DIAGNOSTIC VALUE OF RETICULOCYTE HEMOGLOBIN AND SOLUBLE TRANSFERRIN RECEPTOR IN DETERMINING THE IRON STATUS OF CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE WITH HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTS
Objective: This research aims to find the sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV), and negative predictive value (NPV) of the new parameters reticulocyte hemoglobin (Ret-He), and soluble transferrin receptor (sTfR) in determining the iron status of patients with chronic kidney disease with hemodialysis (CKD-HD) who will receive recombinant human erythropoietin (rHuEPO) therapy which requires sufficient iron levels.
Methods: The cross-sectional study was conducted in Hemodialysis (HD) Unit of Dr. M. Soewandhie Regional General Hospital from September 2018 to March 2019. Patients with CKD and anemia who had undergone hemodialysis were recruited in this study. There were two groups: Group 1, patients with iron-deficiency anemia and Group 2, patients without iron-deficiency anemia. Examination on Ret-He and sTfR was performed through comparison with gold standard transferrin saturation and ferritin serum.
Results: The mean±standard deviation of Ret-He is 30.18±2.74 pg, sTfR of male group is 2704.11±1981 mg/l and sTfR of female group is 3837.76±1415 mg/l. The agreement of Ret-He and gold standard was 85.4% (p=0.000) with sensitivity 86.7%, specificity 84.6%, PPV 76.5%, and NPV 91.7%. The agreement of sTfR in male was 92.8% (p=0.002) with sensitivity 100%, specificity 90.9%, PPV 75%, and NPV 100%. As for female, it was 85.1% (p=0.000), with sensitivity 83.3%, specificity 86.75%, PPV 83.3%, and NPV 86.7%. According to sTfR/log ferritin index calculation, the agreement was 100% (p=0.000) for male and 85.1% (p=0.000) for female.
Conclusion: The diagnostic values of the parameters Ret-He, sTfR, and sTfR/log ferritin index were high and therefore can be used to diagnose iron-deficiency anemia in CKD-HD patients who will undergo rHuEPO therapy.
2. Saradhi SV, Baig MM, Irfana A, Fariha AK, Fatima B. A study of therapeutic response andadverse effects of intravenous erythropoietin versus subcutaneous erythropoietin on hemodialysis patients in the departmentof nephrology of OHRC. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:151 3.
3. Luthvia L, Harahap U, Nasution S. The effect of erythropoietin dose phase of correction as drug-related problems to target level of hemoglobin in regular hemodialysis patients. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:151-4.
4. Latif A, Alam MR, Khanam A, Hoque F, Rahim MA, Islam RN. Role of serum transferrin receptor in diagnosing and differentiating iron deficiency anemia from anemia of chronic disease in patients with chronic kidney disease. BIRDEM Med J 2017;7:132-7.
5. Thomas C, Thomas L. Biochemical markers and hematologic indices in the diagnosis of functional iron deficiency. Clin Chem 2002;48:1066 76.
6. KDIGO. KDIGO clinical practice guideline for anemia in chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int Suppl 2012;2:292-8.
7. KDOQI, National Kidney Foundation. KDOQI clinical practice guidelines and clinical practice recommendations for anemia in chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis 2006;47:S11-145.
8. Suhardjono, Lubis HR. In: Lydia A, editor. Penyakit Ginjal Kronik dan Anemia: Definisi dan Klasifikasi. Konsensus Manajemen Anemia Pada Penyakit Ginjal Kronik. 2nd ed. Indonesia: PERNEFRI; 2011. p. 1-4.
9. Dalimunthe NN, Lubis AR. Usefulness of reticulocyte hemoglobin equivalent in management of regular hemodialysis patients with iron deficiency anemia. Rom J Intern Med 2016;54:31-6.
10. López-Ruzafa E, Vázquez-López MA, Lendinez-Molinos F, Poveda- González J, Galera-Martínez R, Bonillo-Perales A, et al. Reference values of reticulocyte hemoglobin content and their relation with other indicators of iron status in healthy children. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2016;38:e207-12.
11. Somvanshi S, Khan NZ, Ahmad M. Anemia in chronic kidney disease patients. Nephrology 2012;1:198-204.
12. Sysmex Corporation. XN Series Instruction for Use. Sysmex, Sysmex Educational Enhancement and Development. Kobe: Clinical Utility of the Ret-He Content in SEED-Africa Newsletter; 2012. p. 12.
13. Fishbane S, Shapiro W, Dutka P, Valenzuela OF, Faubert J. A randomized trial of iron deficiency testing strategies in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int 2001;60:2406-11.
14. Mast AE, Blinder MA, Lu Q, Flax S, Dietzen DJ. Clinical utility of the reticulocyte hemoglobin content in the diagnosis of iron deficiency. Blood 2002;99:1489-91.
15. Matsuda A, Bessho M, Mori S, Takeuchi T, Abe T, Yawata Y, et al. Diagnostic significance of serum soluble transferrin receptors in various anemic diseases: The first multi-institutional joint study in Japan. Haematologia (Budap) 2002;32:225-38.
16. Wirawan R, Arlinda T. Peran Parameter Retikulosit Tambahan Pada Tatalaksana Penyakit Ginjal Kronik. Semiloka Mutu. Badan Khusus PKEL PDS PATKLIN; 2017.
17. Toki Y, Ikuta K, Yamamoto M, Hatayama M, Shindo M, Fujiya M, et al. Usefulness of reticulocyte hemoglobin equivalent for diagnosis of iron deficiency. Blood 2016;128:3621.
18. Brugnara C, Schiller B, Moran J. Reticulocyte hemoglobin equivalent (Ret he) and assessment of iron-deficient states. Clin Lab Haematol 2006;28:303-8.
19. Lankhorst CE, Wish JB. Anemia in renal disease: Diagnosis and management. Blood Rev 2010;24:39-47.
20. Markovi? M, Majki?-Singh N, Subota V. Usefulness of soluble transferrin receptor and ferritin in iron deficiency and chronic disease. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2005;65:571-6.
21. Mehta S, Goyal LK, Kaushik D, Gulati S, Sharma N, Harshvardhan L, et al. Reticulocyte hemoglobin vis-a-vis serum ferritin as a marker of bone marrow iron store in iron deficiency anemia. J Assoc Physicians India 2016;64:38-42.
22. Skikne BS, Punnonen K, Caldron PH, Bennett MT, Rehu M, Gasior GH, et al. Improved differential diagnosis of anemia of chronic disease and iron deficiency anemia: A prospective multicenter evaluation of soluble transferrin receptor and the sTfR/log ferritin index. Am J Hematol 2011;86:923-7.
23. Ho CH. The diagnostic role of serum transferrin receptor in patients with various anemia. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi (Taipei) 2002;65:55-60.
24. Braga F, Infusino I, Dolci A, Panteghini M. Soluble transferrin receptor in complicated anemia. Clin Chim Acta 2014;431:143-7.
25. Adhiatma K, Dony Y. Anemia pada penyakit kronik. In: Lembar S, Tjahyadi, editors. Hematologi Eritrosit dan Kelainannya. Indonesia: Universitas Katolik Indonesia Atma Jaya; 2015. p. 293-305.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.