PROTECTIVE EFFECT OF PHYLLANTHUS EMBLICA EXTRACT PREVENT CONTRAST-INDUCED ACUTE KIDNEY INJURY IN RATS
Objective: The objective of the study was to investigate the anti-apoptosis effect of the extract from Phyllanthus emblica (PE) for the prevention of contrast-induced acute kidney injury (CI-AKI).
Methods: Male Sprague Dawley rats were given saline (control) or PE extracts (500 mg/kg/day) for 5 days before the induction of CI-AKI. Renal tissues were collected for an evaluation of gene expression and immunohistochemistry (IHC). To indicate anti-apoptotic effect, the expression levels of Bax, Bcl-2, and caspase in kidney were also determined, using real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and Western blot analysis.
Results: In the CI-AKI group, RT-PCR and Western blot analysis revealed that the expression levels of Bax and cleaved-caspase-3 were upregulated in the CI-AKI group, whereas the expression of Bcl-2 was downregulated. However, the pre-treatment with PE increased Bcl-2 expression. Moreover, decreased cleaved-caspases-3 activity was also detected using IHC.
Conclusion: These findings suggested that pretreatment with PE extract provided the anti-apoptotic effect against CI-AKI in the rat model.
2. Rudnick MR, Goldfarb S, Tumlin J. Contrast-induced nephropathy: Is the picture any clearer? Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2008;3:261-2.
3. Gruberg L, Mintz GS, Mehran R, Gangas G, Lansky AJ, Kent KM, et al. The prognostic implications of further renal function deterioration within 48 h of interventional coronary procedures in patients with pre-existent chronic renal insufficiency. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000;36:1542-8.
4. McCullough PA, Choi JP, Feghali GA, Schussler JM, Stoler RM, Vallabahn RC, et al. Contrast-induced acute kidney injury. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016;68:1465-73.
5. Aspelin P, Aubry P, Fransson SG, Strasser R, Willenbrock R, Berg KJ, et al. Nephrotoxic effects in high-risk patients undergoing angiography. N Engl J Med 2003;348:491-9.
6. Brezis M, Rosen S. Hypoxia of the renal medulla its implications for disease. N Engl J Med 1995;332:647-55.
7. Buyuklu M, Kandemir FM, Ozkaraca M, Set T, Bakirci EM, Topal E, et al. Protective effect of curcumin against contrast induced nephropathy in rat kidney: What is happening to oxidative stress, inflammation, autophagy and apoptosis? Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2014;18:461-70.
8. Quintavalle C, Brenca M, De Micco F, Fiore D, Romano S, Romano MF, et al. In vivo and in vitro assessment of pathways involved in contrast media-induced renal cells apoptosis. Cell Death Dis 2011;2:e155.
9. Mueller C, Buerkle G, Buettner HJ, Petersen J, Perruchoud AP, Eriksson U, et al. Prevention of contrast media-associated nephropathy: Randomized comparison of 2 hydration regimens in 1620 patients undergoing coronary angioplasty. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:329-36.
10. Spargias K, Alexopoulos E, Kyrzopoulos S, Iokovis P, Greenwood DC, Manginas A, et al. Ascorbic acid prevents contrast-mediated nephropathy in patients with renal dysfunction undergoing coronary angiography or intervention. Circulation 2004;110:2837-42.
11. Li Y, Liu Y, Fu L, Mei C, Dai B. Efficacy of short-term high-dose statin in preventing contrast-induced nephropathy: A meta-analysis of seven randomized controlled trials. PLoS One 2012;7:e34450.
12. Tarwadi K, Agte V. Antioxidant and micronutrient potential of common fruits available in the Indian subcontinent. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2007;58:341-9.
13. Krishnaveni M, Mirunalini S. Therapeutic potential of Phyllanthus emblica (amla): The ayurvedic wonder. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 2010;21:93-105.
14. Kumaran A, Karunakaran RJ. Nitric oxide radical scavenging active components from Phyllanthus emblica L. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 2006;61:1-5.
15. Zhang YJ, Tanaka T, Iwamoto Y, Yang CR, Kouno I. Novel norsesquiterpenoids from the roots of Phyllanthus emblica. J Nat Prod 2000;63:1507-10.
16. Ngamkitidechakul C, Jaijoy K, Hansakul P, Soonthornchareonnon N, Sireeratawong S. Antitumour effects of Phyllanthus emblica L.: Induction of cancer cell apoptosis and inhibition of in vivo tumour promotion and in vitro invasion of human cancer cells. Phytother Res 2010;24:1405-13.
17. Baliga MS, Dsouza JJ. Amla (Emblica officinalis Gaertn), a wonder berry in the treatment and prevention of cancer. Eur J Cancer Prev 2011;20:225-39.
18. Ihantola-Vormisto A, Summanen J, Kankaanranta H, Vuorela H, Asmawi ZM, Moilanen E, et al. Anti-inflammatory activity of extracts from leaves of Phyllanthus emblica. Planta Med 1997;63:518-24.
19. Bandyopadhyay SK, Pakrashi SC, Pakrashi A. The role of antioxidant activity of Phyllanthus emblica fruits on prevention from indomethacin induced gastric ulcer. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;70:171-6.
20. Kusirisin W, Srichairatanakool S, Lerttrakarnnon P, Lailerd N, Suttajit M, Jaikang C, et al. Antioxidative activity, polyphenolic content and anti-glycation effect of some thai medicinal plants traditionally used in diabetic patients. Med Chem 2009;5:139-47.
21. Guo X, Ni J, Liu X, Xue J, Wang X. Phyllanthus emblica L. Fruit extract induces chromosomal instability and suppresses necrosis in human colon cancer cells. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2013;83:271-80.
22. Tasanarong A, Kongkham S, Itharat A. Antioxidant effect of Phyllanthus emblica extract prevents contrast-induced acute kidney injury. BMC Complement Altern Med 2014;14:138.
23. Ueda N, Kaushal GP, Shah SV. Apoptotic mechanisms in acute renal failure. Am J Med 2000;108:403-15.
24. Yaklin KM. Acute kidney injury: An overview of pathophysiology and treatments. Nephrol Nurs J 2011;38:13-8.
25. Wang F, Zhang G, Zhou Y, Gui D, Li J, Xing T, et al. Magnolin protects against contrast-induced nephropathy in rats via antioxidation and antiapoptosis. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2014;2014:203458.
26. Chu S, Hu L, Wang X, Sun S, Zhang T, Sun Z, et al. Xuezhikang ameliorates contrast media-induced nephropathy in rats via suppression of oxidative stress, inflammatory responses and apoptosis. Ren Fail 2016;38:1717-25.
27. Scartezzini P, Speroni E. Review on some plants of Indian traditional medicine with antioxidant activity. J Ethnopharmacol 2000;71:23-43.
28. Habib-ur-Rehman, Yasin KA, Choudhary MA, Khaliq N, Atta-ur- Rahman, Choudhary MI, et al. Studies on the chemical constituents of Phyllanthus emblica. Nat Prod Res 2007;21:775-81.
29. Lu Z, Nie G, Belton PS, Tang H, Zhao B. Structure-activity relationship analysis of antioxidant ability and neuroprotective effect of gallic acid derivatives. Neurochem Int 2006;48:263-74.
30. Stupans I, Kirlich A, Tuck KL, Hayball PJ. Comparison of radical scavenging effect, inhibition of microsomal oxygen free radical generation, and serum lipoprotein oxidation of several natural antioxidants. J Agric Food Chem 2002;50:2464-9.
31. van Acker SA, van den Berg DJ, Tromp MN, Griffioen DH, van Bennekom WP, van der Vijgh WJ, et al. Structural aspects of antioxidant activity of flavonoids. Free Radic Biol Med 1996;20:331-42.
32. Priscilla DH, Prince PS. Cardioprotective effect of gallic acid on cardiac troponin-T, cardiac marker enzymes, lipid peroxidation products and antioxidants in experimentally induced myocardial infarction in Wistar rats. Chem Biol Interact 2009;179:118-24.
33. Ban JY, Nguyen HT, Lee HJ, Cho SO, Ju HS, Kim JY, et al. Neuroprotective properties of gallic acid from sanguisorbae radix on amyloid beta protein (25--35)-induced toxicity in cultured rat cortical neurons. Biol Pharm Bull 2008;31:149-53.
34. Rasool MK, Sabina EP, Ramya SR, Preety P, Patel S, Mandal N, et al. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant effects of gallic acid in paracetamol-induced liver damage in mice. J Pharm Pharmacol 2010;62:638-43.
35. Prasad L, Khan TH, Jahangir T, Sultana S. Effect of gallic acid on renal biochemical alterations in male Wistar rats induced by ferric nitriloacetic acid. Hum Exp Toxicol 2006;25:523-9.
36. Caiazza A, Russo L, Sabbatini M, Russo D. Hemodynamic and tubular changes induced by contrast media. Biomed Res Int 2014;2014:578974.
37. Linkermann A, De Zen F, Weinberg J, Kunzendorf U, Krautwald S. Programmed necrosis in acute kidney injury. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2012;27:3412-9.
38. Romano G, Briguori C, Quintavalle C, Zanca C, Rivera NV, Colombo A, et al. Contrast agents and renal cell apoptosis. Eur Heart J 2008;29:2569-76.
39. Goodman AI, Olszanecki R, Yang LM, Quan S, Li M, Omura S, et al. Heme oxygenase-1 protects against radiocontrast-induced acute kidney injury by regulating anti-apoptotic proteins. Kidney Int 2007;72:945-53.
40. Malik S, Suchal K, Bhatia J, Khan SI, Vasisth S, Tomar A, et al. Therapeutic potential and molecular mechanisms of Emblica officinalis Gaertn in countering nephrotoxicity in rats induced by the chemotherapeutic agent cisplatin. Front Pharmacol 2016;7:350.
41. Mard SA, Mojadami S, Farbood Y, Gharib Naseri MK. The anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic effects of gallic acid against mucosal inflammation and erosions-induced by gastric Ischemia-reperfusion in rats. Vet Res Forum 2015;6:305-11.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.