METHOD DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION FOR SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF CLOTRIMAZOLE, MICONAZOLE NITRATE, AND TINIDAZOLE BY REVERSED-PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY METHOD IN TABLETS
SIMULTANEOUS ESTIMATION OF CLOTRIMAZOLE, MICONAZOLE NITRATE AND TINIDAZOLE BY RP-HPLC METHOD
Objective: The aim of the study is to develop and validate a high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the simultaneous determination of clotrimazole, miconazole nitrate, and tinidazole tablet dosage forms.
Materials and Methods: A Waters C18 column (50 mm×4.6 mm, 5 μm) with mobile phase consisting of acetonitrile, methanol, and water 55:25:20 (v/v) (pH 2.5 adjusting with 0.5% orthophosphoric acid) was used. The flow rate was 1.0 ml/min, and effluents were monitored at 210 nm.
Results: The retention time of miconazole nitrate, tinidazole, and clotrimazole tablets was found to be 2.9 min, 3.5 min, and 4.7 min, respectively. The method was validated according to the ICH guidelines for specificity, limit of detection, limit of quantification, precision, accuracy, linearity, ruggedness, and robustness.
Conclusion: The method shows good reproducibility and recovery with % relative standard deviation <2. Hence, the proposed method was found to be simple, specific, precise, accurate, and linear. Hence, it can be applied for routine analysis of clotrimazole, miconazole nitrate, and tinidazole in pharmaceutical combined dosage forms.
2. Crowley PD, Gallagher HC. Clotrimazole as a pharmaceutical: Past, present and future. J Appl Microbiol 2014;117:611-7.
3. Seethalakshmi N, Chenthilnathan A, Rama K. RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of metronidazole, clindamycin phosphate and clotrimazole in combined pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci 2014;4:67-77.
4. Joshi S, Majmudar F. Analytical method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of clotrimazole and tinidazole by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Res Sch 2015;4:135-40.
5. Dhake AS, Shinkar DM, Shayle S, Patil SB, Setty CM. Development and evaluation of mucoadhesive tablets of clotrimazole and its ?-cyclodextrin complex for the treatment of candidiasis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2011;3:159-64.
6. Prava VR, Seru G. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous determination of clindamycin and miconazole in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Pharm Methods 2014;5:56.
7. Sahoo DR, Jain S. A rapid and validated RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous quantification of benzoic acid, metronidazole and miconazole nitrate in vaginal formulations. J Chromatogr Sci 2016;54:1613-8.
8. Barasch A, Griffin AV. Miconazole revisited: New evidence of antifungal efficacy from laboratory and clinical trials. Future Microbial 2008;3:265-9.
9. Madhuri K, Senthil KM, Kalyani L. A review on tinidazole. Int J Pharm Chem Bio Sci 2011;1:38-42.
10. Rani NU, Rao JV. Estimation of tinidazole in tablets by RP-HPLC method. Int J Chem Sci 2010;8:2325-30.
11. Dharuman J, Vasudevan M, Somasekaran KN, Dhandapania B, Ghodea PS, Thiagarajana M. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the simultaneous estimation of ofloxacin and tinidazole in tablets. Int J PharmTech Res 2009;1:121-4.
12. Kumar DV, Swetha P, Prasad GS, Kumar AA. Assay method development and validation for simultaneous quantitative estimation of diloxanide furoate and ornidazole in tablets by RP-HPLC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:357-62.
13. Swartz ME, Krull IS. Analytical method development and validation. J Am Chem Soc 1997;22:104-19.
14. Ahuja S, Rasmussen H. HPLC Method Development for Pharmaceuticals. 1st ed. Boca Raton, FL: Elsevier; 1997. p. 145-86.
15. Vidushi Y, Meenakshi B. A review on HPLC method development and validation. Res J Life Sci Bioinform Pharm Chem Sci 2017;2:178.
16. International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human use ICH Harmonized Tripartite Guideline on Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.