DFP in bulk and marketed formulation.
2. Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. Indian Pharmacopoeia. Vol. I. New Delhi: The Controller of Publication; 2014. p. 527.
3. Willard-Hobart H, Lynne LM Jr., John AD, Frank AS Jr. Instrumental Methods of Analysis. New Delhi: CBS Publishers and Distributors; 1988. p. 1-12, 580-10, 614-52.
4. Munson JW. In Pharmaceutical Analysis. Modern Methods. Mumbai: International Medical Book, Distributors; 2001. p. 28-32.
5. Chatwal GR, Anand SK. Instrumental Methods of Chemical Analysis. 5th ed. New Delhi: Himalaya Publishing House; 2002. p. 566-87, 624-39.
6. Haque SK, Ahmad A. Development and validation of analytical method for quantification of acetic acid content in amlodipine besylate. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:8-11.
7. Swetha G, Kumar KP, Sirisha K. New validated method development for the estimation of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim in bulk form by visible spectroscopy. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:50-7.
8. Wasnik RN. Method development and validation of antineoplastic drug-imatinib by uv-spectroscopy. Indo Am J Pharm 2018;4:362-9.
9. Dashora K, Singh D, Saraf S. Validation-the essential quality assurance tool for pharmaceutical industries. Pharm Process Validation 2005;3:45-7.
10. Kaur M, Bhardwaj P, Kaur B, Sharma A, Karu C, Kumar R, et al. Development and validation of a novel stability indicating uv-spectrophotometric method for estimation of febuxostat in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation (tablets). Pharm Methods 2018;9:23-8.
11. Moharana A, Banerjee M. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric method for the determination of mesalamine in bulk and tablet formulation. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:19-21.
12. Behera S, Ghanty S. UV-visible spectrophotometric method development and validation of assay of paracetamol tablet formulation. J Anal Bioanal Tech 2012;3:6.
13. Available from: https://www.drugs.com/monograph/dalfampridine. html.
14. Available from: https://www.pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/4- aminopyridine.
15. International Conference On Harmonization (Ich) Of Technical Requirements For The Registration Of Pharmaceuticals For Human Use. Ich-Q2(R1). Geneva: Validation of Analytical Procedures Methodology; 1996. p. 1-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.