PROTECTIVE EFFECT OF ROTENONE AGAINST LIPOPOLYSACCHARIDE AND D-GALACTOSAMINE-INDUCED HEMATOTOXICITY
Hematoprotective efficacy of Rotenone
Objective: The aim of the present study was to investigate the protective efficacy of rotenone against lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and D-galactosamine (D-GalN)-induced altered hematology.
Methods: Hematotoxicity was induced by coinjection of LPS (50 μg/kg i.p.) and D-GalN (300 mg/kg i.p.). Rotenone (5, 10 and 20 mg/kg p.o.) was administered for 6 days as a pre-treatment. Blood was collected through puncturing the retro-orbital sinus to analyze blood parameter. Serum was separated to analyze glucose, triglyceride, and cholesterol.
Results: The present study revealed decreased in red blood cells, platelets, hemoglobin, and hematocrit value while a significant increase in white blood cells, lymphocyte, and monocytes were observed in LPS and D-GalN treated rats. LPS and D-GalN administration significantly decrease glucose level while serum lipid profile (triglycerides and cholesterol level) were increased significantly at 5% level of significance. LPS and D-GalN-induced altered hematological and serological variables were restored toward control by rotenone pretreatment for 6 days in dose-dependent manner.
Conclusion: It can be said that LPS and D-GalN administration resulted in alteration of various hematological parameters and rotenone at 20 mg/kg dose restored significant alteration toward control due to the presence of antioxidant activity of rotenone.
2. Pamplona R, Costantini D. Molecular and structural antioxidant defenses against oxidative stress in animals. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2011;301:R843-63.
3. Krishnamoorthy VK, Rather IA. Protective effects of Emblica officinalis (Amla) on metal-induced lipid peroxidation in human erythrocytes. Pak J Pharm Sci 2016;29:1023-6.
4. Pisoschi AM, Pop A. The role of antioxidants in the chemistry of oxidative stress: A review. Eur J Med Chem 2015;97:55-74.
5. Manual M. Hematologic Reference Ranges. The Merck Veterinary Manual; 2012. Available from: https://www.merckvetmanual.com/ SearchResults?query=hematologic+reference+ranges.
6. Togun V, Oseni B, Ogundipe J, Arewa T, Hammed A, Ajonijebu D, et al. Effects of Chronic Lead Administration on the Haematological Parameters of Rabbits-a Preliminary Study. Proceeding of 41st Conference Agriculture Society of Nigeria; 2007. p. 341.
7. Khan TA, Zafar F. Haematological study in response to varying doses of estrogen in broiler chicken. Int J Poult Sci 2005;4:748-51.
8. Olafedehan C, Obun A, Yusuf M, Adewumi O, Oladefedehan A, Awofolaji A, et al. Effects of Residual Cyanide in Processed Cassava Peal Meals on Haematological and Biochemical Indices of Growing Rabbits. Vol. 2. Proceeding of 35th Annual Conference of Nigeria Society for Animals Production; 2010. p. 212.
9. Isaac L, Abah G, Akpan B, Ekaette I. Haematological Properties of Different Breeds and Sexes of Rabbits. Proceeding of 18th Annual Conference Animals Science Association of Nigeria; 2013. p. 24-7.
10. Aderemi F. Effects of replacement of wheat bran with cassava root sieviate supplemented or unsupplemented with enzyme on the haematology and serum biochemistry of pullet chicks. Trop J Anim Sci 2004;7:147-53.
11. Afolabi KD, Akinsoyinu AO, Abdullah AR, Olajide R, Akinleye SB. Haematological parameters of the Nigerian local grower chickens fed varying dietary levels of palm kernel cake. Poljoprivreda 2011;17:74-8.
12. Kallapura G, Pumford NR, Hernandez-Velasco X, Hargisand B, Tellez G. Mechanisms involved in lipopolysaccharide derived ROS and RNS oxidative stress and septic shock. J Microbiol Res Rev 2014;2:6-11.
13. Beheshti F, Hosseini M, Taheri Sarvtin M, Kamali A, Anaeigoudari A. Protective effect of aminoguanidine against lipopolysaccharide-induced hepatotoxicity and liver dysfunction in rat. Drug Chem Toxicol 2019. DOI: org/10.1080/01480545.2018.1561712.
14. Ramadan A, Soliman G, Mahmoud SS, Nofal SM, Abdel-Rahman RF. Hepatoprotective and hepatotheraputic effects of propolis against D-galactosamine/lipopolysaccharide-induced liver damage in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:372-8.
15. Galanos C, Freudenberg MA, Reutter W. Galactosamine-induced sensitization to the lethal effects of endotoxin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1979;76:5939-43.
16. De Oliveira JR, Rosa JL, Ambrosio S, Bartrons R. Effect of galactosamine on hepatic carbohydrate metabolism: Protective role of fructose 1,6-bisphosphate. Hepatology 1992;15:1147-53.
17. Masubuchi Y, Horie T. Endotoxin-mediated disturbance of hepatic cytochrome P450 function and development of endotoxin tolerance in the rat model of dextran sulfate sodium-induced experimental colitis. Drug Metab Dispos 2004;32:437-41.
18. Hien PP, Gortnizka H, Kraemer R. Rotenone-potential and prospect for sustainable agriculture. Omonrice 2003;11:83-92.
19. Ichikawa H, Takagi T, Uchiyama K, Higashihara H, Katada K, Isozaki Y, et al. Rotenone, a mitochondrial electron transport inhibitor, ameliorates ischemia-reperfusion-induced intestinal mucosal damage in rats. Redox Rep 2004;9:313-6.
20. Cunningham ML, Soliman MS, Badr MZ, Matthews HB. Rotenone, an anticarcinogen, inhibits cellular proliferation but not peroxisome proliferation in mouse liver. Cancer Lett 1995;95:93-7.
21. Wei L, Ren F, Zhang X, Wen T, Shi H, Zheng S, et al. Oxidative stress promotes D-galN/LPS-induced acute hepatotoxicity by increasing glycogen synthase kinase 3? activity. Inflamm Res 2014;63:485-94.
22. Jin Q, Jiang S, Wu YL, Bai T, Yang Y, Jin X, et al. Hepatoprotective effect of cryptotanshinone from salvia miltiorrhiza in D-galactosamine/ lipopolysaccharide-induced fulminant hepatic failure. Phytomedicine 2014;21:141-7.
23. Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. Statistical Methods. 8th ed. IOWA: State University Press; 1994.
24. Ihedioha JI, Okafor C, Ihedioha TE. The haematological profile of the sprague-dawley outbred albino rat in Nsukka, Nigeria. Anim Res Int 2004;1:125-32.
25. Oke U, Herbert U, Ebuzoeme C, Nwachukwu E, editors. Effect of Genotype on the Haematology of Nigerian Local Chickens in a Humid Tropical Environment. Proceeding of 32nd Annual Conference of the Nigeria Society for Animal Production; 2007. p. 18-21.
26. Etim N, Williams ME, Akpabio U, Offiong EE. Haematological parameters and factors affecting their values. Agric Sci 2014;2:37-47.
27. Church JP, Judd JT, Young CW, Kelsay JL, Kim WW. Relationships among dietary constituents and specific serum clinical components of subjects eating self-selected diets. Am J Clin Nutr 1984;40:1338-44.
28. Maxwell MH, Robertson GW, Spence S, McCorquodale CC.Comparison of haematological values in restricted and ad libitum-fed domestic fowls: White blood cells and thrombocytes. Br Poult Sci 1990;31:399-405.
29. Oyawoye B, Ogunkunle H. Biochemical and Haematological Reference Values in Normal Experimental Animals. New York: Mason; 2004. p. 212-6.
30. Chineke C, Ologun A, Ikeobi C. Haematological parameters in rabbit breeds and crosses in humid tropics. Pak J Biol Sci 2006;9:2102-6.
31. Ugwuene M. Effect of dietary palm kernel meal for maize on the haematological and serum chemistry of broiler turkey. Nig J Anim Sci 2011;13:93-103.
32. Sahu N, Mishra G, Chandra HK, Nirala SK, Bhadauria M. Ameliorative effect of naringenin against antituberculosis drugs induced alterations in hematological parameters of rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:253-5.
33. Purves W, Sadava D, Orians G, Heller H. Life: The Science of Biology. Plants and Animals. Vol 3. United Kingdom: Macmillan; 2003.
34. Sidell BD, O’Brien KM. When bad things happen to good fish: The loss of hemoglobin and myoglobin expression in antarctic icefishes. J Exp Biol 2006;209:1791-802.
35. Peters SO, Gunn HH, Imumorin IG, Agaviezor BO, Ikeobi CO. Haematological studies on frizzled and naked neck genotypes of Nigerian native chickens. Trop Anim Health Prod 2011;43:631-8.
36. Awodi S, Ayo J, Atodo A, Dzende T, editors. Some Haematological Parameters and the Erythrocyte Osmotic Fragility in the Laughing Dove (Streptopella senegalensis) and the Village Weaver Bird (Ploceus cucullatus). Vol. 1215. Proceeding of 10th Annual Conference Animal Science Association of Nigeria; 2005. p. 384-7.
37. Soetan K, Akinrinde A, Ajibade T, editors. Preliminary Studies on the Haematological Parameters of Cockerels Fed Raw and Processed Guinea Corn (Sorghum bicolor). Proceeding 38th Annual Conference Nigeria Society Animal Production; 2013. p. 49-52.
38. Kabir M, Akpa G, Nwagu B, Adeyinka I, Bello U, editors. Sexual Dimorphism, Breed and age Characteristics of Rabbits in Zaria, Nigeria. Proceeding of 16th Annual Conference Animal Science Association of Nigeria; 2011. p. 133-7.
39. Chandra HK, Mishra G, Sahu N, Nirala SK, Bhadauria M. Effect of rutin against high-fat diet and alcohol-induced alterations in hematological variables of rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:186-9.
40. Arai K, Lee K, Berthiaume F, Tompkins RG, Yarmush ML. Intrahepatic amino acid and glucose metabolism in a D-galactosamine-induced rat liver failure model. Hepatology 2001;34:360-71.
41. Hochgraf E, Cogan U, Mokady S. Dietary oxidized linoleic acid enhances liver cholesterol biosynthesis and secretion in rats. J Nutr Biochem 2000;11:176-80.
42. Ray SD, Sorge CL, Raucy JL, Corcoran GB. Early loss of large genomic DNA in vivo with accumulation of ca2+ in the nucleus during acetaminophen-induced liver injury. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1990;106:346-51.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.