SCREENING OF ACTINOMYCETES ISOLATED FROM NATURAL ECOSYSTEM (PERIYAR TIGER RESERVE, KERALA) FOR LIPASE INHIBITORY ACTIVITIES
Objectives: The present study was undertaken to screen pancreatic lipase inhibitory activity of crude extracts of actinomycetes species isolated from the soil sediments of Periyar Tiger Reserve, Kerala. The identified lipase inhibitory activity was partially purified, and the selected isolate was identified by 16S rRNA sequencing.
Methods: The preliminary screening for the extracellular lipase inhibitory activities of actinomycetes isolates was performed by inoculating the culture to the test tubes containing inoculation media in submerged condition. The lipase inhibitory activities were again evaluated based on secondary screening on the production media and the strain which produced consistent highest lipase inhibitory activity was selected for further studies. The crude extract from the selected strain was subjected to solvent extraction and partially purified by plain silica gel column (mesh size 100–200 μm; column 300 mm×18 mm) and eluted with different solvents in the increasing order of polarity and all the solvent fractions were checked for lipase inhibitory activity.
Results: Based on the secondary screening on the production of media, DDE6 strain showed highest lipase inhibitory activity (96.2%) and was selected for further studies. The dichloromethane extract showed the highest lipase inhibitory activity (96.38%) when compared to other solvents. The partial 16S rRNA sequence analysis of DDE6 isolate confirmed the strain as Curtobacterium oceanosedimentum.
Conclusion: Many research publications have reported the isolation of Curtobacterium species and its type strains. However, this is the first time to report its potential to produce lipase inhibitor metabolite under submerged fermentation conditions. Further, studies are needed to be conducted to characterize the active principle of lipase inhibition as well as to elucidate the structure of the extracted compound.
2. Tokdar P, Ranadive P, Mascarenhas M, Patil M, George S. A new pancreatic lipase inhibitor produced by streptomyces sp. MTCC 2011;5219:7-10.
3. Rodgers RJ, Tschöp MH, Wilding JP. Anti-obesity drugs: Past, present and future. Dis Model Mech 2012;5:621-6.
4. Berdy J. The discovery of new bioactive microbial metabolites: Screening and identification. Prog Ind Microbiol 1989;27:3-27.
5. Elangbam CS. Review paper: Current strategies in the development of anti-obesity drugs and their safety concerns. Vet Pathol 2009;46:10-24.
6. Kaila B, Raman M. Obesity: A review of pathogenesis and management strategies. Can J Gastroenterol 2008;22:61-8.
7. Singh G, Suresh S, Bayineni VK, Kadeppagari RK. Lipase inhibitors from plants and their medical applications. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;7:1-5.
8. Hidayah N, Adnyana KI, Fisheri N, Setiawan F. Antiobesity activitity of water fractions extract of tamarind (Tamarindus indica L.) in high carbohydrate diet induced male Wistar rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:200-5.
9. Lai HY, Ong SL, Rao NK. In vitro lipase inhibitory effect of thirty two selected plants in Malaysia. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:19-24.
10. Kitahara M, Asano M, Naganawa H, Maeda K, Hamada M, Aoyagi T et al. Valilactone: An inhibitor of esterase, produced by actinomycetes. J Antibot 2012;40:1647-50.
11. Naveen BK. Production of Novel Lipase Inhibitor from Streptomyces Sp. Doctor of Philosophy, Thesis; 2005. p. 1-240.
12. Bayineni VK, Suresh S, Singh G, Kadeppagari RK. Development of a bioautographic method for the detection of lipase inhibitors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2014;453:784-6.
13. Weibel EK, Hadvary P, Hochuli E, Kupfer E, Lengsfeld H. Lipstatin, an inhibitor of pancreatic lipase, produced by Streptomyces toxytricini. I. Producing organism, fermentation, isolation and biological activity. J Antibiot (Tokyo) 1987;40:1081-5.
14. Hochuli E, Kupfer E, Maurer R, Meister W, Mercadal Y, Schmidt K, et al. Lipstatin, an inhibitor of pancreatic lipase, produced by Streptomyces toxytricini. II. Chemistry and structure elucidation. J Antibiot (Tokyo) 1987;40:1086-91.
15. Shamsiya TK, Harohally NV, Manonmani HK. Production and purification of a new inhibitor of pancreatic lipase and hormone sensitive lipase from soil actinomycetes. Int J Inn Res Sci Eng Tech 2015;4:11600-9.
16. Shaik M, Sankar GG, Iswarya M, Rajitha P. Isolation and characterization of bioactive metabolites producing marine Streptomyces parvulus strain sankarensis-A10. J Genet Eng Biotechnol 2017;15:87-94.
17. Funke G, Aravena-Roman M, Frodl R. First description of Curtobacterium spp. isolated from human clinical specimens. J Clin Microbiol 2005;43:1032-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.