EFFECT OF NOISE STRESS-INDUCED NEUROBEHAVIORAL CHANGES ON WISTAR ALBINO RATS
Objective: The study aims to investigate the effect of acute noise stress on cognitive functions in male Wistar albino rats.
Methods: Adult albino rats were randomly divided into two groups. Each group contains six animals. Rats exposed to acute noise stress (100 dB/4 h) were compared with control animal and assessed for cognition using T-maze, hole-board test, open-field test, marble burying test, and social interaction behavior.
Results: The rats exposed to acute noise stress showed the significance (p<0.05) of behavioral alterations such as impaired learning and memory, memory retention, increased fear and anxiety, obsessive–compulsive behavior, social avoidance, and decreased social interaction.
Conclusion: The results report that acute noise stress affects the cognition, and it became chronic may confer the increased risk of neurodegenerative disorders.
2. Gai Z, Li K, Sun H, She X, Cui B, Wang R, et al. Effects of chronic noise on mRNA and protein expression of CRF family molecules and its relationship with p-tau in the rat prefrontal cortex. J Neurol Sci 2016;368:307-13.
3. Henderson D, Bielefeld EC, Harris KC, Hu BH. The role of oxidative stress in noise-induced hearing loss. Ear Hear 2006;27:1-9.
4. Jamir L, Nongkynrih B, Gupta SK. Community noise pollution in urban India: Need for public health action. Indian J Community Med 2014;39:8-12.
5. Fink DJ. What is a safe noise level for the public? Am J Public Health 2017;107:44-5.
6. Srinivasan S, Wankhar W, Rathinasamy S, Rajan R. Neuroprotective effects of Indigofera tinctoria on noise stress affected wistar albino rat brain. J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;5:58-65.
7. Manikandan S, Devi RS. Antioxidant property of alpha-asarone against noise-stress-induced changes in different regions of rat brain. Pharmacol Res 2005;52:467-74.
8. Samson J, Sheela Devi R, Ravindran R, Senthilvelan M. Effect of noise stress on free radical scavenging enzymes in brain. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2005;20:142-8.
9. Deacon RM, Rawlins JN. T-maze alternation in the rodent. Nat Protoc 2006;1:7-12.
10. Brown GR, Nemes C. The exploratory behaviour of rats in the hole-board apparatus: Is head-dipping a valid measure of neophilia? Behav Processes 2008;78:442-8.
11. Angoa-Pérez M, Kane MJ, Briggs DI, Francescutti DM, Kuhn DM. Marble burying and nestlet shredding as tests of repetitive, compulsive-like behaviors in mice. J Vis Exp 2013;82:50978.
12. Castro JE, Diessler S, Varea E, Márquez C, Larsen MH, Cordero MI, et al. Personality traits in rats predict vulnerability and resilience to developing stress-induced depression-like behaviors, HPA axis hyper-reactivity and brain changes in pERK1/2 activity. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2012;37:1209-23.
13. Saillenfait AM, Vannier B. Methodological proposal in behavioural teratogenicity testing: Assessment of propoxyphene, chlorpromazine, and Vitamin A as positive controls. Teratology 1988;37:185-99.
14. Myers B, McKlveen JM, Herman JP. Glucocorticoid actions on synapses, circuits, and behavior: Implications for the energetics of stress. Front Neuroendocrinol 2014;35:180-96.
15. Malathi S, Vidyashree HM, Rajan R. Role of Michelia champaca in memory enhancement and acute noise stressed male wistar albino rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:129-35.
16. Schneiderman N, Ironson G, Siegel SD. Stress and health: Psychological, behavioral, and biological determinants. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 2005;1:607-28.
17. Sarjan HN, Yajurvedi HN. Efficacy of an active compound of the herb, ashwagandha in prevention of stress induced hyperglycemia. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:44-9.
18. Sandi C, Pinelo-Nava MT. Stress and memory: Behavioral effects and neurobiological mechanisms. Neural Plast 2007;2007:78970.
19. Sandi C. Glucocorticoids act on glutamatergic pathways to affect memory processes. Trends Neurosci 2011;34:165-76.
20. Mitra R, Sapolsky RM. Acute corticosterone treatment is sufficient to induce anxiety and amygdaloid dendritic hypertrophy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2008;105:5573-8.
21. Anacker C, Cattaneo A, Luoni A, Musaelyan K, Zunszain PA,Milanesi E, et al. Glucocorticoid-related molecular signaling pathways regulating hippocampal neurogenesis. Neuropsychopharmacology 2013;38:872-83.
22. Kedia S, Chattarji S. Marble burying as a test of the delayed anxiogenic effects of acute immobilisation stress in mice. J Neurosci Methods 2014;233:150-4.
23. Haller J, Bakos N. Stress-induced social avoidance: A new model of stress-induced anxiety? Physiol Behav 2002;77:327-32.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.