SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF DRUGS PRESENT IN MICROBEADS FOR COLON-TARGETED DRUG DELIVERY SYSTEM
Objectives: The present study was aimed to develop Eudragit S100 coated colon-targeted sustained-release formulations of alginate-pectin and alginate-hydroxypropyl methylcellulose microbeads containing norfloxacin (NF) and tinidazole (TZ) for the treatment of amebiasis which was simultaneous estimated.
Methods: Taguchi L9 orthogonal array design has been used to optimize the composition and operating conditions for the preparation of formulations. Nine batches (P1-H5) were prepared by taking three independent variables (X1 – drug:polymer ratio, X2 – concentration of sodium alginate, and X3 – curing time) at three levels (1, 2, and 3). Response variables studied for batches (P1-H5) were mean particle size (μm) (Y1), drug entrapment efficiency (% w/w) (Y2), and drug loading (% w/w) (Y3). NF and TZ were simultaneous estimated by ultraviolet spectrophotometric method. Drug-polymer compatibility study was carried out by differential scanning calorimetry and Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy and indicates no physicochemical interaction.
Results: Microbeads were analyzed for morphological characteristics, mean particle size, drug entrapment efficiency, drug loading, and in vitro drug release. The average size of optimized alginate-pectin microbeads was found to be 881±0.05 μm with an entrapment efficiency of 78.50±0.28% (NF) and 86.50±0.32% (TZ) which was simultaneous estimated.
Conclusion: The studies concluded that formulated enteric-coated alginate-pectin microbeads after enteric coating can be used effectively for the delivery of NF and TZ to colon.
2. Jose S, Fangueiro JF, Smitha J, Cinu TA, Chacko AJ, Premaletha K, et al. Cross-linked chitosan microspheres for oral delivery of insulin: Taguchi design and in vivo testing. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2012;92:175 9.
3. Purushothaman M, Vijaya RJ, Prabakaran L. Colon targeted drug delivery system - An overview. Pharm Rev J 2010;8:1-23.
4. Chourasia MK, Jain SK. Pharmaceutical approaches to colon targeted drug delivery systems. J Pharm Sci 2003;6:33-66.
5. Pant M, Dadare K, Khatri NC. Application of UV spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of norfloxacin and tinidazole in bulk and tablet dosage forms. Pharma Chem 2012;4:1041-6.
6. Patel HK, Nagle A, Murthy RS. Characterization of calcium alginate beads of 5-fluorouracil for colon delivery. Asian J Pharm 2018;12:241 5.
7. Bagyalakshmi J, Arun RR, Ravi TK. Fomulation, physical charecterisation and in-vitro release studies of prednisolone alginate beads for colon targeting by ionotropic gelation. Int J Compr Pharm 2011;2:1-4.
8. Khan MS, Sridhar BK. Development and evaluation of pH-dependent micro beads for colon targeting. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:18-23.
9. Chopra R, Kaur KP, Bedi N. Colon specific delivery of eudragit E-100 and eudragit-FS30D coated tablets of leflunomide using chitosan chondroitin sulphate interpolymer complex. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:286-91.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.