SYNTHESIS, CHARACTERIZATION, AND EVALUATION OF ANTIBACTERIAL AND ANTIDEPRESSANT ACTIVITIES OF NOVEL TETRASUBSTITUTED IMIDAZOLE DERIVATIVES
Objective: The objective of this study is to synthesize 10 novel tetrasubstituted imidazole derivatives and characterizations of them and to evaluate their antibacterial and antidepressant activities.
Methods: Ten novel tetrasubstituted imidazole derivatives were synthesized on the basis of Radziszewski imidazole synthesis. They were purified by double crystallization, characterized by melting point, thin-layer chromatography, infrared, and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and subjected to elemental analysis. They were evaluated for their antibacterial activity by agar disc diffusion method and antidepressant activity by forced swim method and tail suspension method.
Results: The compounds were synthesized and characterized them, and the structure was confirmed. The compounds were designated as M1 to M10 depending on their substitution. The antibacterial activity was evaluated using disc diffusion test in Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Escherichia coli using ciprofloxacin 20 μg as standard. All the 10 test drugs show significant antibacterial activity in Gram-positive organism. The antidepressant activity of novel tetrasubstituted derivatives and standard clomipramine using forced swim test and tail suspension method is evaluated in rats. Synthesized novel tetrasubstituted derivatives show a promising antidepressant activity.
Conclusion: The synthesized compounds find promising antibacterial and antidepressant activities.
2. Kunied T, Mutsanga H. The Chemistry of Heterocyclic Compounds. Palmer: Academic Press; 2002. p. 175.
3. Prasad PM, Kanvinde AS, Raja S. Potent biological agent benzimidazole a review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:22-3.
4. Chowdhury A, Juvekar AR. Antidepressant and nootropic activity of aqueous extract of Indigofera tinctoria in mice. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:131-5.
5. Tripathy KD. Essential of Medical Pharmacology, 5th ed, New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers; 2003. p. 627-32, 369-70, 405-7.
6. Jawaharmal S, Lamba HS, Narwal S, Singh G, Saini DR, Kaur A, et al. Synthesis of novel imidazole compounds and their anti-microbial evaluation. Indo Glob J Pharm Sci 2012;2:147-56.
7. Mariappan G, Alam S, Sutharson L, Haldar PK, Nath S. Design synthesis and neuropharmacological activity of dihydro imidazole derivatives. Indian J Chem 2013;52B:568-72.
8. Hadizadeh F, Hosseinzadeh H, Motamed-Shariaty VS, Seifi M, Kazemi SH. Synthesis and antidepressant activity of n-substituted imidazole-5-carboxamides in forced swimming test model. Iran J Pharm Res 2008;7:29-33.
9. Mishra R, Ganguly S, Sethi KK, Mazumder PM. Synthesis and anticonvulsant activity of some novel 2-methyl imidazole derivatives. Lett Drug Des Discov 2012;9:402-8.
10. Parab RH, Dixit BC. Synthesis characterization and anti-microbial activity of imidazole derivatives based on 2-chloro-7-methyl-3- formylquinoline. J Chem 2012;9:1188-95.
11. Khaliullin F, Nikitina I, Valieva A, Miftakhova A, Khalilov L, Mescheryakova E. Synthesis and antidepressant activity of 2-bromo-1- (thietan-3-yl) imidazole 4, 5-dicarboxylic acid derivatives. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:154.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.