A REVIEW ON HYDROTROPY: A POTENTIAL APPROACH FOR THE SOLUBILITY ENHANCEMENT OF POORLY SOLUBLE DRUG
Jyoti Joshi, Nidhi Nainwal Sharma, Vikas Anand Saharan
Solubility is one of the significant parameters to accomplish wanted centralization of medication in foundational flow for pharmacological reaction to appear. Medication adequacy can be seriously constrained by poor watery dissolvability, and a few medications additionally show reactions because of their poor solvency. There are numerous strategies which are utilized to upgrade the fluid solvency. The capacity to increment watery solvency would thus be able to be a profitable guide to expanding proficiency as well as lessening reactions for specific medications. The ability to augment watery dissolvability would subsequently have the option to be a beneficial manual for extending capability just as diminishing responses for explicit medications. Therapeutic adequacy of a medication relies on the bioavailability and at last on the solvency of medication particles. Solvency is one of the significant parameters to accomplish wanted convergence of medication in fundamental course for pharmacological reaction to appear. Because of cutting edge inquire about and advancement, there are assortments of new medications and their subordinates are accessible. In any case, over 40% of lipophilic medication up-and-comers neglect to achieve showcase because of poor bioavailability, despite the fact that these medications may display potential pharmacodynamic exercises. The lipophilic medication that achieves market requires a high portion to accomplish appropriate pharmacological activity. Hydrotropy is one of the solvency improvement methods which upgrade dissolvability to numerous folds with utilization of hydrotropes such as sodium benzoate, sodium citrate, urea, niacinamide, and so forth and have numerous focal points as, it does not require substance alteration of hydrophobic medications, utilization of natural solvents, or readiness of emulsion framework and so forth.
2. Badwan AA, El-Khordagui LK, Saleh AM, Khalil SA. The solubility of benzodiazepines in sodium salicylate solution and a proposed mechanism for hydrotropic solubilization. Int J Pharm 1982;13:34-41.
3. Beig A. Hydrotropic solubilization of lipophilic drugs for oral delivery: The effect of urea and nicotinamide on carbamazepin solubility- permibility. Front Pharmacol 2011;1:19-25.
4. Cui Y. Hydrotropic solubilization by urea derivatives: A molecular dynamics simulation study. J Pharm (Cairo) 2013;2013:791370.
5. Shukla R, Patel A, Soni M, Modi V. Quantitative spectrophotometric estimation of cefadroxil using hydrotropic solubilization technique. Asian J Pharm 2008;2:146-7.
6. Maheshwari RK, Srivastav VK, Prajapat RP, Jain A, Kamaria P, Sahu S. New spectrophotometric estimation of ornidazole tablets employing urea as a hydrotropic solubilizing additive. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:258-61.
7. Maheshwari R, Rajput M, Sinha S. Ecofriendly spectrophotometric estimation of tinidazole in tablets using lignocaine HCL as a hydrotropic solubilising agent. Asian J Pharm 2009;3:319-21.
8. Dandekar D, Gaikar V. Hydrotropic extraction of curcuminoids from turmeric. Sep Sci Technol 2003;38:1185-215.
9. Padalkar K, Gaikar V. Extraction of piperine from piper nigrum (black pepper) by aqueous solutions of surfactant and surfactant + hydrotrope mixtures. Sep Sci Technol 2008;43:3097-118.
10. Ansari K, Gaikar V. Green hydrotropic extraction technology for delignification of sugarcane bagasse by using alky benzene sulfonates as hydrotropes. Chem Eng Sci 2014;115:1157-66.
11. Gaikar VG, Sharma MM. Note: Extractive separations with hydrotropes. Solvent Extr Ion Exc 1986;4:839-46.
12. Bhat M, Gaikar V. Characterization of interaction between butyl benzene sulfonates and cetyl trimethyl ammonium bromide in a mixed aggregate systems. Langmuir 1999;5:4740-51.
13. Rathod M, Agarwal S. Development and evaluation of furosemide microspheres made by mixed solvency concept. Int J Pharm Erudition 2013;2:22-31.
14. Evstigneev MP, Evstigneev VP, Santiago AA, Davies DB. Effect of a mixture of caffeine and nicotinamide on the solubility of Vitamin (B2) in aqueous solution. Eur J Pharm Sci 2006;28:59-66.
15. Gadade DD, Lohade TS, Lahoti SR, Rawat SS, Maheshwari RK. Solubility enhancement of ofloxacin by mixed solvency approaches. Indian Drugs 2018;55:34-40.
16. Girishpai K, Divya S, Reddy MS, Kumar L, Krishna TV. Solubility enhancement of norfloxacin by hydrotropy technique. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:395-7.
17. Jain N, Jain R, Jain DK, Maheshwari RK, Jain S. Novel UV-spectrophotometric method for quantitative estimation of furazolidone using mixed hydrotropic agent. Pak J Pharm Sci 2013;26:159-62.
18. Jackson JK, Letchford K. The effective solubilization of hydrophobic drugs using epigallocatechin gallate or tannic acid-based formulations. J Pharm Sci 2016;105:3143-52.
19. Kumar SV, Raja C, Jayakumar C. A review on solubility enhancement using hydrotropic phenomena. Int J Pharm Sci 2014;6:1-7.
20. Kate BA, Phulzalke SB, Deshmukh MT. Solubility enhancement of poorly water soluble drug zaltoprofen by mixed hydrotropy approaches. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2016;6:32-9.
21. Damiati SA, Martini LG, Smith NW, Lawrence MJ, Barlow DJ. Application of machine learning in prediction of hydrotrope-enhanced solubilisation of indomethacin. Int J Pharm 2017;530:99-106.
22. Dhapte V, Mehta PP. Advances in hydrotropic solution: An update review. St. Petersburg Polytechn Univ J 2016;1:424-35.
23. Lim LY, Go ML. Caffeine and nicotinamide enhances the aqueous solubility of the antimalarial agent halofantrine. Eur J Pharm Sci 2000;10:17-28.
24. Limbird LE, Hardman JG. The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division; 2001.
25. Kumar Maheshwari R, Indurkhya A. Formulation and evaluation of aceclofenac injection made by mixed hydrotropic solubilization technique. Iran J Pharm Res 2010;9:233-42.
26. Madan JR, Pawar KT, Dua K. Solubility enhancement studies on lurasidone hydrochloride using mixed hydrotropy. Int J Pharm Investig 2015;5:114-20.
27. Madan JR, Kamate VJ, Dua K, Awasthi R. Improving the solubility of nevirapine using A hydrotropy and mixed hydrotropy based solid dispersion approach. Polim Med 2017;47:83-90.
28. Maheshwari RK, Jagwani Y. Mixed hydrotropy: Novel science of solubility enhancement. Indian J Pharm Sci 2011;73:179-83.
29. Maheshwari RK, Rathore A, Agrawal A, Gupta MA. New spectrophotometric estimation of indomethacin capsules with niacinamide as hydrotropic solubilizing agent. Pharm Methods 2011;2:184-8.
30. Maheshwari Y, Mishra DK, Mahajan SC, Maheshwari P, Maheshwari RK, Jain V. Novel pharmaceutical application of mixed solvency in the formulation development of syrups (Liquids Oral Solution) of poorly water- soluble drugs. Int J Pharm Sci 2013;3:753-8.
31. Maheshwari RK, Rajput MS, Sharma S, Nair V. New spectrophotometric of hydrochlorothiazide in tablets using mixed hydrotropic solubilization technique. Sch Res Lib 2010;2:70-4.
32. Nidhi K, Indrajeet S, Khushboo M, Gauri K, Sen DJ. Hydrotropy: A promising tools for solubility enhancement: A review. Int J Drug Dev Res 2011;5:32-9.
33. Palcsó B, Zelkó R. Different types, applications and limits of enabling excipients of pharmaceutical dosage forms. Drug Discov Today Technol 2018;27:21-39.
34. Plöger GF, Hofsäss MA, Dressman JB. Solubility determination of active pharmaceutical ingredients which have been recently added to the list of essential medicines in the context of the biopharmaceutics classification system-biowaiver. J Pharm Sci 2018;107:1478-88.
35. Phulzalke SB, Kate BA, Bagade MY. Solubility Enhancement of telmisartan using mixed hydrotropy approaches. Asian J Biomed Pharm Sci 2015;5:37-9.
36. Pande VV. Exploration of mixed hydrotropy strategy in formulation and development of etodolac injection. J Nanomed Res 2016;3:423.
37. Qi X, Zhang J, Wang W, Cao D. Solubility and stability of indomethacin in arginine-assisted solubilization system. Pharm Dev Technol 2013;18:852-5.
38. Singh N, Allawadi D, Singh S, Arora S. Techniques for bioavailability enhancement of BCS Class II drugs: A review. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2013;2:38-46.
39. Shelke PS. 2018 Enhancement of solubility of mefenamic acid by hydrotrope based solid dispersion. Int J Sci Res Sci Technol 2010;6:342 9.
40. Sajid AM, Choudhary V. 2012 Solubility enhancement methods with importance of hydrotropy. J Drug Deliv Thera 2013;6:56-62.
41. Solanki SS, Soni LK, Maheshwari RK. Study on mixed solvency concept in formulation development of aqueous injection of poorly water soluble drug. J Pharm (Cairo) 2013;2013:678132.
42. Soni KL, Solanki SS, Maheshwari RK. Development of parenteral formulation of poorly water soluble drugs: The role of novel mixed- solvency concept. Asian J Pharm 2017;11:1-10.
43. Ting MJ, Porter WW. Advances in polymer design for enhancing oral drug solubility and delivery. Bioconjug Chem 2014;6:14-22.
44. Takahashi K, Komai M, Kinoshita N, Nakamura E, Hou XL, Takatani-Nakase T, et al. Application of hydrotropy to transdermal formulations: Hydrotropic solubilization of polyol fatty acid monoesters in water and enhancement effect on skin permeation of 5-FU. J Pharm Pharmacol 2011;63:1008-14.
45. Grishpai K, Divya S, Reddy M, Kumar L, Krishna V. Solubility enhancement of norfloxacin by hydrotropy technique. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;4:395-7.
46. Rub M, Azum N, Kumar D, Khan F, Asiri A. Clouding phenomenon of amphiphilic drug promazine hydrochloride solutions: Influence of pharamaceutical excipients. J Ind Eng Chem 2015;21:1119-26.
47. Kumar S, Gandhi N. Association model of hydrotropy for the effect of hydrotropes on solubility and mass transfer co-efficient of acetylsalicylic acid. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:600-5.
48. Cui Y. Parallel stacking of caffeine with riboflavin in aqueous solutions: The potential mechanism for hydrotropic solubilization of riboflavin. Int J Pharm 2010;397:36-43.
49. Naqvi AZ, Rub MA, Ud-Din K. Effects of pharmaceutical excipients on cloud points of amphiphilic drugs. J Colloid Interface Sci 2011;361:42 8.
50. El-Houssieny BM, El-Dein EZ, El-Messiry HM. Enhancement of solubility of dexibuprofen applying mixed hydrotropic solubilization technique. Drug Discov Ther 2014;8:178-84.
51. Subramanian D, Anisimov M. Phase behavior and mesoscale solubilization in aqueous solutions of hydrotropes. Fluid Phase Equilibria 2014;362:170-6.
52. Maheshwari RK, Saxena M, Gahlot M, Chaki R, Kinariwala M, Jagwani Y, et al. Novel application of hydrotropic solubilizing additives in the estimation of aspirin in tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:649 51.
53. Maheshwari R, Manchandani P, Arif P, Mittal D, Man-Chandani P, Indurakhya A, et al. A novel method for quantitative determination of aceclofenac in bulk drug and tablet using ibuprofen sodium as hydrotropic solubilising agents. J Appl Chem Res 2008;5:63-8.
54. Maheshwari R. Analysis of furosemide by application of hydrotropic solubilisation phenomenon. Indian Pharmacist 2005;4:55-8.
55. Maheshwari R, Chaturvedi S, Jain N. Novel application of hydrotropic solubilisation in the analysis of some NSAIDs and their solid dosage forms. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69:101-6.
56. Maheshwari RK, Wanare G, Chahar N, Joshi P, Nayak N. Quantitative estimation of naproxen in tablets using ibuprofen sodium as hydrotropic agent. Indian J Pharm Sci 2009;71:335-7.
57. Jayakumar C, Kumar D, Nesakumar D, Gandhi N. Quantitative analysis of theophylline bulk sample using sodium salicylate hydrotrope. Int J Pharm Sci 2010;2:80-1.
58. Jadhav S, Bhatia M, Thamake S, Pishawikar S. Spectrophotometric methods for estimation of atorvastatin calcium form tablet dosage forms. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:1948-53.
59. El-Khordagui L. Hydrotrope-gelled starch: Study of some physicochemical properties. Int J Pharm 1991;74:25-32.60.
60. Chavda HV, Patel CN, Anand IS. Biopharmaceutics classification system. Syst Rev Pharm 2010;1:62-9.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.